Just bought a Taylors 45 cal cylinder for my 1858 Pietta 44 Remmy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadmandu

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a box of 45 LC they are
Fiocchi Cowboy Action Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) 250 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Box of 50

Shark Coast Tactical 55.00 with 18.00 shipping

My question is what smokeless powder do they use and how many grains. Do they use a filler. I want to learn how to make reloads that are close to the above round
Thanks

16505071929517153784704656075375.jpg
Right from the Lyman Cast Bullet book with a 250 grain lead bullet they state that Unique is potentially the most accurate load. I still cant find Unique or Trail Boss locally. I keep looking. Ive been shooting Red Dot and some 230 bullets lately. Get yourself a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Its got lots of great info, not just loads.

Attachments

• b209blackpowdercartridgedata (7) (1).pdf
    232.6 KB · Views: 6
I bought some Trail Boss last year to try, but I haven’t loaded any yet. Work has gotten in the way of my reloading since last summer. I‘ve got a friend that swears by TB for 45 Colt.

TB while used for Cowboy action does not mean its all that low in peak pressure.

From Hodgdons load data
eYAbguo.png

Thanks guys that is great info. I read that you can load 45 lc with black powder or smokeless for the conversion cylinders. But if you use smokeless that the load needs a filler. Because of the volume of the load is so much less. I had to pay 70.00 for 50 rounds with shipping. If I start reloading I know it will be half the cost but will the supplies be hard to find

Some powders for sure will be hard to find. The more popular ones especially. T7 can be found easiest and makes a good cowboy load. Obviously primers will be the big problem.

Back