Just call me “dry ball”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delight523

Reaction score
Lord knows I have earned it. Sunday was a week ago I dry balled my Green Mountain barreled T/C Hawken. No excuse, was all by myself on the range, no distractions, just did it. I removed the nipple and packed as much 4f under it as would go. Reinstalled the nipple, aimed at the side berm, CCI Magnum cap. Boom! Ball into the berm.Two days ago, at our Club’s Woods Walk, I dry balled my smooth bore Trade Gun TWICE. This month I decided to try something new, a Durafelt lubed wad under a naked .625 ball (my bore measures .630) topped with a thin card to hold it all in. The first few target went well, and when I did my part I was hitting things. Then on the Ram I thought something was up when I went to pick the touch hole and could not feel any powder. Sure enough, dry ball. I dribbled some 4f at the touch hole and tapped the side to settle things, primed and fired at the Ram. Whoosh, TINK. I actually hit the it! Then two targets latter, same dang thing! I dribbled the 4f, etc. Took aim on the Bear, whoosh TINK! I had the guys rolling on the ground laughing. Well, not rolling but there was much laughing and peopling coming from down the line wondering what was going on (The TINK was heard all around).

So, why am I using 80 grains of 2-3f when a grain or two of 4f will hit the targets?

LOL that's funny. NOW HOW OLD ARE YOU? I do believe in all my about 50 years of shooting muzzys I think I only dry balled once. I did get a couple patch/jags stuck in the bore until I got smart and pinned them to the ramrod and had to shoot them out.
I bet that I just jinxed myself and will dry ball the next time out!!!!!!!

Yes, only did it once, and I was showing a newby the ins/outs of muzzle loading... I covered up (somewhat) and said "see that's what you don't want to do." He got a lesson on how to get the ball out via the nipple removal trick, like you did.

Lord knows I have earned it. Sunday was a week ago I dry balled my Green Mountain barreled T/C Hawken. No excuse, was all by myself on the range, no distractions, just did it. I removed the nipple and packed as much 4f under it as would go. Reinstalled the nipple, aimed at the side berm, CCI Magnum cap. Boom! Ball into the berm.Two days ago, at our Club’s Woods Walk, I dry balled my smooth bore Trade Gun TWICE. This month I decided to try something new, a Durafelt lubed wad under a naked .625 ball (my bore measures .630) topped with a thin card to hold it all in. The first few target went well, and when I did my part I was hitting things. Then on the Ram I thought something was up when I went to pick the touch hole and could not feel any powder. Sure enough, dry ball. I dribbled some 4f at the touch hole and tapped the side to settle things, primed and fired at the Ram. Whoosh, TINK. I actually hit the it! Then two targets latter, same dang thing! I dribbled the 4f, etc. Took aim on the Bear, whoosh TINK! I had the guys rolling on the ground laughing. Well, not rolling but there was much laughing and peopling coming from down the line wondering what was going on (The TINK was heard all around).

So, why am I using 80 grains of 2-3f when a grain or two of 4f will hit the targets?
Repeat after me: POWDER, PATCH, BALL, CAP....POWDER, PATCH, BALL, CAP.........

LOL that's funny. NOW HOW OLD ARE YOU? I do believe in all my about 50 years of shooting muzzys I think I only dry balled once. I did get a couple patch/jags stuck in the bore until I got smart and pinned them to the ramrod and had to shoot them out.
I bet that I just jinxed myself and will dry ball the next time out!!!!!!!
It happens to everyone though I've done it more than once on the same day

I still do and will until I am too feeble to participate in this wonderful sport. I've done it while by myself also. Must be all the voices in my head distracting me! It's very common at shooting matches where there is more dialog.

I haven't shot my ramrod, yet!

Walt

Latest posts

Back