Knight mk 85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp45cal

Reaction score
I came across one in 50 cal and was wondering about value never really payed attention to Knights.Lets say its not NIB but has very little use.

laminated stainless extra plug and nipple sorry more info would help

As far as I'm concerned that would be the top of line. Prices seem to be all over. I'm sure some will disagree, but to me about 300 would be it. The last 2 I bought were composite stainless, both in great shape. Paid 100 for the first and felt like I stole it. 250 for the second was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I didn't loose any sleep over it.

The MK-85 is my favorite out of all the Knights, while I like the Disc/bolt guns none of them feel as nice as a walnut stock MK..like the laminated ones as well they just feel a bit blockier and bulkier if that makes sense.
They will shoot as good as any of the bolt guns with right loads, just a little bit more to clean them up.
For a mint MK I would give up to 325.00 maybe 350.00 especially if I had no plans to get rid of it.

The MK-85 is my favorite out of all the Knights, while I like the Disc/bolt guns none of them feel as nice as a walnut stock MK..like the laminated ones as well they just feel a bit blockier and bulkier if that makes sense.
They will shoot as good as any of the bolt guns with right loads, just a little bit more to clean them up.
For a mint MK I would give up to 325.00 maybe 350.00 especially if I had no plans to get rid of it.
Dean, I know that you like the White ML's, so how does the MK-85 compare to the White ML?

As far as feel I like the walnut stocked MK the best, as far as accuracy I believe with the right load combos they are equal..you more then likely will get a bit better accuracy with big lead from the Whites due to barrel twist, but with a lighter conical they shoot just as well..
Knights were designed primarily to shoot sabots and they do it very well.
I like both equally with their preferred loads as far as accuracy, clean up is identical so thats a wash.
My .451 White with custom stock does feel as good as a walnut stocked White but the factory wood stocks on the Whites are a lot beefier(thicker) feeling, dont feel bad just not as comfortable as the wood stocked MK`s.

Knight might have been first but Doc White had his action way before and improved on the Knight action.
Copied from Doc's website:
I had conceptualized the bolt action that eventually became the W-series rifles as early as 1968. During the GRRW days, in the 70’s, I made the first such action, a fair copy of a Springfield bolt action, as a joke. Being a bunch of traditionalists at GRRW, we laughed and went about our business. The action sat on a shelf for near 15 years until Tony Knight brought out the MK-85 in the late 80’s. I immediately saw that my action was an improvement over his and determined to bring it to market. The action needed a bit of tuning, the then problem being the bolt handle, but I had it ready for market in mid 1990 without the bolt handle and featuring a pullcock similar to that on the Springfield 03. I personally hand made 60 of the rifles, designated the Super-90, wrote a 4 page brochure, mailed out 500 copies to selected Utah clients and sold every on of that first 60 by Christmas.

Knight might have been first but Doc White had his action way before and improved on the Knight action.
I had conceptualized the bolt action that eventually became the W-series rifles as early as 1968. During the GRRW days, in the 70’s, I made the first such action, a fair copy of a Springfield bolt action, as a joke. Being a bunch of traditionalists at GRRW, we laughed and went about our business. The action sat on a shelf for near 15 years until Tony Knight brought out the MK-85 in the late 80’s. I immediately saw that my action was an improvement over his and determined to bring it to market. The action needed a bit of tuning, the then problem being the bolt handle, but I had it ready for market in mid 1990 without the bolt handle and featuring a pullcock similar to that on the Springfield 03. I personally hand made 60 of the rifles, designated the Super-90, wrote a 4 page brochure, mailed out 500 copies to selected Utah clients and sold every on of that first 60 by Christmas.
That Super 90 . That’s a bit of White history for sure . There were 60. But there were 10 prototypes .i have # 4 prototype which is a .451 .

Last edited:
As far as feel I like the walnut stocked MK the best, as far as accuracy I believe with the right load combos they are equal..you more then likely will get a bit better accuracy with big lead from the Whites due to barrel twist, but with a lighter conical they shoot just as well..
Knights were designed primarily to shoot sabots and they do it very well.
I like both equally with their preferred loads as far as accuracy, clean up is identical so thats a wash.
My .451 White with custom stock does feel as good as a walnut stocked White but the factory wood stocks on the Whites are a lot beefier(thicker) feeling, dont feel bad just not as comfortable as the wood stocked MK`s.
Thanks Dean. Appreciate you for the information.

Thank you for the history on the White ML's!!!!!

Back