Just bought my first Muzzleloader (MK-95 .50) and need some help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What configuration is your riffle? I have messed around with 209 conversions before. For my money, if stay with #11 caps in an MK-85. I didn't see any advantages shooting loose powder.

The MK-85 has a blued barrel, the forest green laminate stock, and uses the #11 primers. The shop also had a an old Williams peep from knight still in the package, so I snatched it up to put on the 85. He also happened to have some solid talley mounts for the MK-85, so I bought those to try on my MK-95. I'll probably buy the 209 conversion for the 85 just to have on hand. He also had two or three plungers for an MK-85 that I'll go back and buy just to have some spares.

The MK-95 is in what I'd consider near perfect condition. Stainless barrel, black synthetic stock, posi-fire system. No scratches, scuffs, or anything like that. Looks better than one you'd find on the shelf at Walmart lol

Does the threaded knob at the end of the action have a set screw on the side? If it does make darn sure you loosen it good before trying to remove the plunger assembly on the MK85. Later models did not have the set screw.
33718899_4.jpg

Sjx5q3Z.jpg

Yes it does have one, I assumed that's what that little screw was for anyway, good to know I guessed correctly, lol!

Another thing about early MKs. Some did not have Green Mountain barrels. They also used Lothar Walther, Wiseman? and super early ones had Numrich but those are slower twist iirc. I think there was one other brand Tony used too before going to GMB. Might have been Bo Clerke? If it only has 6 lands its NOT a GM barrel.

Count the lands.
Wiseman are 6 land and the crown is sort of funnel shaped.
Pretty sure Lothar were 6 lands and the crown is rounded. Ive only seen the LW barrels in blued but there might be some in SS too. Just never saw one.

Do you mind explaining what you mean by lands? That is not a term I've come across, lol!

Based on some googling and the info you've given me, I'm pretty positive it's a Lothar.

All MKs should have Timney triggers unless someone swapped them out. They will have TIMNEY stamped on them. The other triggers are a Timney clone designed by Tom Vehr. He worked for Timney and Knight. Those triggers will stamped with "Knight".
Not to ruffle any feathers but this statement is not true. I am the owner of several mk-85's that do not have Timney stamped on the trigger and I guarantee you the triggers were never swapped. The triggers are still great in every respect BTW.
FWIW, Art

Are they possibly Bold triggers on very early MKs? Not sure if Bold was even stamped on theirs. Ive never seen any with other than Timney but ive never had or seen a NIB very early MK in person.

Tom Vehr didnt join Knight until around 1995? I think he was still at Timney before that.

These are rifles that were produced in the 80's and very early 90's. If they are Timneys, which is possible, they don't have the name stamped on them. I really would be surprised if they were Bolds.

Sorry for coming in late to the thread. I wandered away from the Forum for a while earlier this year and have not been logging in as often as I had in the past. Just happened to see you posted this thread.

I did get a Pm from Rhinohyde and sent him some info.

Yes I actually have 3 of the MK-95s, 2 50's and one 54. The MK-95 50 cal was my first inline.

The MK-95 is Not FPJ compatible when using the Posifire ignition. I suppose it could be if you had the #11 ignition installed and used the Plug for 209's (from the MK-85) but I personally don't see any need for that. It would be the same as installing it in the MK-85.

As you might have found there really are no parts left for them. I have had to have some made. The Trigger, sights, Plunger springs and some of the #11 ignition parts plug are compatible between the MK-95 and the MK-85. On the #11 plunger kit the End cap is the one part there that is different. The MK-85 end cap is Male threaded and the MK-95 is Female threaded.

A couple good things about the posifire is that the plastic case makes the ignition pretty water resistant (Not sure its completely water proof but close. The second is that since the Posifire used Large Rifle Mag Primers it does not wear the Flash holes like any of the 209s do. One good plug will last a Very Long time. I have used mine in some Very Heavy down pouring rains and never had ignition issues, and I did not go out of my way to cover the action up. Just a Kids Balloon over the muzzle.

I just looked around at places I normally got the Speer Plastic cases and could not find any either. That seems to apply to a lot of stuff at the moment.
I saw you might have gotten some of the cases. I can't remember how may I have put away but might have some.

If you want anymore info in the MK-95 Post it up and I will try to keep track.

Back