It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in this concrete/cinder block bunker that is burmed. It was not vapor blocked so condensation comes through floors n walls. My Under-hammer has problems with this humidity keeping the stain on. Its so gummy, this has been the worse time i have ever had trying to stain a stock n can not get it dry. I can put it outside in the Sun for 10 hours, bring it in & the next morning its wet n gummy.

Living in this concrete/cinder block bunker that is burmed. It was not vapor blocked so condensation comes through floors n walls. My Under-hammer has problems with this humidity keeping the stain on. Its so gummy, this has been the worse time i have ever had trying to stain a stock n can not get it dry. I can put it outside in the Sun for 10 hours, bring it in & the next morning its wet n gummy.
It's been a constant chain of setbacks and challenges with this build.! I really feel for you.

It's been a constant chain of setbacks and challenges with this build.! I really feel for you.
Well we are moving to Mo. Have made 3 trips with trailer & put our stuff in a storage unit. We are loading up our camper & big cargo trailer now. We should get it over on Monday. I think that will help with the bad humidity.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it happens sooner rather than later for you.
I hate moving, being Ex-Army, I have done more than enough for my liking. Next move for me will be from our house to the morgue, hopefully not for another 50 years at least.!

Well its Tuesday n i have my Custom barrel i picked up at the P O. Now with the move & my ML stuff scattered in diff storage units. I will try to find my parts to take to my Machinist friend. For him to drill n tap all the scope mount holes, nipple hole the under barrel lugs, pinning holes. I spect he may get to it done on his free time in a month. I am so hoping to get to hunt with it this Fall n Winter.

Well its Tuesday n i have my Custom barrel i picked up at the P O. Now with the move & my ML stuff scattered in diff storage units. I will try to find my parts to take to my Machinist friend. For him to drill n tap all the scope mount holes, nipple hole the under barrel lugs, pinning holes. I spect he may get to it done on his free time in a month. I am so hoping to get to hunt with it this Fall n Winter.
Yay..! Finally good news. 👍

Soon as i can get just a bit more able to get things in place. I will tend to your conicals shipping.
Mate there is no need to rush. I find this thread very interesting as I wasn't aware of what an underhammer was until now. Build this beauty first.!

Mate there is no need to rush. I find this thread very interesting as I wasn't aware of what an underhammer was until now. Build this beauty first.!
I shall have time to get your conicals n such together this week. Its been 6 weeks of busting my azz work moving from Ky. to Mo. This morning is the 1st morning i have had to sit here in my recliner and actually not have a fire in my pants for getting work done. I took my Under-Hammer up the road 112 miles to my friend. He has the tools to D&T all the scope mount holes n all of the thimble screw hole n underlugs. So when he is done i shall make another trip up to bring my rifle home to shoot n work on it. The 1:48 barrel will be my main tree rat killer. My 1:24 barrel will be my tick toter killer. Its not long on the deer season for me here. Oct. 6th starts a 3 day antlerless season. I don't know if i will get my Under-Hammer back that quick. I do have my Renegade .54 ready to go out to 75 yards. I should have my Hawken .45 ready this week also.

I shall have time to get your conicals n such together this week. Its been 6 weeks of busting my azz work moving from Ky. to Mo. This morning is the 1st morning i have had to sit here in my recliner and actually not have a fire in my pants for getting work done. I took my Under-Hammer up the road 112 miles to my friend. He has the tools to D&T all the scope mount holes n all of the thimble screw hole n underlugs. So when he is done i shall make another trip up to bring my rifle home to shoot n work on it. The 1:48 barrel will be my main tree rat killer. My 1:24 barrel will be my tick toter killer. Its not long on the deer season for me here. Oct. 6th starts a 3 day antlerless season. I don't know if i will get my Under-Hammer back that quick. I do have my Renegade .54 ready to go out to 75 yards. I should have my Hawken .45 ready this week also.
That's great news. Having been so busy of late, it will feel like a reward to be able to relax for a minute or 5. And getting your underhammer finished will almost feel like the end of a lifelong mission.!
I wish you all the best with your season and hopefully you fill your tags with some absolutely fantastic animals.!
I am about to get quite busy, I have some international travel with my work, then we are adding 2 weeks holiday at the end of it with my wife and kids. That will keep me busy until November when it will be almost too hot for much hunting.

IMG_0089w.jpg

I have about 45 degrees on the front edge of the trigger, that is how I tune the engagement.

More 45, less engagement!

IMG_0089xW.jpg

Last edited:
My gunsmith friend Bob, had to have surgery n has not gotten to finish up the loose ends on my Under-Hammer. Such is life, i maynot get it back in time this year to get it hunt ready.

Nothing to say yet. Gunsmith friend is still recovering. I can only wait on him until May. Then i will have to go get it no matter what has been done or not done. Be leaving here last of June.

Latest posts

Back