• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE Knight MK85 with composite thumbhole stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Here is my MK85 with a composite thumbhole stock in really nice condition. It has the original iron sights plus Weaver ring bases - no scope or rings included nor the peep sight. There is some minor pitting just in front of the breech area from using 209 primers with Triple 7. I have since sold the 209 kit and it’s back to the #11 cap ignition.

I had seen an article on bedding with pillar blocks to I had some turned down, drilled the stock, and epoxied them in place. While they were curing I had the barrel taped up slightly so that it is free floating now.

I drilled a hole from the rear trigger guard screw up thru the rear tang and rear plugger collar. I used a mark on the rear collar aligned with the sight hole so it would align correctly every time. Then I tapped the rear tang and collar at the same time.

I shortened a long screw so that it would go thru the tang and collar but stop just short of the plunger. It really works great.

The last thing I shot with it was a 5x5 elk in 96’ because I had to use iron sights in Colordo. I really love the thumbhole stock with the Fajen cheek pad but I’ll let it go for $275 TYD, and I’ll cover any Paypal fees and shipping.

fullsizeoutput_bae.jpeg
DSCN0905.JPGIMG_0329.JPGfullsizeoutput_45.jpegIMG_0327.JPG

I took an elk with it in Colorado where I had to use 370gr Maxi-balls.

I’ve taken several deer at distances with it - 90 and 140 yards.

When I switched from conicals to sabots I had a bit of a grouping issues. In talking with Knight, when they found out I was using “Bore Butter” with sabots, they said that was the reason for the poor groups.

So I cleaned the barrel out with hot boiling water and soap, and then swabbed the barrel with a patch and thin coat of gun oil. I may have scrubbed the bore with JB Bore Paste as well but I also have trouble remembering what I did yesterday. :(

I tried a hybrid load of Triple 7 and BH209 for a while like I did on my grandson’s LK-II, but it’s just sat in the gun cabinet for the last several years.

It wore a Redfield 3-9 Illuminator for a long time but sold that scope after I treated myself to a TC Bone Collector.

I wish every firearm I owned had the same thumbhole stock - it allows me to have my glasses flush with the ocular instead of having to look thru the frame's edges.

What's accuracy like? Any particular bullets and loads it likes?

Never did hear response on accuracy, targets/yardage details/ Ed

My bad, haven’t been on here lately.

I don’t have any saved targets as I haven’t used it since getting a TC Triumph years ago.

As stated, I did take a moving buck at 90 yards and a standing buck at 140 yards kneeling - I would have had a 3-9x40 Redfield Illuminator on it at the time. I probably used either the 250gr Hornady or 250gr Barnes bullets in sabots.

The MK85 shoots great, it all depends on the shooter.

ML season is getting close . . . .

The Fajen thumbhole stock is worth the price alone.

Back