Just bought my first Muzzleloader (MK-95 .50) and need some help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinohyde

Reaction score
Let me tell y'all a quick story.

I have hunted nearly my entire life, however, I have always HEAVILY focused on bow hunting, occasionally breaking out the ole .308 when needed. This year, I got a wild hair and decided to actually take advantage of Black Powder season here in Oklahoma rather than bowhunt through it. I borrowed an old .50 T/C Scout from my dad and after one shot was hooked!

I immediately scoured every gun shop and pawn shop within 50 miles looking for a muzzleloader I liked for a decent price. I stumbled upon a shop that had two Knight Muzzleloaders, a .50 MK-95 and .54 MK-85. The shop owner mistakenly told me that the MK-95 used the knight discs, and offered me a fair price so I went for the .50 MK-95.

When I first found out about the MK-95 and what it really was I was concerned and considered taking it back, but, after reading several posts in this forum over the past few days, I am actually pretty excited about it now and want to keep it.

Which brings me to this post.

I am having the hardest time tracking down some Speer 38 Special plastic cases, so I didn't know if anyone here had any leads on where I could buy some?? Also, has anyone tried using the C&R casings for wax bullets that accept a #209 primer?

Plan to start with some Hornady SST 250 Gr with either Blackhorn or 777 pellets. Any recommendations there?

Lastly, if anyone has an old MK-95 or has some spare parts for one they'd like to be shed of, hit me up, lol!

Thanks for all the advice I have gained through this community so far and I'm looking forward to any and all advice!

Last edited:
IDK much(anything really) about the 95 or the other items youre looking for. But I would go back and buy that 85 as well. Its one of the few .54s that I would really like to own. But i can also say this. Congrats and welcome to the ML club, brother.

IDK much(anything really) about the 95 or the other items youre looking for. But I would go back and buy that 85 as well. Its one of the few .54s that I would really like to own. But i can also say this. Congrats and welcome to the ML club, brother.

I'm really trying to find room in the budget for it, lol!

The MK85 in 54cal is one of the absolute best handling rifles i have ever shouldered. The balance is wonderful. The trigger is excellent. Get some 54x50 sabots and 50cal handgun bullets like the Speer 325gr. You got a super nice deer hammer. That bullet performs great at ML speeds.

I was really debating on whether or not to go get it. While the MK-95 is incredibly interesting, the MK-85 would be infinitely more convenient to have considering you can still get parts for it and such. I'll probably go back today and haggle the best deal I can out of them. A .54 would be cool to have as well and seems like a highly sought caliber. If I remember it was in excellent condition as well.

The bullet i mentioned is THE bullet Knight shipped with the 54cals. Its perfect in every way for a 54cal ML. Speer made that bullet for 50A&E. Alexander Arms used in in their 50 Beowulf ammo for awhile at just over 1800fps. Its a bonded jacket bullet (UniCore) you can get cheap when you can find them.
RIEtwwY.jpg

ni7tBm0.jpg

Is there anything the same between the 2 guns? Seems like the triggers at least might be interchangable. Can you convert it to 209 ignition from what you have in it now?

youve taken yer first step down the rabbit hole! C'mon in, theres plenty of room. Don't think about the $, just do it.

Haha, this is not the advice I need! But yeah, I am very excited to delve into this. To answer your other post, I'm sure the triggers should at least be the same, yes. It's my understanding that most all Knight triggers are Timneys, correct?

All MKs should have Timney triggers unless someone swapped them out. They will have TIMNEY stamped on them. The other triggers are a Timney clone designed by Tom Vehr. He worked for Timney and Knight. Those triggers will stamped with "Knight".

Can you convert it to 209 ignition from what you have in it now?

I have no information I can add but for those that know can the 95 be changed to a FPJ ignition (Red Plastic Jacket)?

Called Knight and they claimed that the 209 conversion for the MK-85 was not compatible. Now that I own both I would be inclined to agree. MK-95 is a pretty unique style.

I look for Shawn T to chime in, he has a mk95, and he is very knowledgeable on the mk95.

I look for Shawn T to chime in, he has a mk95, and he is very knowledgeable on the mk95.

That's who I'm hoping does, but I doubt he has anything to say that I haven't read already, lol! Right now he is essentially the pope of MK Muzzleloaders as far as I'm concerned.

That's who I'm hoping does, but I doubt he has anything to say that I haven't read already, lol! Right now he is essentially the pope of MK Muzzleloaders as far as I'm concerned.

I forgot that Shawn had one - send him PM message. He will respond.

I have a mk-95 in 54 cal. Had one in 50 cal but sold it a few years ago. I’ll check my inventory on the 38 special cases, I may have some I could sell. It is a great gun.

The MK-95 is a cool gun, but i don't know much about them.

I have a small collection of MK-85's. My favorite muzzleloaders. I just bought a stainless .54 in a black laminate stock. Finally found some of the Speer 325 grain bullets but haven't had time to shoot it yet. What configuration is your riffle? I have messed around with 209 conversions before. For my money, stay with #11 caps in an MK-85. I didn't see any advantages shooting loose powder.

Last edited:
I have a mk-95 in 54 cal. Had one in 50 cal but sold it a few years ago. I’ll check my inventory on the 38 special cases, I may have some I could sell. It is a great gun.

Awesome, that'd be very appreciated!!

Latest posts

Back