Is there a limit to consistency?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Consistency, is there an extreme limit?

I guess I have too much time on my hands, which gets me to thinking about stuff that may or may not significantly matter.

This subject likely isn’t for muzzleloader hunters or even those who just like shooting. This is directed to those who are looking for the extremes in accuracy, especially long range.

The sizing of bullets and the end results brings up questions. I suggest most serious shooters believe that there is a “sweet spot” with each individual rifle as far as bullet loading force. Even for different weight and style bullets. I see where some shooters may state that “two fingers” works best for them. Others may say they need to load at around 20#. If that’s the case, then it should be true that each individual rifle has its own bullet “sweet spot” loading force.

Force can be subjective to each individual. What one person feels may be 20# could feel like 10# to another. In most cases, both are wrong. Force can actually be accurately measured with the proper equipment. There is in general just one way to measure force, in this case bullet loading force, and all other methods are inaccurate.

I would imagine I have a few already questioning my ability to make the above statement. For the record, I’m a retired Ergonomist and have accurately measured 10’s of thousands of forces over my working career. I’ve used extremely specialized equipment and gauges, including accelerometers. Bullet loading force can accurately be measured with proper tooling such as a force gauge. Force is measured when the object moves continuously steady at the slowest speed possible. Any acceleration will provide inaccurate readings in higher numbers. There are exceptions to that rule, but it’s unnecessary for this application. I own and use a force gauge for verifying all loading forces.

There is no question that some shooters using their consistent methods of sizing shoot very well and accurate. However, can their accuracy be even better? So if shooter “X” sizes their bullets to load at exactly 20#, how much difference in extreme accuracy might there be if the loading force fluctuated 5# both ways? If one bullet loads at 15# whereas the next bullet loads at 25#, how much could this affect extreme accuracy, especially at distance? Would there be a significant change in velocity, SD or ES?

I understand that there are some shooters that run their bullets through a sizing die just once, whereas others may run each bullet through the sizer 3 times. Could one process be more beneficial than the other? I guess both can be right if the results are acceptable to the shooter but, could one process actually be better for the extreme?

I have identified while sizing bullets, that only sizing them a single time varies the ACCURATE loading forces significantly, up to +/- 5#. I have also identified that if a bullet is sized 3 times, that the spread is lower and vary +/- 3#. A conclusion could be that sizing a bullet more than once provides a more consistent loading force. If that’s true, then how much could a consistent loading force contribute to extreme accuracy at distance?

I must note that to date my specific rifle shoots extremely accurate with a bullet loading force, in a clean barrel of 9#.

I sized up a couple boxes of bullets and one box I sized each bullet 3 times. I wanted a finished loading force of 20#. I noticed that they would vary +/-3# or so. I measured quite a few and was extremely careful not to accelerate loading and yet the force to load still varied. It brought up the question in my mind; can the spread be closed even tighter?

With the second box of bullets, I wanted a finished loading force of 15#. Thinking more about the difference between a single pass and three passes through the sizing die, I decided to run these bullets through the sizer 5 times each. It took a couple bullets to get the die set for a 15# loading force with 5 passes but it settled right in. I very carefully measured the loading forces of at least ½ that box of bullets, and again being careful not to accelerate loading. I actually found that after sizing each bullet 5 times, that there was the least amount of variance between bullet loading forces. The accuracy of each bullet loading force was so close to identical, that any differences in measurements were a direct reflection on me.

My conclusion is, sizing a bullet a single time has the highest amount of loading force variances, whereas sizing bullets more than a single time lessons the variance. From my testing it identifies that sizing a bullet 5 times makes loading forces of each bullet as identical as possible. However, how extreme does one want to go? Is the difference significant enough to change your process?

