Kids First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdmouse29

Reaction score
There’s a kid in my youth group at church that has been wanting to get into hunting. Decided to take him on a muzzleloader elk hunt and bought him a CVA Wolf. Pretty excited to get him out!
I use an accura, can I use the same loads for the wolf? Or will the shorter barrel need a lighter or hotter load? I planned on starting off with 90 grains ffg triple seven and 295 powerbelt lead conical. My gun loves this load, 4 shots touching at 100, the wolf should theoretically like this too, right?
Be praying, if you pray, that this kid can have a good time and enjoy hunting. He’s been having a hard time right now.
Thanks guys!

How big of a kid? Definitely don’t want to get him trigger shy. My twelve year old was shooting the 195 grain TC shockwaves in the blue sabot out of my Optima with 90 grains BH209 and that was okay for him. He’s a pretty good size for a twelve year old though.
congrats on your Accura shooting cloverleafs. I’ve never got better than 1-1/2” out of mine.
Shouldn’t have to monkey much with powder charge based off of barrel length I would think, but then again, every rifle is an individual.

He’s a 17 year old so I don’t think he will be recoil shy. But that’s a solid point to think about. Didn’t even cross my mind.
ya I hope it’s accurate for him. We will find out Wednesday.

90 grains of bh209 and Barnes 300 grain expander is a great elk load. I have a wolf in my group of muzzleloaders and it likes 80 grains of bh209 pushing a Barnes 250 grain expander.

Sadly, we live in idaho and that isn’t legal. Only lead conicals.

Good for you to help him. If you can involve him in the whole sighting in of the rifle, I'm sure he'll love it.
Should find the sweet spot for the wolf somewhere in the 70 to 100 grain ballpark. Hopefully those same bullets you use will work out good.

My experience with elk is that heavy bullets are better. Much better. I shoot a 405 gr. bullet. The recoil is pretty harsh. When shooting off the bench, use a rest that is tall enough so he's not leaning into the gun. That helps. A folded sweatshirt between the butt and the shoulder also helps. I never flinched until I started using really heavy loads in my muzzleloader, so now I use a shoulder pad when I practice, and I don't shoot too many shots at a session, usually around 10.

Well, it was a successful hunt but we didn’t harvest!
I had him using a 385 grain Great Plains with 100 grains of powder. He was lights out at 100. I was really impressed.
We had shot probably 40-50 rounds through the gun so he knew he was on and felt confident.
He could only go one day after his elk so we had to make it count. Sure enough, the elk were right where I had scouted them and they were all bedded up. Wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour so it covered our movement and sound really well. We had snuck to 100 yards of this cow and she busted us. I sat down and had him set up with his shooting sticks. 100 yards is what we practiced at and I knew that elk was good as dead. He took his time and pulled the trigger...the cap went off but nothing else. I had him hold it on the elk for what felt like a lifetime to make sure it wasn’t a hang fire.
I gave him my accura, all the while this cow is still standing broadside, and when he shot i knew he shot right over her. He had never shot my gun before and I forgot to tell him my trigger was a lot lighter than his. I couldn’t believe it.
He had a great hunt even though he missed. Hopefully the picture posts clear so you guys can see how many elk were in this canyon. It was an awesome hunt!

Attachments

• C27F1BD0-48C7-4D13-A752-4B77F2D7F673.jpeg
    C27F1BD0-48C7-4D13-A752-4B77F2D7F673.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 24
That's awfully kind of you sir, not enough of that left in this world. Seemingly small things can have a great impact on peoples lives. Great stuff.

Well, it was a successful hunt but we didn’t harvest!
I had him using a 385 grain Great Plains with 100 grains of powder. He was lights out at 100. I was really impressed.
We had shot probably 40-50 rounds through the gun so he knew he was on and felt confident.
He could only go one day after his elk so we had to make it count. Sure enough, the elk were right where I had scouted them and they were all bedded up. Wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour so it covered our movement and sound really well. We had snuck to 100 yards of this cow and she busted us. I sat down and had him set up with his shooting sticks. 100 yards is what we practiced at and I knew that elk was good as dead. He took his time and pulled the trigger...the cap went off but nothing else. I had him hold it on the elk for what felt like a lifetime to make sure it wasn’t a hang fire.
I gave him my accura, all the while this cow is still standing broadside, and when he shot i knew he shot right over her. He had never shot my gun before and I forgot to tell him my trigger was a lot lighter than his. I couldn’t believe it.
He had a great hunt even though he missed. Hopefully the picture posts clear so you guys can see how many elk were in this canyon. It was an awesome hunt!
That’s the kinda stuff that makes you want to come back year, after year. Replaying the shot in your head, over and over again, wondering what you did wrong. Congrats on a fun hunt for that young man, and a thank you to you for caring enough to take him out, not only to shoot but, to hunt as well.

Latest posts

Back