Knight DISC Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that the 52 struggles to take hold due to the 50's longer popularity. If people want to go for bigger game (elk, moose,etc) a 54 is more common imo

No one has made a 54cal inline in a very long time and the 52cal has a faster twist. Knight never offered a 54cal DISC rifle either. Only plunger gun models.

I find that the 52 struggles to take hold due to the 50's longer popularity. If people want to go for bigger game (elk, moose,etc) a 54 is more common imo

Only if you're using a PRB. You can get heavy conicals in .50 for big game.

No one has made a 54cal inline in a very long time and the 52cal has a faster twist. Knight never offered a 54cal DISC rifle either. Only plunger gun models.
Yep. I only have one 54 bolt gun left ( Rem700ml) . I have plenty of 54 plunger guns but the 54 inline in general is a relic of the past and the 54 bolt gun is even more obsolete. I bought mine to get a custom made out of it but never did so it is stock except for the Boyds laminate stock . It is a shame Knight didnt make the disc in a 54.

Yep. I only have one 54 bolt gun left ( Rem700ml) . I have plenty of 54 plunger guns but the 54 inline in general is a relic of the past and the 54 bolt gun is even more obsolete. I bought mine to get a custom made out of it but never did so it is stock except for the Boyds laminate stock . It is a shame Knight didnt make the disc in a 54.
Depending on the twist rate, i would consider buying one if they did

Always wondered how well a Rem700ML 54cal would workout with the Hunter bare 209 kit. My 54-120 kicks like a mule with heavy loads. Remington stopped offering the 50-385gr CLHP i thought would make a interesting bullet for a longer range 54cal so i never pursued it further.

You are correct about the .50 having such a foothold, my caliber of choice for deer hunting is the .45, flintlock or in line and for the longest time I thought there was a conspiracy by the sporting goods stores to push the .45 out because I couldn't find any ammo.
I'm a big fan of the 45 myself, it may be the second popular caliber for Deer hunting but even when there was a big push for it approximately 20 years ago ,all the gun magazines were writing articles about it, but after a couple years most manufacturers stopped making them. Sure there are followers like you and I so there are limited runs but the 50 is still King. Truth is there isn't any big game I want to hunt to that the 50 won't take care of , you can shoot anything from a 180gn round ball all the way up to 600gn+ conicals. But why we would settle on one caliber when there are others to experiment with ?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 45 myself, it may be the second popular caliber for Deer hunting but even when there was a big push for it approximately 20 years ago ,all the gun magazines were writing articles about it, but after a couple years most manufacturers stopped making them. Sure there are followers like you and I so there are limited runs but the 50 is still King. Truth is there isn't any big game I want to hunt to that the 50 won't take care of , you can shoot anything from a 180gn round ball all the way up to 600gn+ conicals. But why we would settle on one caliber when there are other to experiment with ?
Oh no, don't get me wrong, as well as .45 long rifles and inlines I own a .62/ 20ga Flintlock fowler as well as a 3/4 stock .50 flintlock rifle and hunt with them all the time, I also own several inline rifles in .45, .50 and .54 I'm just saying I, myself, really like the .45 for deer hunting, and a flintlock with a round ball at that. Seems to always get the job done, cleanly, with less meat spoiled from the shot and less powder burned. I build my own rifles ( flintlock longrifles) and enjoy taking game with them. There are some states that will not allow anything less then a .50 ( Elk in Colorado for one).

That doesn't work all the time. There seems to be a law if you buy from a store that has a store in you state you get charged tax. Even if you don't buy from one of their stores that's not in your state. An example is Cabela's.
Avoiding sales tax is getting harder to do, and I suspect will soon be impossible.

