It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trader, if that wood is maple you could try an aquafortis treatment. Really makes any curl pop. Got mine from Track of the Wolf. Wipe it on let it dry and then use a heat gun to make the reaction work. Then your preferred protective top coat,, tru oil or whatever you like. I will dig up a picture of a maple stock that I did.

The gunsmith didn't use barrel lugs. He drilled straight through the bottom flat of the barrel.
Ok he drilled n tapped two screws into bbl flat to hold forarm on ? How far does the ramrod hang over ? I am curious n all ways done with these Underhammers is most interesting. I have 1 bbl lug n 2 thimbles i was going to use with mine.

I will let my reply post stay to show my ignorance n thanks for the learning me sumpin on this stuff

Last edited:
You’re correct. The forearm is pinned to the barrel not an under lug. The holes go all the way through the barrel. Leaves no interference with the ramrod channel. The holes are just enough into the barrel to hold, probably just about as deep as a dovetail cut would be. Kinda a neat way of doing it.

You’re correct. The forearm is pinned to the barrel not an under lug. The holes go all the way through the barrel. Leaves no interference with the ramrod channel. The holes are just enough into the barrel to hold, probably just about as deep as a dovetail cut would be. Kinda a neat way of doing it.
Not only a neat but is very simple n more frugal way of doing it. If i was only going to have the one barrel i also would do that.

Before and after pics. Auquafortis treatment. Minwax wipe on poly finish.
Good enough for me! I'll pursue this treatment once I get the fore stock done and I certainly thank you for your time in posting pics and great advice. Snowing sideways here, barely see the neighbor's across the street. Good day to make it out to my shop and get the woodstove fired up. Made sure the wife made it to work (20 mi) you know, priorities. Next I've got to finish deboning and fleshing out 4 elk feet to use as gun racks, my first attempt at that project. More work than the UH. Why do I do this to myself ? Dunno

Good enough for me! I'll pursue this treatment once I get the fore stock done and I certainly thank you for your time in posting pics and great advice. Snowing sideways here, barely see the neighbor's across the street. Good day to make it out to my shop and get the woodstove fired up. Made sure the wife made it to work (20 mi) you know, priorities. Next I've got to finish deboning and fleshing out 4 elk feet to use as gun racks, my first attempt at that project. More work than the UH. Why do I do this to myself ? Dunno
Trader like many of us, we all like to piddle around doing this n that. Plus its better than staring at the wall.

Well after 6 1/2 days without mail I finally got a look at the UH I bought online a couple back. Absolutely NO markings on any surface that I can find. Mystery UH design so far. 32" X 1-1/16 54 cal bbl. Looks like it might have been D&T for one of the Leatherwood type period correct scopes ?? Nice false muzzle and buttstock. Fore stock looks like maybe a sandbag benchrest type ? Anyone venture a guess as to origin, purpose or value ? Perfect, shiny bore, very light trigger BTW

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    679.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    713.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    702.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    694.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    710 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 0
Well after 6 1/2 days without mail I finally got a look at the UH I bought online a couple back. Absolutely NO markings on any surface that I can find. Mystery UH design so far. 32" X 1-1/16 54 cal bbl. Looks like it might have been D&T for one of the Leatherwood type period correct scopes ?? Nice false muzzle and buttstock. Fore stock looks like maybe a sandbag benchrest type ? Anyone venture a guess as to origin, purpose or value ? Perfect, shiny bore, very light trigger BTW
Glad it has arrived. My my that action is very nicely engraved. That is a real nice U-H , yes appears to be a target rifle like you said. Someone really did some work on the barrel bullet drop- muzzle alignment with the 3 pins. You have a Underhammer that be hard to find.

Last edited:
Look up Billinghurst underhammer rifle. I think it may be one of his designs? I saw a picture showing the false muzzle and the attached tube sight. Cool rifle you've acquired.

Latest posts

Back