Gauge and such.jpg

Good post. I always pass mine through 3 times no matter what bullet. The loading force between 1 2 and 3 passes is very significant both in load force and accuracy, at leastm in my rifles. With 3 passes with the loads I am shooting they are a little tight at the (fouled) muzzle but then about a 2 finger push. The load pressure is the same after the first 2" from the muzzle to seating. My rifles I'm sure are capable of way better precision than my abilities. I don't change my die size, (bullet specific) after it is set. I have a few dies for different bullets. Also I have measured bullets and more passes through the die changes the size, (with jacketed bullets) very slightly to a point then I notice no change. I like how you think.:think:

I also run my bullets through 3 times with both Smooth Forming & Full Forming.
Since you ran 1/2 the box through your Bore for Resistance Testing don’t you want to do the other 1/2 so you are Consistent?
Have you experienced any “Springback” with those ASG X-LDs

I also run my bullets through 3 times with both Smooth Forming & Full Forming.
Since you ran 1/2 the box through your Bore for Resistance Testing don’t you want to do the other 1/2 so you are Consistent?
Have you experienced any “Springback” with those ASG X-LDs
The whole box (50) were sized 5 times to 15#. With the first 1/2 the box all identical at 15#, there was/is no reason to measure the other 1/2. Could I have, certainly, but they would have been identical to the other 1/2 at 15#.

I have not had any spring back with the XLD's after sizing them at least three times. I checked the bullets that I sized to load at 9# last fall while sizing this box and they remained at 9#.

There's been some discussion elsewhere about loading force and some believe its irrelevant and impossible to maintain identical loading forces. They are right but to a point. The testing performed indicates you can maintain identical loading forces BUT..... in a clean barrel. That means that each bullet is sized identical. What matters when shooting is what type of fouling builds in the barrel. That also can be controlled ....... TO A POINT. Totally dependent on the shooter method, propellant, etc.
Identical sized bullets with identical loading force, even in a clean barrel, is surely better than sized bullets that will load with up to 10# different.

Can you see a difference in accuracy between 3 passes an 5 passes? How significant is the difference?
I haven't had the opportunity to check yet. I wanted to size some bullets at a different loading force than what I currently shoot. When I can get started shooting, I want to compare velocities between the two 9# vs 15#. I'm always thinking about what I can do better than what I'm currently doing for improvement, so that's when I decided to back off the die and run them 5 times. Every bullet went from +/-5# to being identical loading force at 15# with 5 passes.

I would suggest that for most shooters, there may not be a significant improvement unless shooting is at long range. What I believe though is, from the testing using 5 times through the sizer, each bullet loads at the same force in a clean barrel.
I'm not certain I can really find a difference at the range available to me, which is only 600yds. Now I say that because of how my current load combination shoots at that distance. I've been trying and asking everywhere around here about any farmers that may have a place where I can shoot longer range. I'm coming up short. There is the MTC, but that's $250 for a membership, which is good for the quality of the facility. However its a 7hr round trip drive.

One thing I have wondered is this. Will passing the bullet through the die too many times work harden the jacket? If it does then what is that effect regarding obturation. Just thinking out loud.:think:

One thing I have wondered is this. Will passing the bullet through the die too many times work harden the jacket? If it does then what is that effect regarding obturation. Just thinking out loud.:think:
Dennis at Fury bullets would be the guy to ask that question I bet.... He'd have the ability to test the jackets.

Dennis???? :)

Thx, it was something I had thoughts about. As you well know there can be so many little variables that make a good shooting rifle into a great one. Now if I could just get my act together every time.

Thx, it was something I had thoughts about. As you well know there can be so many little variables that make a good shooting rifle into a great one. Now if I could just get my act together every time.
I have a friend who is a ballistician and a year or so ago, after learning of force gages purchased one. He's working his butt off 12hrs a day, but he told me he'd try to find time to duplicate the same process.

Just an update........ First the ballistician likely hasn't had the time to check. I wouldn't either working 12hrs 7 days a week. That's tough! Yes, they're trying to get bullets made for us :)

I PM'ed one of the guys on one of the SML boards who shoots more than most some questions. Evidently it got his attention and it wasn't long and we were spending a couple hours on the phone discussing and solving most all of the world's problems. LOL

The idea of rather the force of loading bullets, especially bullets that loaded identical forces got his attention, as he had never thought of the process. Long story short, he found a used force gauge on line and bought it. When he shoots, he always sends 5 XTP bullets to foul his barrel, then shoots Pittman. He also uses a LabRadar every time he shoots. His gauge registers in Nm so once he understood the conversion he was on is way. 1# equals 4.4n

After sending his 5 at 100yds to foul the barrel, he shot 3 rounds of 5 at 300yds and each round was sized to load at different force. First round of 5 were sized at 22nf (5#), second round of 5 were sized at 30nf (6.8#) and the third round of 5 sized at 34nf (7.7#).
Crazy good..... his ES ran 13fps, 12fps and 9fps. His best group was 1.3". No wads.

