i've been given a older optima to use indefinitely :) need cleaning kit/accessories suggestions .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
we went to have dinner with the better half's sister and her husband Steve gave me a .50 cal. SS CVA optima to use indefinitely . he actually said i could have it because he has 2 knight ML's and he doesn't plan to ML hunt anymore that that he's gonna stick with his 308 . i told him that was too generous so he said just take it and use it as long as i like . he is such a good dude ! it was loaded but not primed and he said it hasn't been shot in 10 years or more ...... but we used a 1/2 inch socket to take the breech plug out and removed the bullet and 2 pellets and we also removed the simmons scope so i can put my AR 4.5-19 on it . it needs a good cleaning so i'll be posting questions about that here .

but it has a lot of buildup around the face of the firing pin hole and the barrel needs a good cleaning also . i can't see light through the breech plug and a thick paper clip just bends when trying to poke it through so cleaning supplies are first on the list since i can't/wont shoot it if it ain't good and clean . the trigger , hammer and firing pin feel nice though :) but i was thinking about flushing them out with wd40 just because .... unless you folks think it's a bad idea or suggest something else . i'll be using the search here to learn what y'all use to clean dirty/neglected ML'ers . i was looking a ML cleaning kits and supplies at Muzzle Loaders.com - Official Website but soooo much stuff is out of stock . anyhow ... i've got a smoke pole now :)
take care ,Jeff

BTW ... the half inch socket we used for getting the BP out worked , but it didn't seem to fit exactly snug as a bug . should i use something else ?

Attachments

• 20220409_182159.jpg
    20220409_182159.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 24
There’s an endless amount of cleaners and brands to choose from. I personally use Montana-X-Treme products but regardless of brand, you will definitely want a quality solvent to break up all the fouling/buildup in your barrel and soak the breech plug in it. 10 years is a really long time for a gun to have powder in it. Black powder and black powder substitute is very corrosive. You’ll need some cleaning brushes for your barrel. I prefer nylon over brass brushes but both work. It might take some time and a lot of elbow grease in scrubbing. Try a 7/16 socket on the breech plug.

First remove the barrel from the stock and forearm flush the breech area with very hot water not boiling this will remove the powder then use a sturdy cleaning rod push the bullet out examine the bore if it's is corroded you will have your work cut out for you use an oversized brass wire brush and hot water run the brush in and out till you feel most of the corrosion had been remove examine the barrel If pitting use a jag with a patch and JB's bore polish till your arm aches don't worry I have seen very pitted barrel still shoot Now for the breech plug soak it in very hot water you may want to invest in a new breech plug If the breech plug came out fairly easy that's a good sign Good Luck

If you shop around, you can probably find an original breech plug tool for the gun. If not, I would suspect that the plug is metric, 10-12 mm.?
A 1/8 drill bit inserted into the primer end of the breech plug and twirled around by hand will loosen up the crud in there.
Not sure about older guns but my Optima pistols firing pin assembly can be easily removed for cleaning. I know that the firing pin spring will corrode if not cleaned.
A simple wipe down and a drop of some kind of oil is always good to do from time to time.

we went to have dinner with the better half's sister and her husband Steve gave me a .50 cal. SS CVA optima to use indefinitely . he actually said i could have it because he has 2 knight ML's and he doesn't plan to ML hunt anymore that that he's gonna stick with his 308 . i told him that was too generous so he said just take it and use it as long as i like . he is such a good dude ! it was loaded but not primed and he said it hasn't been shot in 10 years or more ...... but we used a 1/2 inch socket to take the breech plug out and removed the bullet and 2 pellets and we also removed the simmons scope so i can put my AR 4.5-19 on it . it needs a good cleaning so i'll be posting questions about that here .

but it has a lot of buildup around the face of the firing pin hole and the barrel needs a good cleaning also . i can't see light through the breech plug and a thick paper clip just bends when trying to poke it through so cleaning supplies are first on the list since i can't/wont shoot it if it ain't good and clean . the trigger , hammer and firing pin feel nice though :) but i was thinking about flushing them out with wd40 just because .... unless you folks think it's a bad idea or suggest something else . i'll be using the search here to learn what y'all use to clean dirty/neglected ML'ers . i was looking a ML cleaning kits and supplies at Muzzle Loaders.com - Official Website but soooo much stuff is out of stock . anyhow ... i've got a smoke pole now :)
take care ,Jeff

BTW ... the half inch socket we used for getting the BP out worked , but it didn't seem to fit exactly snug as a bug . should i use something else ?

