knight bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just did a little test here in the cold weather with my knight mountaineer bh209 and harvester white lightning bullets. i loaded it a week ago and put in case in garage. we have had temps well below zero here latlely. the powder seemed to ignite fine and shot bullet well. when i took it out of the case i just backed out secondary safety pushed primary safety forward and didnt want to fire like the safety was on or not cocked or something i lifted the bolt brought it back checked primer re engaged bolt and it shot fine. when you pull the bolt back and prime it shoudnt it be cocked and ready.. when hunting should you have to work that bolt once in a while? anybody with a mountaineer have the same issue? thanks

Correct - when you lift the bolt handle up the hammer assembly is pulled to the rear. When you close the handle the bolt should catch on the trigger assembly. And be in the ready to fire position.

If it is not doing that the trigger may be dirty and catching the bolt or the trigger is out of adjustment. When the bolt is close, the secondary safety is off there should be a Red line visible around the rear of the hammer assembly

i brought it in after firing it and worked the bolt and dryfired it on the spent primer it seemed to work ev ery time. what adjustment would there be and can a person get an upgrade trigger assembly??

There’s a stickey at the top of this in-line section that might help “Timney trigger adjustments “.

also i dont think the bolt operates as free as it should sometimes i really have to mess with it to get it to pull back, i just thought it was because i was dry firing on spent primer.

If I am understanding your problem then I had the same issue with my DISC. I found that the two e clips holding the safety onto the side of the trigger were cupped enough to keep the safety from fully disengaging. The e clips are on the side of the trigger and hold the "safety plate?" in place. There's another thread that shows the details of what I am talking about and I believe that same thread recommends replacing those e clips with enhanced e clips as opposed to regular e clips. I purchased enhanced e clips from McMaster-Carr. PM me if you need to replace yours. Also check out the thread that shows how to adjust your trigger.

Mine appeared to be functioning properly as well and snapped on and off just like yours. At first I didn't notice the e clips were cupped. I took it apart again and that's when I noticed there was excessive "slop" in the safety plate. The slop in the safety plate was preventing the safety from moving all the way over. I could slide the safety on and off and it appeared to be working fine but it wasn't. This may not be your problem but look at those e clips closely and make sure that plate is perfectly flat. I talked to Steve Bryan at Knight and he confirmed that those e clips are prone to cupping and causing the problems that I was having. He was exactly right.

This might help.
NOTE to all,

If you have damaged, or lost the "E" clip that holds the safety on, it is a 1/8" re-inforced "E" clip
NAPA number is 1308 (the box store "E" clips are not a large enough diameter). The re-inforced ones are .030 dia larger.

For the safety check I drop the butt 2 feet to the floor

Just leave off the Trigger assembly and try the bolt alone. If that works ok then your Trigger sear is probably binding for some reason. Could be Saftey lever (as mentioned) or dirty. I had one that was dropped and it dented the side of the trigger frame a tiny bit causing the sear to bind. It could also be the Firing Pin assembly in the bolt too, if you have not disassembled it, it might need cleaned out too.

I only see one e clip and it’s on the opposite side the safety is on looks like a pin runs through from safety to left hand side of trigger. Only 1 e clip it appears to be flat

Attachments

• D6732E42-D68B-4B66-8493-27DD18C1D72E.jpeg
    D6732E42-D68B-4B66-8493-27DD18C1D72E.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0DF504A3-D02F-49FC-9A5E-8AC255CED2D8.jpeg
    0DF504A3-D02F-49FC-9A5E-8AC255CED2D8.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 17
My mountaineer trigger doesn’t look like that one. Evidently they made a change.

That doesn't look like my trigger either. Of course mine is an older DISC. That is definitely a change for the better compared to mine.

As per their advertisement , timney fully adjustable, match grade trigger. :lewis:

Back