Knight original DISC...Using the orange discs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Knight Original DISC and it was still set up to use the orange discs...so I bought a bunch and some were given to me. I don't mine the extra step of putting the primer into the disc...muzzle loading is all about the steps...here in Colorado we can't use powder pellets or sabots so I use loose powder and I know I don't need the 209 primer ooompf but it doesn't seem to hurt.

A guy at the shooting club told me I "Needed" to change out the primer system and use a bare 209 or go to a #11 cap...I told him I was good with it just the way it was, and I wasn't worried about orange disc supplies as I had 600+ discs on hand.

So on the drive home I wondered if he was right...that I would somehow get better preformance or more pleasure out of the rifle with a different primer system.

This is not the first time I have been told to change out the orange disc system...am I missing something?

My DISC rifle was originally set up for the orange discs, but when they came out with the red discs, I converted it to them (don’t really remember why but I did). I recently switched to a bare primer Lehigh breach plug to be able to use Blackhorn.

I’m sure some will disagree, but if you’re going to use Pyrodex or T7, I don’t see any reason you “have to“ change from the orange discs.

I also have an Original DISC that uses the orange adapters. If you're happy with what you have,.I see no reason to change, unless like retrieverman said, you want to shoot BH209. I am looking into changing mine because I'd like to use 209 but am having issues getting a modified bolt to fit (low serial number issue?). If I can't change it for a bare primer, there seems to be a breech plug on Knight's website that will fit and allow the use of percussion or musket caps so then I'll just use 777 or Pyrodex and have no or very little crud ring.

If you don’t mind the mess in the action and haveing to take the bolt apart every time you shoot it to clean it then I would use what you have.

but if you want a clean action with no mess then convert it and you can shoot BH209.

The newer Extreme bolt is also tool less. Its slightly easier to take apart than a DISC Original bolt assembly. Using the old bolt assembly or the Western bolt its pretty important you take the bolt apart and clean it well each time you are done shooting. The bare primer conversions can be nearly blowby free and very little fouling if any will get inside the bolt body.

You can do this with either the Knight Extreme conversion kit and about $40 in parts from Lehigh or a bare primer bolt body and just the Lehigh breech plug. The Knight Extreme conversion is an entire new bolt but its over $200 now. The bare primer bolt body would use your existing bolt internals.

Yep it will shoot but its not even remotely as good as bare primer. Not even close. A huge amount of back pressure is lost through the "crossfire" orange FPJ plug. It will flame cut the heck out of that orifice on the plug in no time.

Yep it will shoot but its not even remotely as good as bare primer. Not even close. A huge amount of back pressure is lost through the "crossfire" orange FPJ plug. It will flame cut the heck out of that orifice on the plug in no time.
Agreed

Back