Knight Peregrine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3000fps, under 7.5lbs and a 209 primer.....This i got to see on video with load data. Its possible a 209 can handle that kinda performance. Guys shot MLII Pacnor conversion loads creating some serious pressures for years. Im sure ive shot 45kpsi (ish) loads in my SavPac 45. Never blew a primer.

Thats gunna take a LOT of BH209 and if the Peregrine action and shank OD is similar to other Knights its only about 1" at the largest point. You will want 4-5" of shank at least that large to accomodate the long powder column and pressure. Granted it is a 40cal so you gain a bit more metal but still.

3000fps, under 7.5lbs and a 209 primer.....This i got to see on video with load data. Its possible a 209 can handle that kinda performance. Guys shot MLII Pacnor conversion loads creating some serious pressures for years. Im sure ive shot 45kpsi (ish) loads in my SavPac 45. Never blew a primer.

Thats gunna take a LOT of BH209 and if the Peregrine action and shank OD is similar to other Knights its only about 1" at the largest point. You will want 4-5" of shank at least that large to accomodate the long powder column and pressure. Granted it is a 40cal so you gain a bit more metal but still.
Not to mention a .40 caliber means smaller diameter powder column..I can’t imagine how tall an 84 grain by weight charge would be..let alone more than that

Some states have a 45cal minimum for deer. Mine is 40cal minimum no matter what season you use it in.

Not to mention a .40 caliber means smaller diameter powder column..I can’t imagine how tall an 84 grain by weight charge would be..let alone more than that

IIRC a 150gr by volume load in a 40cal is over 4" long and that aint gunna get you 3000fps. In a Paramount that is good for about 2700fps with a 225gr bullet according to TB.

IIRC a 150gr by volume load in a 40cal is over 4" long and that aint gunna get you 3000fps. In a Paramount that is good for about 2700fps with a 225gr bullet according to TB.

Wow,, so with a 28” barrel your under 24” of usable barrel with that load

Maybe, there is another option but from what i recall being mentioned by the owner at Swinglock......A powder chamber with BH209 was something he advised against using. Its possible maybe you could shorten the powder column a little with a 45cal powder chamber.

But look at the Paramount 40 with a 26". Its getting 2700fps with a shorter usable barrel length. ATM we dont know what bullet Knight was using but its not likely its a 225gr PB ELR. Looking at the sizing pic that bullet looks familar. There is just 1 problem, if its the Lehigh Spear its a monolithic bullet with a aluminum insert. Thats gunna be a bear to size. If its a Fury or Pittman its at least a 225gr. Neither one offers a 200gr with metal tip. So who's bullet is that?

Before everybody get all moist over this rifle, remember, it's still a 209 ignition. The issues with using 209 primers have not gone away. With that being said, I would still buy this rifle over any other production rifle. You might just want to make sure you stash away three or four hundred for the module ignition WHEN it comes out. (Gee, I wonder who will make that?)

Can’t use 40 cal, 45 minimum. but I use 40 cal bullets in my 45 with no problem
Ours is just 40cal. As in the bore has to be 40cal. So legally i could use a 45x357 sabot. These new super 40s would really be interesting if a GOOD 40x35 sabot existed. I cant see MMP doing it but Harvester has shown interest in a improved 45x40 sabot so just maybe if 40s take off.......................

One of my concerns with the 40s is pressure. Sure a 225gr and whatever load of BH209 is fine but what happens when a guy grabs a pack of 300gr Fury, Pittmans, Parkers ect?......Peak pressures soar. This is not much of an issue with 45s and 50s. Peak is still reasonable. 40s are much more load sensitive/specific. They build pressure much faster. Rifles like this will need "approved load data" or people will be shooting nearly SML type pressures fast just by going up 75gr in bullet weight.

Last edited:
:) Everybody did the same thing when CVA announced the Paramount. Let's see who's first to order one or, someone witnesses someone shooting it.

Speculation running a little high? ;0

I’m wondering if the marketing guys got a little ahead of the engineers on the velocity claim. I’m intrigued by the 40 caliber but I’m waiting to see if it really takes off. I got sucked in by Knight’s .52 caliber years ago and I’m not doing that again.

Ours is just 40cal. As in the bore has to be 40cal. So legally i could use a 45x357 sabot. These new super 40s would really be interesting if a GOOD 40x35 sabot existed. I cant see MMP doing it but Harvester has shown interest in a improved 45x40 sabot so just maybe if 40s take off.......................

One of my concerns with the 40s is pressure. Sure a 225gr and whatever load of BH209 is fine but what happens when a guy grabs a pack of 300gr Fury, Pittmans, Parkers ect?......Peak pressures soar. This is not much of an issue with 45s and 50s. Peak is still reasonable. 40s are much more load sensitive/specific. They build pressure much faster. Rifles like this will need "approved load data" or people will be shooting nearly SML type pressures fast just by going up 75gr in bullet weight.
Do you think 1 in 16 is a little too fast for a sabot, I know I can’t push it fast in 1 in 20, over 90 grains my accuracy falls fast

I’m wondering if the marketing guys got a little ahead of the engineers on the velocity claim. I’m intrigued by the 40 caliber but I’m waiting to see if it really takes off. I got sucked in by Knight’s .52 caliber years ago and I’m not doing that again.

That last sentence scared me. I just bought a Knight Disc .52 caliber. Can you tell me why you regret it please? I’m about to start a discussion asking for good loads for the .52 caliber with a 26” barrel.

So what other information has anyone found out on the Knight Peregrine? I saw the nice looking picture and hint on Facebook. It looked impressive and looks similar to the “Revenant Rifles” (go to Knights website and you will find the link in the top right section “Revenant Rifles” and you’ll see what I mean. Similar stock, bolt appearance, and tapered barrel). So... how much are they going to ask for it you reckon? Will it be able to use CVA Paramount sabots or Knight Rifles’ exclusive sabots? I reached out to them in email and got no response.
The Peregrine LOOKS excellent. I’m curious about the performance like GM54-120 is.

That last sentence scared me. I just bought a Knight Disc .52 caliber. Can you tell me why you regret it please? I’m about to start a discussion asking for good loads for the .52 caliber with a 26” barrel.
I love the 52,my favorite load is 110 grains 777 ff and hornady 325 FTx. I have had great success with it. I recently had bestill cut and crown a barrel to 22 inches , haven’t shot it yet, will soon, tuna fishing got in the way

I wouldn’t worry about it now, but when the .52 was introduced there were only one or two bullet/sabot combos available and if those didn’t work for you there were no other options. I spent a couple frustrating years trying to get my rifle to shoot and finally gave up. It soured me on inlines for almost 15 years. I tracked down the guy who made the sabots for Knight, but he had an exclusive contract to supply them to their specs and he couldn’t offer aftermarket options. I’m not interested in repeating that experience with the .40, although I think there are already a whole bunch of options for the .40 caliber.

Back