That breech plug is a 12mm. I have had to get a set of carb jet drill bits to open flash holes back up. Or some welding torch tip cleaners. But be careful as they can open the hole to far. Flush out the trigger assembly with brake clean instead of wd40 and then lube it with some light oil like RemOil spray or GunMedic cleaner/lube.

i got the breech plug cleaned out . got a small pot of water boiling , turned the burner off and dropped the BP in and went to wally world and got a little kit in the clearance isle with a nipple pick and that tiny little hole cleared out easily . thanks for the brake cleaner tip and rem oil ;) i don't think there's a BH209 BP for this model so i guess i'm gonna have to use pellets .... unless that tiny little hole will work for 777 ffg ??? i'm gonna place a order for stuff tomorrow and the optima $12 optima BP wrench will be part of it . i may still get the new BP also since it's only $16 . gotta see how it all adds up , we're on fixed incomes . i hope to get the cleaning and most needed accessories this week and come may get some pellets , primers and bullets .

is the 777 ffg easier to clean than white hot pellets ?
are there any pellets easier to clean than white hots ?
or are they all about the same falling behind BH209 ?
BH209 is too expensive for me given the recent price hikes :(

Other than BH209 all of the subs have a cleaning curve. Personally, I think if you stick with granular T7 in your Optima is the best choice for you and you'll enjoy the endless amount of charging options with the granular....you'll find the best accuracy with granular. All of the subs seem to have a glitch of some sort attached to them but T7 granular and BH209 are the easiest to master.

thanks , the bass pro near where we have to go on the 26th has 777 ffg for $40 .
should the 777 be measured by weight or volume ? i have a digital scale i use for my crossbow bolts and broadheads .
should i go with 209M primers or just plain 209 ?

Last edited:
Even though pellets are easy to use, if you do the math, per shot, pellets are way more expensive than using loose powder.
Regular 209 primers are better for T7.

thanks . i divided 16 ounces by 100 grains and i figure 70 shots per bottle .

should the 777 be measured by weight or volume ? i have a digital scale i use for my crossbow bolts and broadheads .
should i go with 209M primers or just plain 209 ?

You can do either method of making charges. For simplicity on getting the ball rolling I suggest just use a powder measure. Quick and accurate enough. T7 is not near as consistent in granule size as BH209 so weighing may be a moot issue with it if you want accuracy in weight down to the nth degree. In all of my CVA inlines I use a non magnum W209 Winchester shotshell primer with my BH209 and have zero issues regardless of outside temperature. The muzzleloader specific primers will create about as much crud ring as shotshell primers but for the sake of reliability when temps go down I'd avoid the use of them.

Once you get a rope around all the little things in getting started you may choose to weigh the powder but honestly there isn't a whole lot of difference between weighed and measured charges unless you are a die-hard target or distance poker.

I shot BH 209 using my original Accura plug with no problems, but the cost is outrageous. Loose powder is cheaper than pellets, and usually more accurate because you can vary the load for optimum accuracy.

On a different rifle, Badger Ridge gave me good advice and sold me some vent liners. They also sell a pin that will tell you when the vent liner is worn out. Vent liners are less expensive than replacing the breech plug. I shoot 777 and use a moist patch (just lick it) between shots. It prevents build up of the crud ring, and all my shots go where the first one went.

X2 on the plug mod. I do it on all mine if there isnt already a modded plug available from someone like ASG. Loose(granular) powder will always allow you to dial in a better load, even if you end up with a 100 grain load, than pellets.

i appreciate the suggestion but i'm brand new to muzzle loading and although i enjoy tinkering and building i won't be modifying something that could potentially harm me or worse .

what is a vent liner ?

if im %99 sure i'll never use bh209 (it's too expensive IMO) and that i'll be sticking with 777 fffg is there any real need or benefit to using a BP with a vent liner
?

Latest posts

Back