Knight Disc Extreme BP Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently installed a Lehigh Defense BP breech plug on my Knight Disc Extreme.

Initially I used the tool that came with rifle to tighten plug. It worked ok but not great. After further research I purchased a 7/16 deep socket with 1/4 inch extension to remove and install plug. I am having difficulty removing plug, socket does not connect on to breech plug until I start to remove plug with Knight tool. I don't want to use the tool because it only barely fits over plug. Any suggestions?

I just looked at my plug wrench so I took a pic.

IMG_1688.JPG

My 7/16 came out of a socket set that was as cheap as cheap gets. You know, one of those little tool boxes with all the sockets you should ever need for cheap. Im thinking the socket you bought is a good socket and probably built a little heavier (thicker). Maybe try another socket from another set of tools???????

I use a snapon and an old craftsman, 1/4" drive, deep 7/16" socket and they fit fine all the way onto my lehigh plugs in both of my knights. But i can see where some thicker wall sockets may hang up in there.

View attachment 17334

My 7/16 came out of a socket set that was as cheap as cheap gets. You know, one of those little tool boxes with all the sockets you should ever need for cheap. Im thinking the socket you bought is a good socket and probably built a little heavier (thicker). Maybe try another socket from another set of tools???????
Thanks for information

View attachment 17334

I use either Snapon or one of my old Craftsman deep well thin sockets and 1/4" extension works great

I tried a Craftsman 7/16 deep socket to remove plug. It worked better once I used Knight tool to start plug out a turn.

Maybe my socket extension is causing the problem.

I use a 1/4" drive 6 point Craftsman deep well and it fits fine. If you are using a 12pt socket it might be thicker.

I use a 1/4" drive 6 point Craftsman deep well and it fits fine. If you are using a 12pt socket it might be thicker.

What he said. I have been using a 1/4" drive breaker bar and deep well 6 point with extension since 2008.

Without reading all the posts I don't know if this was mentioned but its likely the thickness of the socket. Get yourself a cheap 7/16" socket and grind it down on the outer diameter making it thinner. That's what I did and it works like a charm.
You only need go grind down the first 1/2" or so

I recently installed a Lehigh Defense BP breech plug on my Knight Disc Extreme.

Initially I used the tool that came with rifle to tighten plug. It worked ok but not great. After further research I purchased a 7/16 deep socket with 1/4 inch extension to remove and install plug. I am having difficulty removing plug, socket does not connect on to breech plug until I start to remove plug with Knight tool. I don't want to use the tool because it only barely fits over plug. Any suggestions?
It needs to be a thin walled socket. Some deep socket have thicker walls.

And if you look at the bottom of my socket - you can see I have ground the edge to a rounded edge to allow it to pass over the trigger assembly easier.

2-Nose-Wrap.jpg

Without reading all the posts I don't know if this was mentioned but its likely the thickness of the socket. Get yourself a cheap 7/16" socket and grind it down on the outer diameter making it thinner. That's what I did and it works like a charm.
You only need go grind down the first 1/2" or so
Thanks for the response.

What approach do you take to grind off a half inch consistently around the socket?

Thanks for the response.

What approach do you take to grind off a half inch consistently around the socket?
Just eyeballed it and used a grindstone. I guess it you wanted to get fancy you could grind it down the put the socket on and extension and into a drill and use a file to smooth it out.
All I did was put the socket on a 6" extension and ground a bit at a time and checked for fit and clearance. Now you can see if you can find a thinner walled socket which would probably work. I just used an old extra one I had lying around and I keep it in my shooting box.

Latest posts

Back