Just dont give up!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took Vixen, my .50 flintlock long rifle, to the range today. Same load, same box of Hornady .490 balls, same bag of Ox Yoke pre lubed .018 patches, same bag of Ox Yoke pre lubed .54 caliber wads and my usual 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
I noticed that, while I still needed a little help from the starter, it was less than previously.
Ramming was noticeably smoother. Patches. Literally could have relubed and shot.
Derped my first shot... Then fired 3, 3 shot groups. First was an inch. Second was inch and a quarter and the third was 5/8ths. The 9 rounds landed in 1 & 3/8ths. This at 50 yards, on an 85 degree morning with an uncomfortable level of humidity.
Not only are these Vixen's best groups to date, they're my best flintlock groups. Ever.
I've had this rifle longer than any flintlock. Will be a year the 12th of August. Now maybe she just got broken in? She showed little use when I got her. Or maybe the Renegade provoked her to jealousy?
Anyway. The lesson I'm taking from this is, just don't give up!

Did you change anything else???? Your rest maybe??? Trigger job????

I know some-days I shoot better than others. Caffeine or soda may have an influence on you. Maybe you were more relaxed and in less of a hurry. I often only shoot 10-12 shots per session. Too many more and it turns into a marathon. I plan before I shoot what bullets, powder, primers, gun I want to shoot.

Practice does make improvements.

Resting out towards the muzzle, per Chuck Dixon. Started that last year and it helped. She has a great ( single) trigger.
I agree about personal issues and conditions. I was feeling a bit determined that day...
I only take 10 rounds to the range. No fatigue and makes things last a bit longer
One good day does not a trend make. But it was a GOOD day!

Back