its getting close.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
My deer opener that is. 5 weeks from today.

I was checking on my supply of chunk apple, pear and cherry woods for smoking when I get to that point and found I had no hard maple so while I was up at the cabin last week I sawed a 7 foot section of 10" maple and brought it home. Today I dragged it out in the driveway and used a power miter saw to cut it into the 3" lengths I prefer. I bagged the rounds in gunny sacks and hung them so it'll be ready to split and use next year. I was short on apple chunks too so I pulled a 20"D section of apple stump cut to 12" that's been in the garage curing for two years and split it into roughly 2" sticks then ran them thru the saw to get my 3" stock. Plenty of cherry and still good on pear so hopefully the smoking can begin a a few weeks.

Last year I could buy pork butts all over at $.99/pound. This year its a joke. I may opt to take only one deer this year and use it for jerky and a couple batches of sticks. I can afford 25 pounds of butt to make a 50 pound batch of sticks but summer sausage I am still plenty good on as well as ring bologna and those can be passed on. Sticks and jerky seem to go fast so that's what I'll focus on and if I need to get a second license to make the 50 pounds of sticks fine, but I'll want at least that much in jerky.

Sorry but I'm getting tired of this phony labor shortage due to the enhanced unemployment during the height of the covid thing dragging on and causing meat prices to get so high. The country needs to stop pampering these lazy unemployment sucking a-holes and cut the $$$ string and do somethiong to put them back to work. The government says that all these shortages are due to a labor shortage.....maybe. They say that un-vaxxed people are aiding this shortage....maybe. As far as I'm concerned if these people don't want to work or can't because they aren't vaxxed, send them to Haiti with the next load of deadbeats waiting at the border. All this shortage schnit has gone on long enough and needs to stop. Sorry, I have lost any faith in the government regardless of political affiliation....BUT....

....my deer hunting season begins in five weeks and until then I'll spend time on the water. In six weeks I hope to smell of smoke. I'm ready for it. The lungs won't like me or enjoy the smoke but I refuse to change what I've done and cherished for over 50 years

I just bought pork butt at Meijers for .99 lb, I’m out of smoking wood
and am not supposed to be within 24” of a running chainsaw. They say it will interfere with my implanted electronics. Oh well, a small restriction to staying alive.

I should clarify, the regular 9 day firearms season opens here in 5 weeks, followed by a second 9 day season during the Thanksgiving week. I hunt the muzzies during that first season, an Accura V2 long gun and Optima pistol. We have an early December muzzleloader season that lasts another 9 days that I may or may not tinker with depending on the weather....can't tolerate breathing really cold air.

Week before in Northern Tier and week after in Southern Tier.

One week from tomorrow here in Michigan. Regular firearm from the 15th to 30th, Muzzy (or what used to be a dedicated muzzy seazon), within the first 2 weeks of December, and late Doe on private property thru End of year. Michigan is divided into 3 zones. Muzzy and late doe seasons vary by region. Been in upper 20s here in the SE at night. Been seeing a lot of Deer Smears on the freeways ,... be careful driving out there

Our gun season here in Indiana starts this Saturday,the 13th,and the weather calls for rain and snow mixed both sat and sun.But,that is why I built 2 ground blinds about 700 yards apart on the edge of the woods and a cut corn field.Better than Christmas.

Latest posts

Back