Just out of curiosity, What works out of your Encore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2112

Reaction score
I have an older Encore, a 50 caliber, that Ive never taken a deer with. It had plenty of range time, but I have no confidence in it. I always grab something else after I lost a nice doe years ago.

What is your favorite hunting load for yours? I shot 80G of Pyrodex (volume - like I said it was a ling time ago), under a 250g TC cheap shot. I know every barrel is different, Id just like to see what others use.

I want it to start earning its keep....

Thank you

Kb

I’m a heavy conical guy, regardless of powder - your Encore 50 with 1:28 twist can handle it. Keep your powder and charge, try some No Excuse conicals.
This rifle and load surprised everyone at the 1st NMLRA match in 2013, out to 330yds.
The paper patch bullet used was shared with everyone and the thin full bore copper jackets today are the result.
Practice and good luck.
08800E1B-B161-4CAF-AA22-810CF530CE1A.jpeg01E8DA82-9A78-47FA-95CD-FEDCB1C61498.jpeg

I have an older Encore, a 50 caliber, that Ive never taken a deer with. It had plenty of range time, but I have no confidence in it. I always grab something else after I lost a nice doe years ago.

What is your favorite hunting load for yours? I shot 80G of Pyrodex (volume - like I said it was a ling time ago), under a 250g TC cheap shot. I know every barrel is different, Id just like to see what others use.

I want it to start earning its keep....

Thank you

Kb

Have yet to find a TC that won’t shoot 110gr BH209 (by volume) 250gr Hornady SST or Barnes 250 TMZ or a PT Gold 260gr in a Harvester short black sabot. Many many clovers at 100yds with every Encore, Omega or Triumph that I’ve shot it out of.

Like above, Mine also likes 110 gr BH 209 by Volume with a 250 Gr .501" Thor.

Your Encore might also benefit from a Bellm Oversize Hinge Pin & Spring Kit.

It has a high probability of needing a hinge pin and spring kit ; I have several and they all shoot best wit 110 or 115gr. of Blackhorn 209 and a 250 gr. bullet, I use a Lehigh for hunting and a SST or a Shock wave for long range target. None of mine will shoot at all well with less than 100gr.

Latest posts

Back