Knight original DISC bare 209 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
knight 209 .pngThere seems to be a ton of old posts talking about needing an extreme bolt and Lehigh conversion. I would like to know if Knights own bare 209 kit (bolt body & plug) for the DISC Extreme fits the original. It seems to me that it should and perhaps I should contact Justin at Knight rifles. Just wondering if anyone out there knows and has experience with this conversion. Thanks.

Got a return e-mail today from Knight. I have to buy a conversion kit which is the bolt and primer only breach plug for $131. They stated to put in the order comments that it is for an ORIGINAL Knight Disc Rifle and that they would machine the bolt to work

While the bolt works fine, the plug is not as good as the Lehigh plug and costs more. A Lehigh plug is only $16.50 plus about $8 shipping. A Knight plug is $30 and about $15 shipping.

I tried the Knight bare primer conversion. I dont like it as much as the Lehigh adapter for the Extreme bolt. But i had a bunch of trouble with primer getting stuck in it. I was eventually able to find and remove a tiny burr in it, thx to some help from gm54-120 and others.
When ordering a bolt from Knight you need to specify that it's for an older Original DISC, if that's the case.
The Knight bolt is a bit harder to get the primer in to. It has to go into a tiny slot an can swell and stick in ther on hot loads. Requiring recocking and dry firing to knock the stuck primer loose. Ive never had a stuck primer with the lehigh adapter. The Lehigh is easy to drop primers in and out of.
I gave in and just bought the Extreme bolt for both of my Originals.

I prefer an Extreme bolt and the Lehigh NFPJ adapter also. Its just easier for me to get the primer in. You can make a tool from a cheap 6mm 12pt boxed end wrench IIRC. A 209 fits in the boxed end but its a tiny bit too big to go in the bare primer bolt. Just need to grind a little metal off the wrench to fit.

View attachment 14383There seems to be a ton of old posts talking about needing an extreme bolt and Lehigh conversion. I would like to know if Knights own bare 209 kit (bolt body & plug) for the DISC Extreme fits the original. It seems to me that it should and perhaps I should contact Justin at Knight rifles. Just wondering if anyone out there knows and has experience with this conversion. Thanks.
I'm also from Michigan and am upgrading a Knight Disc Extreme for my brother. I bought the DISC Extreme Conversion Kit a few days ago and noticed this thread. The kit I purchased has a Knight Manufacturing Number (SKU) #M900608. Is this the same kit which should have the Plug replaced with a Lehigh?
My brother's new to hunting and I don't want him discouraged with jammed parts/primers..

Is this the same kit which should have the Plug replaced with a Lehigh?
Yes. The Lehigh plug is made from better SS and you can replace the vent liner when the flash hole wears out. When it wears out in the Knight you have to replace the entire plug or go through the ordeal of trying to drill out the braised in vent liner. When a Lehigh plug is only about $25 shipped why even bother?

Stuck primers are mostly from sloppy fit but can also be caused from a bur in the bolt face. Use the longest primers you can get. Normally that would be Win209s or Fed209As. If they dont get a slight crush when closing the action you can shim the primer pocket. Its pretty simple to shim it if needed.

I have bought and used no less than 6 Lehigh breech plugs and been 100% satisfied with them. The machining has been excellent and shipping was always fast. The only thing better is a Bestill plug and those are about $80 if you can take a few measurements correctly. They are custom fit to your rifle and also made from 17-4 SS but they use a tungsten bushing instead of a vent liner.

Lehigh vent liners for most shooters should last over 200 shots. Ive got some ive used in upper end 45cal loads that make more pressure than a 50cal. Tungsten bushings will likely last over 1000 shots. Probably more in a 50cal. They are about $31 to replace when it finally wears out.

