Is there a good 200 scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VX-Freedoms can be found on sale for $200. Not sure if they hold up as well as older VX models but ive read the glass is as nice as a VXII.

The Leupold Freedom is one i have never tried? I wonder if their Quality is stil the Same? Are they actually compatible to the Old VX-1s?

I have a Freedom on an Accura MR that I bought for 160 or so from Midway when they first came out. It hasn't changed POI since putting it on and adjusting. Nice and clear.

Good to hear! I have always been a BIG Leupold Fan, they have treated me extremely well over the years, i have owned them since i was a kid in School, to Current, 35-40 Years. The Old Golden Ring Scopes were always the “Bench Mark” of a Good Solid, Quality Scope. Back in those Days Leupold was the “Go To” Scope for Serious Hunters

I have a couple VX-1’s and though I haven’t done a direct comparison I would say they are similar in quality to the Freedom. I have a handful of the VX freedom and have been pretty happy with them. Recently I was at the range shooting two rifles, one with a VX Freedom 3-9 and a VX3 2.5-8. When switching from the Freedom to the VX3 there is a slight improvement in brightness and clarity, mostly around the edges. However, when I went the opposite way VX3 to the Freedom, I really couldn’t tell a difference. If that makes sense... My only real complaint about the Freedom is that the clicks are sort of mushy, they are there but not really strong. This isn’t a big deal if you are a set it and forget it type of shooter. All my Freedoms have held zero quite well.

On Black Friday I picked up a Vortex Crossfire II. It’s my first Vortex but with the sales I got it shipped to my door for about $100. I think they are usually about $175. Anyway it had great reviews and was cheap enough to try it out without much risk. It too has pretty mushy clicks, but the clarity and brightness doesn’t compete with my Leupolds. I took it out at sunset the other day for a quick test. I was comparing the Vortex CFII to my also new Leupold BX4 binoculars which is NOT a fair comparison. However, with the BX4 I was able to see detail quite well and if there had been a deer there I could likely have still had enough detail to count points. With the Vortex CFII I really couldn’t see anything. Definitely could not have taken a shot with it.

These were not “scientific” experiments just my observations. I’m not a Vortex hater as this is there budget line and I don’t have experience with any other vortex optic. However, between the CFII and the Freedom, I would hands down go with the Freedom.

I’ve found that optics are like electronics in that you get what you pay for, and it’s a lot harder to hit your target if you can’t see it.

I use VX3 on all my western centerfire hunting rifles 4-14x or 3-10x. My prs rifles use Vortex Viper PST's or a Bushnell Elite nice scopes, not as good as the Razor or the high end german/austrian glass. The rifles that i shoot at the range for fun either wear VX1 or 2, or Nikon prostaff 3-9. Most of the midrange scopes like these IMHO are pretty comparable. I noticed the difference when looking through the $2000+ optics(not mine) or the really cheap $9.95 tascos. My two cents worth.

Bushnell Elites were quite nice other than a bit short on eye releif. The glass itself and scope is from Light Optical Works in Japan. Not bad at all.

You might find a Redfield revolution around somewhere and if it’s a hunting scope you want the accurange reticle is actually pretty sweet.
I think all of the revolutions were built in Oregon before they broadened their line and started building them overseas in the Philippines I believe
I was told that other than cross hair, the glass and internals were the same as a VX one

Unless you need to have the scope right away my personal suggestion would be waiting until you can spend at least twice of what your budget is right now. You’ll be surprised how much more you can get for that extra $200 especially when it comes to quality of glass and coatings.
I believe Midway still has the Sightron S-TAC tactical 3-15 FFP illuminated For $386
Another company that has stepped up their game dramatically is Sightmark when it comes to their Citadel series of Scopes. $400 for that model with everything comparable to the above mentioned Sightron
If you keep your eye on the sales you might find a Leopold VX3i in this price range or slightly more
Just a few thoughts

Last edited:
I to have found the VX1 scopes to be a good value.

I also have an Elite 3200 10X on an AR upper that has performed perfectly for many years and with 2300 rounds fired. Oh, the upper is a single shot from DJ Habitual Tinkering plans, chambered in the not so mild 50BMG round. For several years I have also used on of the Elite 3500 3x9s on an 06. Good glass.

Ken

Bushnell Elites were quite nice other than a bit short on eye releif. The glass itself and scope is from Light Optical Works in Japan. Not bad at all.

i have an elite 3200 on my Traditions, been on the gun for 7 years now and is still working amazing! Got it off Natchess for around $180 iirc.
My newest rig, CVA Accura V2 now has a Leupold VX Freedom on it and I love everything about it so far.

I JUST PUT A VORTEX CROSSFIRE 2 3 X 9 40mm ON MY NEW ACCURA V2. IT'S CRYSTAL CLEAR, HUGE EYE RELIEF, GREAT V PLEX CROSS HAIR or YOU CAN GET A BALLISTIC RETICLE, BEST WARRTY IN THE INDUSTRY NONE BETTER. $149.95 MUZZLELODERS.COM. OPTIC PLANENT, ETC.

You can get a Burris for the same price or a Loopie for about $50 more. I like my Diamondback HP and Razor but the Crossfire line are Chinese and the least expensive Vortex scopes. Now if you can find a deal on a Diamondback HP...that is a nice cheaper Vortex. Same glass as some of the Vipers. They pop up occasionally for around $200.

Back