Just Fun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday a dozen vials were loaded with 95g Blackhorn with hopes to have fun today. The 45 Omega with Bestill' breech plug was also loaded with 95g Blackhorn, and vegetable fiber wad, and 300g Fury Star Tip. This morning off we went to have the anticipated fun.

Not so fun. Wind blew bullets all over target at 200 yard. Was nervous one bullet might hit the target frame; damage it. Decided to replace the target with a laundry jug filled with water, and head out to 300 yard.

IMG_4754.JPG

The jug is the little white thing kinda in the middle. Dialed the 2-7 scope up to 14¼ moa. Loaded the rifle with 95g Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 300g Fury Star Tip, and a 209A primer, then tried to smuck the jug; missed a bit to the right, and a tad low. Visible in video. Of course the miss was due to the wind..................

Reloaded the rifle, held on the left edge, and a bit high, and made a second attempt ---------- that was fun.

Just fun is right! Cool videos.

I wish I had a place to shoot that far as I'd love to do that with my White's. I hear you have to aim at least 24" higher at 200yds? Can only imagine how high at 300 yds.
Negative..
You aim at the target and shoot...

Ron: can’t seem to edit - but you do have to turn the dial on the scope...

You do your thing, the gun/load do theirs!

......you do have to turn the dial on the scope...
Rick, Yes, i do dial for longer ranges, with the zero being 100 yard. For this load, 6 moa for 200 yard; 14¼ moa, maybe a tad more, for the 315 yard shot this morning at the jug.

Ed, For my bullets the drop at 200 yard would be about 16", if the zero were 100 yard. The drop at 315 yard would be about 48" if scope zero is 100 yard. For me works good to dial for the range; not hold over. Am not familiar with how your bullets fly. Sure do like your bullets. Actually not familiar with how these bullets shot today fly.

That was good shooting with the wind blowin like that, great video

Yesterday a dozen vials were loaded with 95g Blackhorn with hopes to have fun today. The 45 Omega with Bestill' breech plug was also loaded with 95g Blackhorn, and vegetable fiber wad, and 300g Fury Star Tip. This morning off we went to have the anticipated fun.

Not so fun. Wind blew bullets all over target at 200 yard. Was nervous one bullet might hit the target frame; damage it. Decided to replace the target with a laundry jug filled with water, and head out to 300 yard.

IMG_4754.JPG

The jug is the little white thing kinda in the middle. Dialed the 2-7 scope up to 14¼ moa. Loaded the rifle with 95g Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 300g Fury Star Tip, and a 209A primer, then tried to smuck the jug; missed a bit to the right, and a tad low. Visible in video. Of course the miss was due to the wind..................

Reloaded the rifle, held on the left edge, and a bit high, and made a second attempt ---------- that was fun.

How do you figure your moa? Do you use simple math or a phone app? I am a little confused because I figure 16 inch drop divided by 2 inch equals 8 moa, am I figuring write?

How do you figure your moa? Do you use simple math or a phone app? I am a little confused because I figure 16 inch drop divided by 2 inch equals 8 moa, am I figuring write?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A3749CB6878AC4D08D90A37&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
EDIT: Although this is the method used, you still will have to actually fire at those ranges to determine the exact drop from your specific barrel. To many other contributing factors for it to be exact. Any changes in charges or bullets will also require additional verification by actual shooting.

Last edited:
How do you figure your moa? Do you use simple math or a phone app?..............

Don't have a phone. Don't know how to use simple math to calculate how a bullet flies. Did go to Hornady website a couple weeks ago, and use their calculator to calculate ballistic for a different bullet. Do use Hornady' ballistic calculator often to provide an idea how a bullet will fly. Used the calculation for that other bullet to get a starting point for this bullet.

ballistic265.jpg

A rangefinder is necessary. A rangefinder is required for one to be able to dial the correct moa. The OP mention the bullet was shot at 200 yard. Where the bullet landed at 200 yard, and the ballistic calculation, led to a 315 yard guess. Somehow the guess for 315 yard was kinda close. Kinda weird how this bullet flies similarly to the way the other bullet flies? No, not really.

Latest posts

Back