Last edited:
Always wondered how well a Rem700ML 54cal would workout with the Hunter bare 209 kit. My 54-120 kicks like a mule with heavy loads. Remington stopped offering the 50-385gr CLHP i thought would make a interesting bullet for a longer range 54cal so i never pursued it further.
I have hunted deer with a rRem 700ML in 54 cal. It does not have the Hunter kit but it has been converted to shoot BH209 by myself before the kits were available. Works great! The first deer this rifle killed was a smallish 8pt with the Rem 385 bullet in a purple sabot. I bought 500 from midway when they were clearing them out. I even recovered that slug after going through both shoulders. Took a doe the following day at 120 yds with the same bullet and joined the Club of the Crimson Crescent from an old 4x Weaver that I had on it. I crept up on the rifle in a kneeling position and Bam, I didn't even notice all the blood until it was pointed out to me by my buddy. I thought it was from the deer I was dressing out. 😁 Anyway I migrated to a 325 Barnes in that sabot that seems to shoot well and kill deer with a little less recoil. I was shooting 80 wgr of 209.

Going back to the 52 . I have 2 left . I had a 52 mountaineer i should have kept. I think the 52 has many advantages over a 54 . It was Tony Knights favorite caliber. The 1:26 twist is great. The big down fall of the 52 is the proprietary caliber creates a lack of readily available bullets . I am stocked up but still limited to 3 choices. And if i wanted to get more they cost way to much. Big advantage is you can shoot it cheaper with big lead and it does great. As far as the saboted bullets they shoot pretty flat and hit hard. For a long range hunting load it is a good choice if you prepare ahead of time with bullets to have on hand. Just my opinion on my 52's. I have a big horn and a DE left. Wish i had sold them and kept the mountaineer instead.

the sales tax thing. I wonder if the tax is charged and the merchant keeps it if they are not required to pay it to the feds.

the sales tax thing. I wonder if the tax is charged and the merchant keeps it if they are not required to pay it to the feds.
I would like to know this too, but if I were them, that’s a risk I wouldn’t be willing to take. Without naming names, there’s only one group of people in this country that can scam and steal from the government and get away with it.....:mad:

every thing I buy online I now get charged Wyoming state tax period...just sayin'...Trader AKA Mossie PS: I don't mind supporting my state!

Sales tax...

1: If you collect it and don't pay it to the state on who's behalf you collected it you'd be better off cheating the mob.

2: The states used to be of the opinion that if it did not happen solely in their state they could not tax it. Now they are banding together to harvest the maximum they can from their subjects by forcing out of state business to collect taxes on thier behalf. And the subjects are allowing it. The first to fall were giants that had multi state operations. Then folks that were big and just want to do interstate business figured it was cheaper to charge and send taxes to each state than to fight it (like eBay). Now they are moving to force us little guys to tax everyone and pay it to every state.

Sales tax...

1: If you collect it and don't pay it to the state on who's behalf you collected it you'd be better off cheating the mob.

2: The states used to be of the opinion that if it did not happen solely in their state they could not tax it. Now they are banding together to harvest the maximum they can from their subjects by forcing out of state business to collect taxes on thier behalf. And the subjects are allowing it. The first to fall were giants that had multi state operations. Then folks that were big and just want to do interstate business figured it was cheaper to charge and send taxes to each state than to fight it (like eBay). Now they are moving to force us little guys to tax everyone and pay it to every state.
That sounds like a huge pia for you guys. you should get a percentage of the tax to offset the extra work

That sounds like a huge pia for you guys. you should get a percentage of the tax to offset the extra work

Taxes of all types are a PIA. Every month I have to sit down and do payroll and then all the paperwork that goes along with it... quarterly add in unemployment, annually federal unemployment and all sorts of payroll and sales taxes. As a business grows they increase the frequency and the burdens. But the consumer will always end up paying for these sorts of things... you think if I have to invest my time or hire professionals to do things that I don't add that into my prices?

Why do you think China and India are out performing us... they have lower labor costs due to lower pay, but they also actually have simpler and better taxation systems. The US is one of the worst in the world.

Latest posts

Back