Is there a good 200 scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with GregK on the Redfield. Daylight hours are scarce in Mizzery during the Alternative Season and found a 4X12X40 Revolution at Graf's in your price range. I took the surplus funds from my $200 budget and bought Leupold quick detach rings to make clean up on my Encore easier.

I had sent a weaver grand slam into Vista outdoors for repair or replacement under weavers life time warranty just about a year ago. A week into it or so a brand new bushnell trophy 3x9x40 was on my door step. I was beyond upset as I left instruction to call me before any decision be made . After several and I mean several calls and talks to bushnell I still have said scope . Its 99 to 150 doller depending where you go . On the outside its light ,short and glass does seem clear to my eyes. I see good reviews and I see bad like most anything . I may just give this under 200 bucks bushnell trophy a try .

My go to for budget scopes were always Bushnell 3200, Weaver Classic, and the Burris Fullfield II. In that order. The 3200 and the Classic were made in Japan and were pretty decent for the price. But even they were close to $200 10 years ago. Sadly, they are no longer made. Could always pick one up used, as they are around. I have had good luck with the Burris Fullfields and still have them on several rifles. The Burris would be a good option for a budget scope that is currently available.

While I do like the Vortex Razor line, which is not a 200 scope :) , I have soured on their other lines lately. Have seen to many failures at our club lately.

Sigtron is a great company, they just don't offer a lot of options on hunting scopes. With that though, I am a fan of theirs.

Athlon has good people there and offers a lot of options. Has a great warranty. I have a friend that uses a Argos on his 270. Surprisingly it did well in box and ladder testing. But I wasn't impressed with the glass. But then again, it's a cheaper scope so something has to give.

If you could go up some, take a look at Meopta!

Last edited:
a few years ago I bought my first vortex scope. I had a piece of absolute crap UTG scope on my air rifle. It didn't last 100 shots on my air rifle. I switched to a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44. At the time I was looking at Leupold but they didn't have anything that would focus down to 10 yards. Leupold is giving away the market on air rifles. It still had a UTG mount with the vortex scope.

OI5IhWu.jpg

Iwqnj7T.jpg

While the gun was accurate I was struggling with it still. I had to sight in every time I went out.
I switched to a BKL one piece mount and it was like night and day. The gun stayed sighted in all the time. I thought it was the perfect system.

O5DmyL2.jpg

zXaq9pX.jpg

That Crossfire II stayed on my air rifle for 5000 rounds. It was a great shooting system but I wanted a better system. I moved that scope to my 17 HMR. I put a BKL one piece mount made for bolt actions.

1JeAOuv.jpg

tKL0yeZ.jpg

DH5zlaB.jpg

XMZDvlG.jpg

ZuitQT6.jpg

That Crossfire has been on the 17 for a long time and still going great.
I decided to go to a Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP on my air rifle. Again I went with BKL rings but I upgraded them a bit.

cUdyip1.jpg

The original rings had screws that stayed in the ring. I took them out and added longer screws with Nylocks to keep them tight because of the recoil on the air rifle.
Before

Hl4PIJI.jpg

After

Mg2pvps.jpg

The Diamondback is not an amazing scope. When you get above 16x it is a little fuzzy. But the thing I LOVE about this set up is first it is FFP, and it has held up to the recoil of the air rifle. I can set the power to any level and the MOA marks are the same sight in. I can adjust the come up with the dial or the marks in the lens. It is ALWAYS sighted in. I do check every time I go out but it stays sighted in.

XGZpJPG.jpg

eZi7nRg.jpg

Back to the Crossfire II. That scope has been a good 200 dollar scope. My overall opinion of Vortex is they are a good scope. Well at least the ones I have had are. They have held up to the punishment of the air rifle and are still going strong. I liked the Diamondback so much I bought another one for my 17 hornet. And I put another crossfire II on my 264 win mag.
Like I said before I would have went with Leupold but they just are lacking in some areas. And don't get me started in the shitty Leupold range finders.

Idahoron, cool pictures!

Thanks, the picture with the little girl is a neat story. My wife runs a daycare and she was one of our kids when she was little. She loves to hunt and asked me to help her in a local Rock Chuck killing contest. That big one weighed 16 pounds. I had another one spotted that was about the same size. But she could never get a shot at it. Later that day she shot a 8 pound one that won her 3rd place and she won a 243 Winchester rifle. Then that fall she killed her first buck with it. So you can say she turned a chuck into a buck.

Thanks, the picture with the little girl is a neat story. My wife runs a daycare and she was one of our kids when she was little. She loves to hunt and asked me to help her in a local Rock Chuck killing contest. That big one weighed 16 pounds. I had another one spotted that was about the same size. But she could never get a shot at it. Later that day she shot a 8 pound one that won her 3rd place and she won a 243 Winchester rifle. Then that fall she killed her first buck with it. So you can say she turned a chuck into a buck.
Outstanding! Yes, very neat story and nice of you to do that for her.

Have you had any experience with these? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Seems like it has potential for the price point. Thanks
I own two from this line...with the exception of fixed parallax I think they are a great value..clear glass to the edges, good reticle and an unbeatable warranty...I had a Vortex and a Konus and ditched them both in favor of the Burris scopes. I've had several over the years and always found them to be excellent. I have a Veracity 4-20x50 on my Paramount and it's fantastic. Of all all the Chinese scopes, these are as good if not better than any of them. I know there are a lot of Vortex fans on here but I firmly believe there would be far less if they gave the Burris's a fair chance. They have a better sight picture IMO.

Last edited:
I seem to err on the side of quality, but one usually has to pay for it. Have had my share of cheaper scopes and they do have their place, but for me not on a deer hunting rifle. As for a $200 scope, I'd try and find a good quality used scope on Ebay or elsewhere. I just don't care for limited eye relief, and most of the cheaper scopes don't have much. Leupold screwed the pooch when they quit their VX-R line, great scope, and why they quit making it is a mystery to me. Meopta is a great scope. Minox not bad, but eye relief at higher mag gets critical. All depends on how much one wants to spend nowadays. Some of these scopes seems the sky is the limit! I expect to pay around $500+ for a decent no frills scope that I can trust. Definitely prefer a simple Illuminated Dot that is adjustable, can't be beat, my favorite being a Zeiss Classic 2.5-10x50i. Except for (~out to 100 yards) maybe a good Red Dot like Docter Optic (Noblex) or Aimpoint, of which I have several -- they are great on moving game, shoot both eyes open and loose no depth perception. Anyway, just a little rambling and my thoughts.

Here's a great link to scopes, if you find your model, it will tell you all about it and where it's made, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Link to Scope Info

Notice all the scopes made in Japan by Kenko or LOW? ;) Tons of nice optics have come out of LOW including Zeiss V4s and Kenko Japan makes all the upper end Sightrons.

Curious about the new Burris FF IV though, that link says Kenko in Philippines which is a great manufacturer. Everything else ive seen says its made in China. Kenko owns Sightron and their track record is pretty solid.

Info came straight from Doug at Camera Land
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-burris-riflescopes-have-started-to-arrive.7019780/

Last edited:
I'm running a vortex Crossfire 2 on my accura, its cheap, its accurate, its clear, its illuminated, and there simply is not a better warranty out there.

Back