Kinda new, but then again not

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys(maybe gals) new to the site. Really enjoy it. Going thru some frustration? That might be the phrase. I've had my .50 rolling block for about 2 years now. Opening weekend i decided, "by God i'm gonna give this ML some hell, so whitetail deer watchout!" Well long story short this gorgeous doe waltzes my way, not but 50 yards away. Go thru the motions and fire. FREAKIN MISS!! AHHH!! What happened? I Haven't missed a deer in 15 years! Then it taunted me for about 20 seconds. Frustrated walked back to camp to blow off steam while i delt with the "ha ha Davy Crockett statements from my friends." I thought it might be the load, but later we decided to see if that was the case. Set up targets, and it was dead on. I'm using 2 777 50gr w/ 295gr powerbelt. So what was the deal? Nerves? Newer Rifle? Lighter grain? Any help would be great.
Anyways, later that afternoon went back out with my .270 Savage, and bagged her(at least I'm gonna think it was her). Rvenge is so sweet.

It could have been one of those random flyers we all get but hate. if that helps

Those powerbelts are bad for not punching through a deer...out of 4 deer I shot with them only one was a pass through, and no blood trail either.

I used to date a girl from West Texas back in my USAF days, but thats another story. :lol:

What worries me is that you were using 2 pellets and had a 50 yard shot. It very well could have hit the deer but fragmented and didnt offer much blood. I have a gut feeling that if you were to go back and look around, you may end up finding that deer dead.

80gr charges with that 295 would be A LOT better! They fragment very easily with that huge hollow point in them when pushed to fast.

Another story? You must mean Dyess AFB. They're all crazy 'round here. I'll give the 80gr a shot Sunday afternoon. Gotta zero my "new" CVA in as well. Should i try to use a differnet sabot?

malicai steamroller said:
placed right behind the shoulder blade, nah i never did walk over there for blood, maybe i should have
I take it back, my father says if you can not say anything good, dont say anything at all!!!

What you need help in is carryin youre lazy ass 50 yards to where you shot that deer. you can walk back to camp, set-up a target, walk back, shoot at the target, walk to the target to look at it and walk back to camp to get your 270 and walk back to your stand, but you cant walk 50 yards to look for blood? What did the deer do when you shot? Don't know, why?, because I couldn't see, Why could'nt you see? Too much smoke! Then go look for blood Dummy!- Your dad should have wore a helmet-

Back