I've found the cure for hawken/renegade stock cracking!??? Hopefully

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Since the renegade 54 i had started shooting erratically, and i noticed a crack in the stock on the opposite side from the lock,, I decided i needed a better mousetrap. I know its not really "traditional" but it will be darned functional! And i think it looks good too,,, Its a 50 cal,, Hopefully this laminated stocked version t/c Hawken i just received will be the ticket/cure... ??
tchawkenlaminated.JPG

Since the renegade 54 i had started shooting erratically, and i noticed a crack in the stock on the opposite side from the lock,, I decided i needed a better mousetrap. I know its not really "traditional" but it will be darned functional! And i think it looks good too,,, Its a 50 cal,, Hopefully this laminated stocked version t/c Hawken i just received will be the ticket/cure... ??
View attachment 15651
I saw that. Thought about bidding but damn, I’m running out of hiding places!

my little safe is "stuffed" now, but i have culled all i care to! Whatever brings one pleasure,, (variety is the spice of life?) This is just my 3rd ML.. I might want 1 more???
It’s always been like that... just one more. Mrs. has never asked or even hinted that I should sell one or two. Of those that survived the tragic boating accident. She is s a classic enabler “Ohh! That’s a pretty one!!” 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s always been like that... just one more. Mrs. has never asked or even hinted that I should sell one or two. Of those that survived the tragic boating accident. She is s a classic enabler “Ohh! That’s a pretty one!!” 😂
Thats a pretty one!!! My wife said that last week while she was at a gun shop with me,,, and bought herself a revolver!! (It had american flag grip stocks).. She had always been more or less non interested before,, & she asked me if she could get it... Heck yeah!! Do that any time you want!!! Let me know & i'll help you choose!!! (first time in more than 20yrs & i could have been knocked over with a feather!) Then a day later gave it to ahead of my birthday.. best gift ever!

Hopefully this laminated stocked version t/c Hawken i just received will be the ticket/cure... ??

Looks like a great gun and you might try a little less powder to keep that laminated stock from cracking.

Hopefully this laminated stocked version t/c Hawken i just received will be the ticket/cure... ??

Looks like a great gun and you might try a little less powder to keep that laminated stock from cracking.
i'm going to keep the 50 cal barrel in it., & see what happens. I don't see the lam stock cracking, but i could be fooled.. (I've not started load development at all) i have some 495 gr no excuses to try,, any load suggestions appreciated (i have both 2f & 3f powders) & put a mag spark nipple on it.

Don't over tighten the lock screw!
This times ten! The lock bolt exists to keep the lock from falling out of the mortise. It doesn’t require much torque on that bolt to accomplish it. I had one that was so mistreated and I repaired by boring out the hole to accept a bit of brass tubing. I glassed the tube in place and then glass bedded the tang and barrel. This was a Hoyt bored .58 Hawken and I shot a lot of maxi balls from the beast without any further drama. All of which could have been avoided by more judicious use of the screwdriver.

This times ten! The lock bolt exists to keep the lock from falling out of the mortise. It doesn’t require much torque on that bolt to accomplish it. I had one that was so mistreated and I repaired by boring out the hole to accept a bit of brass tubing. I glassed the tube in place and then glass bedded the tang and barrel. This was a Hoyt bored .58 Hawken and I shot a lot of maxi balls from the beast without any further drama. All of which could have been avoided by more judicious use of the screwdriver.
correct, that was one of the first things i checked when i got mine,, (read about that on this site sometime before i got my renegade) ,,, there should be virtually no energy transferred into lock upon firing. (i noticed the crack on the inside when i first got the walnut 54 cal. too many people over tighten all screws!! the first thing i did when i got each of these was disassemble to check out what was hiding underneath.... I'll probably bed both mine.. though its my least favorite gunsmithing activity,, the lam stock has a chip at very end of the tang, (small & looks repaired) .... though i'm sure it's settled now, & lam stocks are hard as a rock already.. Also,, i just noticed brownell's has lyman tang peep sight in stock!! so i ordered one of those for it... i've got to quit this ml spending! By the way, how much of your barrel did you bed?

I can remember the admonition NOT to over tighten the screws holding the lock in place as far back as I was reading about muzzleloading guns. I started at 14, and by the time I saved my money to buy my first rifle at 17, it was pretty much ingrained in my head. Why Thompson/Center rifles seem to disproportionately suffer from this malady, compared to other brands, has always puzzled me.

I guess it was just too many newbie shooters with no concept of how to handle tools that led to so many cracked stocks. Which are pretty hard to effect a repair that will stabilize the crack.

Congratulations on that laminated stock. Thompson/Center made very few of them, so you are quite fortunate to have been able to pick one up in such good shape.

Just about every TC Patriot pistol suffers from above said malady, overtightened lock screw and "magnum loads." The laminate stock will take more recoil without any probs.

That is a great looking stock!
Thanks! It's the only one i've ever seen of "cherry".. Seems like i read somewhere it's good for longrifle stocks because of hardness like maple? I bought the blank at a rimfire tournament ~20yrs ago, & Mrs Haley turned it into a stock with his duplicator, (sometime just before 2010 i think) & told me it wore out/destroyed the router blade! (it was so hard).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back