Kentucky pistol range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had the Kentucky pistol out this morning for my first 3 shots. 45 cal. Patched round ball over 25 grains of Swiss 3f.
Range 20 yards, shooting off the sticks.
Made short work of this pesky watermelon.

Attachments

• 20200815_104442.jpg
    20200815_104442.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200815_104543.jpg
    20200815_104543.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 14
If it is 9"-10" of actual bore length, then you should be able to use a 50-60 grain charge for hunting with a tightly patched ball. What is the depth of the rifling? If Dixie Gun Works sells your pistol, then they will list the bore, and groove diameters for the barrel. Subtract bore from groove and divide by 2 to get rifling depth.

If the rifling is deep enough, you should be able to find a patch/lube/ball diameter that will seal the grooves completely, to allow for hunting weight power charges.

Get close enough, and it will kill a deer, just like a rifle.

If it is 9"-10" of actual bore length, then you should be able to use a 50-60 grain charge for hunting with a tightly patched ball. What is the depth of the rifling? If Dixie Gun Works sells your pistol, then they will list the bore, and groove diameters for the barrel. Subtract bore from groove and divide by 2 to get rifling depth.

If the rifling is deep enough, you should be able to find a patch/lube/ball diameter that will seal the grooves completely, to allow for hunting weight power charges.

Get close enough, and it will kill a deer, just like a rifle.
Thanks for the info, I will check into it more.
My buddy has the same gun but a flintlock. He said he uses 40 grains of powder. He killed at least 2 deer in Vermont with his.

My buddy has the same gun but a flintlock. He said he uses 40 grains of powder. He killed at least 2 deer in Vermont with his.
Just increase the powder charge until unburnt grains are ejected from the muzzle, then back off 5 grains, or so. That will be your maximum charge, but best accuracy will probably come from an even smaller charge.

Is his an older gun like yours? I'd do MORE research before putting 40 grns. in it.

I shot 40 grains of 2f with a .45 rb with no problems when I still had mine. I shot a .45 maxi out of it at 40 grains. Little bit of a buck to it but it handled it just fine.

Back