Besides longevity, the removable vents are easier to clean the plug. Remove the vent liner and run a 5/32 bit all the way through. Take a Pro Shot SS gas port brush and give it a quick scrub to get any thing it missed. Replace the vent liner with a tiny dab of anti-seize. DONE.
https://www.proshotproducts.com/Port-Brushes_p_591.html
kCtR8v3.jpg

Last edited:
No problem. Ive been one of the lucky ones and not one Knight i changed over to Lehigh plugs needed anything with a primer that was .300-.301+ long. Ive converted a Super DISC, DISC Extreme, DISC Elite, 52cal LRH, GMB 54-120 and a Mountaineer 45. Every one would get enough primer crush that they are virtually blowby free with a Win209. You want a primer to get a .003-.005 crush ONLY CLOSING THE ACTION on it. NOT FIRING IT.

Primers like that will more or less fall out just tilting the action to the side. A bare primer bolt may take a little more effort but they wont be hard stuck. Modify a 6mm 12 point box end wrench if needed. You could probably make a tool from a tooth brush handle also just by drilling a 1/4" or slightly smaller hole in it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have the bare primer bolt for my extreme and was asking becuase I have the chance of an original DISC for cheap. What I am understanding is that it wont fit without being machined which is why you have to specify when ordering. Funny thing is that I am most likely ordering the Lehigh adaptor and plug because I like the optics of the DISC extreme bolt. Stupid really but the polishing and maching just give it a more high end feel than the replacement bolt.

My Lehigh BP has arrived and my Knight Bolt should arrive today. Sad thing is I can't find any 209 primers or BH209 powder. Everybody is sold out! What the hell. Is it "if we can't take their guns, we'll take their ability to load them?"

Ok!! Well, my new bolt and BP extreme conversion kit from Knight arrived today and the bolt wont slide into the receiver. I bet they didn't do the machining required, even though I noted that this was for an original disc rifle that uses the ORANGE DISCS.
I have sent an e-mail asking how we can resolve this. The back of the receipt is the return slip. However, I want them to get what I need going and send it to me as soon as they receive my return. I can see this is going to be a hassle.

Attachments

• WIN_20210504_14_07_47_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210504_14_07_47_Pro.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • WIN_20210504_14_08_04_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210504_14_08_04_Pro.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 21
View attachment 14383There seems to be a ton of old posts talking about needing an extreme bolt and Lehigh conversion. I would like to know if Knights own bare 209 kit (bolt body & plug) for the DISC Extreme fits the original. It seems to me that it should and perhaps I should contact Justin at Knight rifles. Just wondering if anyone out there knows and has experience with this conversion. Thanks.
You can observe my experience.

***UPDATE*** Not as bad as I thought. Connie at Knight rifles called me and stated that the mistake was on her end and that the machining was not completed on the bolt sent to me. They are going to have the gunsmith prepare a new bolt for me and ship out the new bolt to me tomorrow with a return receipt for shipping.
Good customer service in my opinion.

Knight are amazing for service. I wanted to order parts (209 bare primer bolt & plug) for my .45 DISC Extreme and I am north of the Border. I contacted Justin the production manager, he called me back and made it happen. I couldn't have asked for better.

Got my bolt today and it fits like a glove. Now if I can only find some powder. Will the pellets still work? I may be able to find some of those. I was wanting to try BH with the 209 primers. Any suggestions for bullets and loads? I am super excited to get this baby sighted in and use it this year. I have never fired my ML at anything but a target.

Thanks

Good morning. Ok I purchased/received the Knight Bare Primer Kit (Knight Manufacturing Number (SKU) #M900608) as well as the 3 parts from Lehigh: Vent Liners, Bare Primer Adapter, and Breech Plug. The Lehigh Bare Primer Adapter won't fit into the bolt (opening too narrow) that came with the Knight Bare Primer Kit. It does fit into the bolt body that originally came with the Knight Disc Extreme. If I'm to use the original bolt, then did I just waste ~$140 for the knight kit? In other words, could I have just purchased the 3 parts from Lehigh and use original Knight Disc Bolt that came on the rifle for RPJ?

#M900608 is a complete bare primer kit. The 209 goes right into the bolt. No adapter is needed. The Lehigh adapter that goes in a bolt is for converting a FPJ bolt such as the DISC Extreme.

Keep the Lehigh plug. Try both styles of bare primer. See which you prefer. Sell the other one.

Back