It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 2 coats of Pecan stain on Forearm, will put 2-3 more on it. Have sanded down the butt stock, need to do some carving to fit the butt plate on. Have started sanding the action for smoothness, have not decided whether to put brown or blue it or gray it. Then getting Hammer straightened out from its poor casting curve. That will be all i can do until my barrel comes.
It has been my experience that most wood products will only except so much stain before the pours are saturated. On the other hand if you are applying an oil based finish you are on the right track.

My 2 cents.

Cheap but they are sure working good for me at least for my eyes
Interesting, I have the same rear sight on some of my switch barrels with a Ivory bead front, both in dovetails. Had the rear dovetail cut 3" forward of the action face. To gain or lose eye to sight distance I have the carbine version which is shorter, or the rifle version which is longer and brings it closer. Both Marble's brand and easy for me to see. These are hunting barrels. I'm working on peeps for two of my heavy barrels using the same front sight and I believe it's going to work out fine...Trader PS the "full buckhorn" is damn near a peep

I'm very happy with the sight so far the marbles brand have been economical and very functional for me I haven't moved back to my back dovetail yet I may never need to I just wanted to be able to have some flexibility being a first kit for me putting together If needed the flexibility.

It has been my experience that most wood products will only except so much stain before the pours are saturated. On the other hand if you are applying an oil based finish you are on the right track.

My 2 cents.
I am using Golden Pecan stain #246 oil based finish. Appears that it is getting just abit darker on each coat.

Just follow the instructions and don't be scared when it goes on, the brown occurs after the heat is applied. Just keep the heat gun moving until the color changes. The character of the wood will really be revealed when you apply the finish.
Well HB I got the Aquafortis from Track of the Wolf. It was packed in a small box with the bottle in a ziplock bag. The lid wasn't real tight and the instructions were so soaked I can't read them. Lost about 1/4 of content but still should be enough. Can you provide instructions ? can't be too complicated ? Thanx, Trader

Well HB I got the Aquafortis from Track of the Wolf. It was packed in a small box with the bottle in a ziplock bag. The lid wasn't real tight and the instructions were so soaked I can't read them. Lost about 1/4 of content but still should be enough. Can you provide instructions ? can't be too complicated ? Thanx, Trader
Sending a PM

I put 2 coats of Pecan stain on Forearm, will put 2-3 more on it. Have sanded down the butt stock, need to do some carving to fit the butt plate on. Have started sanding the action for smoothness, have not decided whether to put brown or blue it or gray it. Then getting Hammer straightened out from its poor casting curve. That will be all i can do until my barrel comes.
I simply put a few thin brass washers on the side of the hammer pivot shaft..Jus sayin'

Not much i can do with kit right now. When it warms up into the 70's i can stain my Forearm. I can cut n finish butt plate this week if i get free time. Just a matter of getting my barrel . I am going to make this kit a work in progress

Latest posts

Back