Is this twist to fast ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpiton

Reaction score
  • IBI 416 Stainless Steel Smokeless Barrel, Remington Light Varmint profile, 26", 1:15 twist rate, 7R, 50 caliber
Need 50 cal to be legal moose hunting canada.
I found this custom ML

Here in Ontario we aren't limited to .50 cal.
I have a CF Savage target action that has a Brux .45 , all Arrowhead components. I use it for deer and moose.
I use my muzzy during the regular firearm season, so caliber isn't an issue anyway.

Here in Ontario we aren't limited to .50 cal.
I have a CF Savage target action that has a Brux .45 , all Arrowhead components. I use it for deer and moose.
I use my muzzy during the regular firearm season, so caliber isn't an issue anyway.
how did you manage to get that riffle in canada

I picked up the donor rifle here in Canada and all of the components came from ASG and I put it together, The Savage is a great platform for a DIYer. One recommendation is to use a large shank action, still not as robust as a nutless build but more than adequate.

here's one built on a Savage target action the other on a Savage 12BVSS

BhxQMiA.jpg

kVHp7pv.jpg

I'm no gunsmith how easy is this done? Also what model savage are the best for this transition ?

So easy a Caveman can do it.
Any Savage center fire action is a good start. A short action but a long is suitable if that is all you can get. Model10,Model12,Model16 etc. any of them will work some are even built off of Axis models. The good thing is that the components are interchangeable. As stated I'd go with a large shank for a little more strength, I also preferred the stainless version ( purely for aesthetics, to match the stainless barrel).
A barrel wrench and vice is all that is needed, plenty of info on the web on how to do this.

Last edited:
i believe the 10 is a short action (length , not diameter) and 110 is a long action. ie. 308 vs 30-06 as an example . Either will work but stocks etc. are different.

i believe the 10 is a short action (length , not diameter) and 110 is a long action. ie. 308 vs 30-06 as an example . Either will work but stocks etc. are different.
I think i cant put my hands on a original savage 10ml II. Are those good out of the boxm if not are they easy modification

If you already owned an original ml11 it would be feasible to just change the barrel/breechplug and utilize the existing bolt nose. The stock savage smokeless muzzy's command a good price, so I would sell it buy a CF action.
The center fire is a better choice. the bolt has lugs therefore stronger.. Also the earlier stock savage 10ml11's were only small shank , the newer ones were large shank.

Or just buy the stock 10ml11 and you'll have your .50 cal smokeless for moose.

don't know about the 340 , might work tho

So a stock savage 10ml II is better than a Paramount pro in your opinion?

That's a personal choice, depends what you want in a gun. The Paramount has some nice features but I think there is an issue with barrel dia. and getting the correct bullet.
Nothing wrong with the Savage it's just that muzzleloaders have come a long way since the Savage first hit the stage.
Are you still looking for a .50 cal . if so the
Savage if it's a good price might be a turnkey for you. I am partial to smokeless

That's a personal choice, depends what you want in a gun. The Paramount has some nice features but I think there is an issue with barrel dia. and getting the correct bullet.
Nothing wrong with the Savage it's just that muzzleloaders have come a long way since the Savage first hit the stage.
Are you still looking for a .50 cal . if so the
Savage if it's a good price might be a turnkey for you. I am partial to smokeless
Got no choice of going 50 cal for Quebec hunting moose

Back