Knight Hawkeye stainless laminated stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamper

Reaction score
I am new to blackpowder but have acquired one of the above guns without an owners manual. Recommended loads, bullets primers or caps. I want to start shooting it but want to do so safely. Any info will help. Thanks Doug

Had trouble posting a picture. This is not my gun. I am not home right now but mine is the same minus the scope mounts. Mine has adjustable sights.

Without knowing what breech plug you have it's hard to say if you need a 209 primer or # 11 cap.
Triple seven or pyrodex is a popular propellant as is BH 209.
I'd say start with about 40 grains of powder. There are numerous bullet choices out there. Something like 250 to 300 grains to start with.

I will most likely pick up some of the 777 powder. I am also wondering if any of the pyrodex pellets would work. I get home in about a week and will pick up the necessary supplies at that time. Thanks for the advice received. Doug

I will most likely pick up some of the 777 powder. I am also wondering if any of the pyrodex pellets would work. I get home in about a week and will pick up the necessary supplies at that time. Thanks for the advice received. Doug

Anything should work fine in it, from real black to T7, pellets or powder.

While the pellets will work, I'd suggest the granular powder just due to barrel length. You may not be getting a complete burn on a pellet with a 12" barrel. You may get incomplete burns on 2ffg granular as well. I'd suggest loads on fffg granular in T7 and start at 45 grains with bullets in the 200 to 240 grain range working upward 5 grains at a time. In my Optima I shoot a 225 grain Barnes XPB in .44 cal and a green crush rib but 209 powder and a much heavier charge but the gun is geared for it. I think at 45 to 70 grains you should be able to hunt that XPB bullet on deer sized animals and still get a complete burn. XTPs may not open up as needed with charges on the lighter side.

60-70gr of Pyrodex P or Triple7 3FG. 70gr of Pyro P will give you about 1400fps with a 260gr bullet. Triple7 will give about 10% more.

Max load of real black in the old manual was 80gr of FFFG

Last edited:
Wish I could find a copy of the old manual or a copy of one. Knight told me they're unavailable and I can't find one on line anywhere. I'm rounding up the gear I need to shoot it now. Hopefully in a week or so I will have everything I need.

Sounds like 50 grains is suggested as a maximum charge of fffg pyro or black?

I put the manual in one .pdf file.

Attachments

• Knight Hawkeye Pistol Owners Manual.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back