After another phone call full of discussion, the consensus is that with SML, the pressures to obturate the bullets are such that it doesn't matter what the loading forces may be. The bullets are going to fully obturate so it wouldn't matter if a bullet loaded at 5# or 20# with SML. The only question/s remaining were, would it make a difference using smokers, where the pressures are much lower??? He only shoots SML.

I'm not totally convinced that my Caldwell Precision chronograph is even close to a LabRadar. Probably shouldn't even associate the names together :)
But........ besides the ballistician (Alan) I know of no one who owns a force gauge other than myself. Nope, the wife WILL NOT let me buy a LabRadar!

So sometime this summer I'll run a test similar to what was ran with SML concerning loading forces and will be using BH209. I will shoot exclusively 84grs by WEIGHT of BH and will be using Arrowhead 300gr XLD bullets. Understanding that the average loading forces for shooting BH will be higher than SML, I'll use higher loading forces. Likely start at 9#, 15# and 25# loading force. I do plan on using the gauge to seat all bullets at identical force on the propellant.

I find this thread to be very interesting. I, like probably most reading these forums, have never heard of or used a force gauge. I see the value of consistent loading technique to achieve superior accuracy. I think it's somewhat similar to the amount of crimp a metallic cartridge case is put on a bullet. Thank you for posting this information and leading this train of thought.
I've watched the CVA production videos on loading technique on the Paramount and they sort of address this idea, but they don't go into much detailed discussion on the subject. IIRC, CVA's personnel in the videos simply state to push the ramrod down until you feel 1 or 2 "pops" with the bullet seating on the powder. I think they would have been using the Powerbelt ELR.
After using your gauge, can you give us an idea how inconsistent we actually are in our loading pressure even if we try to load consistently?

Thank You.

I found a force gauge for sale similar in appearance to the one you show in your photo.

After using your gauge, can you give us an idea how inconsistent we actually are in our loading pressure even if we try to load consistently?

Thank You.

I found a force gauge for sale similar in appearance to the one you show in your photo.

You will find that what people "think" is consistent is totally wrong. Its very hard to estimate force, even for someone that's done it thousands of times. I always used to put the flat attachment on the gauge, then let someone who "thinks" they can push 15# try it blind. I'll set the gauge lock on and hold the gauge and let them push.
Then let them try to hit 15# 5 or 6 times.

On the SML board, the shooter did another test with new and unsized bullets. Results were identical. With the pressures SML have, loading force has no affect on velocity or accuracy.

Hoping to repeat the same testing with BH soon.

As a supervisor in a materials testing lab , I got to see first hand what variables we humans add to any testing procedure. I found some technicians results would be in the center of the bell curve in round robin testing while others would be just off with greater standard deviations. Everything comes into play during testing. A seasoned technician can usually hone his sense of touch over time on a piece of equipment, very similar to a reloader seating primers or bullets with the proper neck tension. ). I routinely dealt with ASTM on many issues in regards to testing. So, your evaluation of resizing bullets is intriguing. It will be interesting to see the end results from multipe people. The quest for accuracy can be maddening.

.................... On the SML board, the shooter did another test with new and unsized bullets. Results were identical. With the pressures SML have, loading force has no affect on velocity or accuracy.

Hoping to repeat the same testing with BH soon.
Its known that when shooting SML that loading force does not affect velocity or accuracy.

However, when shooting BH209 loading force DOES matter. Loading force affects velocity. Increased loading forces increases velocity.

Is this because it acts like a compressed load of smokeless powder? I am an avid reloader and have at times used compressed loads. Thank you for doing this.

Is this because it acts like a compressed load of smokeless powder? I am an avid reloader and have at times used compressed loads. Thank you for doing this.
It is assumed....... with a higher loading force using BH, it appears likely that obturation increases which in turn increases pressure.

The data below had the loading forces verified by a Wagner force gauge. I'm a retired Ergonomist and have measured many thousands of forces.

Both manufacturer's bullets tested were 300grs. 84grs W of BH209

AVERAGES 2.JPG

ZERO adjustments to the scope. POA to center diamond. Bipod, no rear rest.

IMG_2279.JPG

Back