Killer Instinct Ripper 415 with Spitfires deliver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those mechanical broadheads? I have always shot G5 Montecs with good success.

Yes! I have always shoot these for 20 years.

s-l640.jpg

upload_2020-3-9_10-7-16.png

im just wondering if those chisel tips fair any better than these one piece?
The shoulder hit resulted in a dead eight pointer.
I can't give you a comparison for fixed vs mechanical broadheads. I do know the Spitfire fly like the same weight target tipped arrows. To me that is very important. Once I confirmed it I never waste time practicing with my expensive mechanicals. There are many fellow crossbow hunters on Crossbow Nation Forum that have lots of opinion. Many of them are the same as mind. Since NAP started making mechanicals like the Spitfire there as many that made similar style.
I ran across a clearance special on the NAP Killzone recently that I plan to test next fall.

In these photos below is a crossbow kill that I found over a year ago on our hunting property that a neighbor took a poor shot. The Muzzy fixed blade went in the right lower jaw just behind the mouth crease. That was the first place I found while looking for the cause of death. As you can see the exit wound still had the arrows blades and broken body lodged. The coyote caught up to it the night before.

I spined shot a nice 8 pt once with the Spitfire . He went down immediately.

20181110_091823[7576].jpg 20181110_092625.jpg 20181110_092640.jpg
\20181128_222106.jpg

I dont care for those style with replacable blades. They seem too fragile to me. Looks like that one glanced off something. The Montec is a solid broadhead, and i had a not quite square shot on a shoulder that left a gash but didn't penetrate. Bounced off. I haven't shot any type mechanicals from my Barnett WhiteTail crossbow. I used to years ago from my Diamond Black Ice bow. Now the Montec is all I shoot. I may give those mechs a try in my crossbow.

It is what we get used to and have confidence in that seems to be what we go with. I will not say I will never change because one should always desire the best. There is lots of competition in the crossbow market these days with laws changing. That is how we get so many offerings. There are so many baby boomers coming to retirement that we have great influence on the market because we have so much buying power.

Below is a list that I discovered: There are many more besides these and it gets sort of watered down because there are so many. To me it about finding a set up that delivers the back straps consistently. Get them in close and it's easy.

Best Crossbow Broadheads for Deer in 2020
  • Rage Crossbow X – Top Mechanical Crossbow Broadhead.
  • Excalibur Boltcutter – Top Fixed Blade Crossbow Broadhead.
  • Muzzy Trocar Crossbow.
  • NAP Spitfire Crossbow.
  • Grim Reaper Crossbow Broadhead.
  • Swhacker Two-Blade Crossbow Broadhead.
  • Cabela's Lazer Strike II Crossbow.
  • Muzzy Trocar HBX.

Cool! I don't pay more for arrows than arrowheads. Arrowheads cost more than twice my arrows.

I like the carbon express shafts. Like you say, we stick with what we know and get used to. easy for me to try dif broadheads. Especially now with gun ranges closed. i can still shot bow and crossbow in my yard. I just added some string dampeners to my crossbow and have to shoot it soon to see how much quieter it makes it. Then try some heavier broadheads.
https://www.barnettcrossbows.com/barnett-string-dampener

I like the carbon express shafts. Like you say, we stick with what we know and get used to. easy for me to try dif broadheads. Especially now with gun ranges closed. i can still shot bow and crossbow in my yard. I just added some string dampeners to my crossbow and have to shoot it soon to see how much quieter it makes it. Then try some heavier broadheads.
That is something i gotta get muzzy . My compound is hurt with a worn axle bushing on the top wheel and i havent fixed it in , im ashamed , 10 years + !!! Still should fix it and restring it too . I WANT a crossbow tho too . Dam Wanter is outa control......
I think i might need a shrink......

Ive had my eye on a Mission that is LITE !!! Too many toys on the list...

Last edited:
Those will help! Not sure you can detect the difference unless you use a meter. I added another set of limb dampers and can't tell for sure.
During my bow hunting crossbows string pop has never been an issue that I could absolutely confirm caused a miss. It never hurts to improve the weapons.

In the pass ten days a friend inspired me to shot my Ripper at long range. He showed his efforts so I wanted to know what I could do with my Ripper 415 setup.
Here are the results of my 100 yard challenge.
I knew from my initial tuning that arrow #6 hit the center target spot 2 times consecutively. From those results I decided to shot #6 repeatedly to check for accuracy.
Here are those results from the bottom right to left.
#1 shot was a warmup shot and missed left. I didn't change anything.
#2 shot hit bullseye
#3,4,5 shots hit just left but tightly grouped then the rest followed in good order.
For me this was outstanding.
Since I previously had shot at 40, 60. 80 yards hitting all with the scopes reticle values I was very pleased to know ny setup was dialed in for accuracy.
20200727_192003.jpg

One remaining item was left to confirm in the scope reticle. The bottom post tip in the reticle was some unknown distance longer than 100 yards.

So August 1, Saturday I shot my Killer Instinct Ripper 415 to determine the yardage value.
View this video to see how I did.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgy4o--7k1z78blMEwh6R2Q

Spell check got me. I was referring to the 1500 dollar ravin crossbow in my previous post.
Man gotta recognize a good when he sees it.
Thanks 😊 I feel I have discovered a miracle at my young age in shooting skills. It is a challenge to beat that with a rifle.
Far

Back