Is there a limit to consistency?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole box (50) were sized 5 times to 15#. With the first 1/2 the box all identical at 15#, there was/is no reason to measure the other 1/2. Could I have, certainly, but they would have been identical to the other 1/2 at 15#.

I have not had any spring back with the XLD's after sizing them at least three times. I checked the bullets that I sized to load at 9# last fall while sizing this box and they remained at 9#.

There's been some discussion elsewhere about loading force and some believe its irrelevant and impossible to maintain identical loading forces. They are right but to a point. The testing performed indicates you can maintain identical loading forces BUT..... in a clean barrel. That means that each bullet is sized identical. What matters when shooting is what type of fouling builds in the barrel. That also can be controlled ....... TO A POINT. Totally dependent on the shooter method, propellant, etc.
Identical sized bullets with identical loading force, even in a clean barrel, is surely better than sized bullets that will load with up to 10# different.
wouldn't it also depend on the fouling , just a thought , only to prove would it not be by accuracy on a target

One thing I have wondered is this. Will passing the bullet through the die too many times work harden the jacket? If it does then what is that effect regarding obturation. Just thinking out loud.:think:
I'm with you, one and done.

I'm with you, one and done.
It will not affect obturation, at least not with the Arrowhead 350gr XLD's. All the bullets I shot at Camp Atterbury were sized 5 times, and I took first in the Inaugural match. Using 120grs VOLUME of BH and a veggie wad, they shot perfect out to 1,000yds. Both 45-70 and I were shooting the same bullet. I don't know how many passes he may have made???

It will not affect obturation, at least not with the Arrowhead 350gr XLD's. All the bullets I shot at Camp Atterbury were sized 5 times, and I took first in the Inaugural match. Using 120grs VOLUME of BH and a veggie wad, they shot perfect out to 1,000yds. Both 45-70 and I were shooting the same bullet. I don't know how many passes he may have made???
i had two

Back