Knight breech plug MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one know if there is a size difference between a 50 cal and a 54 cal #11 breech plug for the MK 85? I currently have the slot type in my 54 cal and would like to change to a hex head style. I've only seen the 50 cal plug for sale. I have not called Knight, thought maybe some one would have first hand experience. Thanks

There was a year cut off of the older 5/8" plug but don't remember what it was. The current plugs that you see for sale is the 11/16 x 20 plug and most of the later 54cals used the same plug. Just pull it out and measure it. If it is 11/16" diameter then any of the current plugs out should work. Here is a list of the plugs they made. Note the top one and the 3rd down. Other than hex head on the new one, the 3rd one down is the most popular I have seen.

WV Hunter said:
Shawn I think you have it backwards, the new ones are 5/8. As far as I know, all the .50's take 5/8". There were some .54's that were 11/16", and some that take 5/8" also. My .54 MK takes a 5/8".

The new hex head plug is 5/8" - M900023.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1372210.htm

Harleyboss...break out the tape :D
May be. I thought the later 50 cals all had a 11/16 plug too. I just pulled the one from my MK-85 54 and it is definitely an 11/16 plug but is slotted too. I don't have one in 50cal though or the new Hex type. Possible I am mixing up the MK-85 50cal and the MK-95 50 cal. All of the MK-95 plugs (50 and 54) are 11/16.

HarleyBoss,
If you have a caliper that would be best way to make sure. 5/8 =.625 and 11/16 = .687. Measure across the threads.

WV Hunter said:
Shawn I think you have it backwards, the new ones are 5/8. As far as I know, all the .50's take 5/8". There were some .54's that were 11/16", and some that take 5/8" also. My .54 MK takes a 5/8".

The new hex head plug is 5/8" - M900023.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1372210.htm

Harleyboss...break out the tape :D

Well I just finally found a pick of the M900023 package and it is a 5/8 x 18 plug. So I did get them mixed up. Guess I had a senior moment and mixed up the MK 95 and MK 85. :roll: :d'oh!:

So apparently it was just the 54cal that they used both sizes at different times.

I pulled my plug and its a 4 slot model and measures at 11/16 . I think I will call knight and see what they think. My LK93 ss 54 cal has the exact same plug in it. Hmmm.

Harleysboss said:
I pulled my plug and its a 4 slot model and measures at 11/16 . I think I will call knight and see what they think. My LK93 ss 54 cal has the exact same plug in it. Hmmm.

So I wonder if Knight makes a newer hex head 11/16" plug? Definitely worth a phone call. I still have a slotted head in two of my MK's. They work perfectly, its just the hex head plug doesn't require the slotted tool. I may change them someday, but its not on my short list.

Harleysboss said:
Just curious but is something wrong with the one you have?

Will be interesting to see if the new Knight has one of them, so let us know. I had to have some made for my MK-95's.

No nothing wrong with the original. I just don't care for the slotted plug. There's just enough play in the tool that it's sloppy in the cut outs of the plug. I called knight and left a message. Have not heard back today. I will post any word that I get from them.

You should hear back from them by Christmas. :D :D :D I'm not positive. bit I don't think they ever made the 11/16 plug with a hex head. The very early .54 calibers had the 5/8" plug just like the .50 and .45. For some reason they changed to the 11/16 at some point.

They did make a 11/16 hex head but ive only seen them in FPJ style. Knight still offers the FPJ conversions in 11/16.

I checked the 2006 catalog and i didn't see the 11/16 MK85 percussion plug listed. It did say to call customer service though for other applications. Not listed in the 2016 catalog either.

Anyone notice that the Bighorn 52cal plug is listed separately?....I wonder what makes it different?

BTW checkout this ebay seller. He has a couple rare items including a Timney trigger and BARE 209 primer for 54cal and 50cal MK85. I think this is the first bare primer kit ive seen for sale. He might have a lead on 11/16 plugs?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=201 ... ck69&rt=nc

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Anyone notice that the Bighorn 52cal plug is listed separately?....I wonder what makes it different?

I wondered this very thing too. Would be nice if someone here had one

I have a 52 cal bighorn but the only other Knights I could compare to is the wife's littlehorn or my old slotted mk85. Last time I was cleaning guns it seemed that the littlehorn and bighorn had the same plug but I may have not paid that much attention to it.

Fmfdred56 said:
I have a 52 cal bighorn but the only other Knights I could compare to is the wife's littlehorn or my old slotted mk85. Last time I was cleaning guns it seemed that the littlehorn and bighorn had the same plug but I may have not paid that much attention to it.
11/16" and 5/8" are only 1/16" different in overall diameter. Could you measure the one from the 52 with a caliper for us? Real curious about why they have them listed separate.

Thanks,

Yes sir I'm in the hills scouting for deer season this weekend but I can take a look on Monday for yall

Latest posts

Back