Knight LK-93/Wolverine primer blow back

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
I have a Knight LK-93 50 cal that I bought around 1995. Came with a black stock, SS barrel and #11 nipple. I originally used Pyrodex powder with the #11 cap.

When Knight came out with a 209 conversion, I got it and started using Pyrodex pellets. I use Winchester W209 primers.

My only issue with this rifle is that there is a lot of primer blow back. It covers the bottom of the scope and the area under the back of the breech plug. I thought this was normal until I started reading posts on this forum. The gun is a good shooter and have shot several deer during our late muzzleloader season in VT.

I got a CVA Accura MR 3 years ago and is now now my primary muzzleloader. I got this gun so I would have two muzzleloaders in case one had an issue. I hunt over 2 hours from home at my camp and always take a second gun for whatever season I hunt. With an o-ring in the primer pocket, the Federal 209A primers are clean in the CVA. The break action is easy to clean and install/remove the primer.

Is there a solution to keep the LK-93 from getting so dirty shooting without going back to the #11 cap and loose powder? I really don’t plan on shooting this gun unless my CVA and/or scope has an issue. The primer pocket on the Knight is to big for the o-ring that I use on the CVA.

On a side note, I’ve seen the Woodman Patriots at our sportsman show at Hal Blood’s booth a few years ago and forgot about them until I saw a post here. Covid shut down the show the last few years. It’s back on this month and I’ll be looking at them. Might have to get one.

The only solution I am aware of on those older slam fire guns is to use a cover over the open breech area like some thing made from leather or vinyl. Alternately you can also use a scope protector or electrical tape wrapped around the scope. I use both and went back to #11 caps because it was "less" dirty than the 209s.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably just put electrical tape on the scope and under the back of of the breech plug.

I have a LK-93 and a Bighorn. I shoot the #11 and loose powder. I have very little blow back. Very Little.
If its a back up gun would it be difficult to go back to #11 and loose??????
If you stick with 209 and pellets it will only be a clean up chore when you use it. Not often by your description.
Patriot you say???? Could it be you need an excuse for a new MZ. Remember, no judgements here. If you need a new MZ just go get one. The word need is open to much interpretation.
😀

Last edited:
I don't need a new muzzleloader as I have the CVA as the primary. Our sportsman show is in 2 weeks and there should be some Patriots to check out.

I don't need any more guns in general but doesn't keep me from getting one every now and then!! :)

Getting rid of the Knight LK-93 this weekend. Will be left with my Patriot as a primary muzzleloader with a CVA Accura MR as a backup. Also have a cheapie flintlock for PA’s late season.

Back