i've been given a older optima to use indefinitely :) need cleaning kit/accessories suggestions .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A plug with a vent liner virtually never wears out unless you flame cut the primer pocket. Them Leigh ventliners are way harder than the steel used to make most plugs. They last far longer. Its about $6 to replace a vent liner when it finally does.

As far as cleaning goes I’m cheap so my absolute favorite is dawn dish soap and hot tap water.

The corrosive element is salt. Salt dilutes with water. So rather than use a small amount of expensive cleaner, I will use a large amount of cheap water.

I made a little tool with a sewing needle to clean the tiny hole of my breech plug in between shots.

When I am out shooting, I use a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water to swab the barrel after every shot. The water clears the fouling the isopropanol helps it to evaporate.

I keep in mind it back when these things were invented they didn’t have hoppes black powder cleaner or anything like that.

Just remember to oil your rifle after cleaning with soap and water.

Many law-enforcement agencies use simple green, and then oil. That’s for modern firearms, of course.

Again, with black powder, the danger is the salt.

Latest posts

Back