Knight Super DISC 45 Trigger Problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Knight Super Disc 45 trigger will not break. It acts like the safety is still engaged. I have removed the trigger and cleaned it. Trigger worked after that but a day later the problem has returned. I fouled the barrel before I started and on the second primer the trigger would not move. I released the trigger and the primer then went off. I thought maybe the safety had hung up so I worked it back and forth a few times and after that it worked fine for about 6 shots and then the trigger would not move again. Took trigger apart, cleaned it and reinstalled worked fine after that. Checked it just a few minutes ago and it will not budge.

I have an email into Justin but I have not heard back from him yet. I also noticed the bolt kinda hangs up a little when I open the bolt. Closes fine but sometimes when I open the bolt it feels like it's catching on something. Not sure if the two are related. I have checked the bolt alighnement and nothing in the trigger looks broken or damaged. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the same thing. I was just hoping for something else to look at in the meantime. I'm sure that trigger will not be cheap!

I'm thinking the same thing. I was just hoping for something else to look at in the meantime. I'm sure that trigger will not be cheap!

The good thing, you can easily find a trigger if you hunt around. You can find them fairly cheap if you not in a hurry. Also, you can probably find a rifle with a bad barrel and get it cheap and salvage all the parts from it. If I had one with a bad trigger, I definitely wouldn't be buying a new trigger I'd find a parts gun or cheap used trigger. Interestingly, I've rarely heard of one having an issue.

Michiganmuzzy, curious what are you seeing them going for?
I found one, asking price for a poor bore $350

Knight Super Disc 45 trigger will not break. It acts like the safety is still engaged. I have removed the trigger and cleaned it. Trigger worked after that but a day later the problem has returned. I fouled the barrel before I started and on the second primer the trigger would not move. I released the trigger and the primer then went off. I thought maybe the safety had hung up so I worked it back and forth a few times and after that it worked fine for about 6 shots and then the trigger would not move again. Took trigger apart, cleaned it and reinstalled worked fine after that. Checked it just a few minutes ago and it will not budge.

I have an email into Justin but I have not heard back from him yet. I also noticed the bolt kinda hangs up a little when I open the bolt. Closes fine but sometimes when I open the bolt it feels like it's catching on something. Not sure if the two are related. I have checked the bolt alighnement and nothing in the trigger looks broken or damaged. Any suggestions?

I of course not sure which of the two triggers that you have installed in your rifle. But is sounds like the 'over travel' adjustment might be your problem.

This picture shows a Knight 3 screw trigger. And the 3 adjustments. Does this look like your trigger?

(corrected picture - 11/18/21)

Knight-3-Scew-Trigger.jpg

Without the trigger in hand I can not truly be sure of your problem but I do not think you have a need for replacement as much as a trigger service.

Last edited:
What pictured above and what’s in the “stickey” the adjustments are opposite as to the weight and over travel. Which is correct? Maybe that the one stickey needs edited?

Last edited:
What pictured above and what’s in the “stickey” the adjustments are opposite as to the weight and over travel. Which is correct? Maybe that the one stickey needs edited?

Shoot! you are correct... I will change the pic. shortly.

I of course not sure which of the two triggers that you have installed in your rifle. But is sounds like the 'over travel' adjustment might be your problem.

This picture shows a Knight 3 screw trigger. And the 3 adjustments. Does this look like your trigger?

Knight-3-Scew-Trigger.jpg

Without the trigger in hand I can not truly be sure of your problem but I do not think you have a need for replacement as much as a trigger service.

What I was thinking.

My trigger has one screw in the rear and one in the front. I think you guys are correct about the trigger being out of adjustment. Hopefully someone will jump in with the procedure to adjust a two screw trigger.

My trigger has one screw in the rear and one in the front. I think you guys are correct about the trigger being out of adjustment. Hopefully someone will jump in with the procedure to adjust a two screw trigger.

Here is a pic.

Knight-Trigger-Adjustment.jpg

Try adjusting but unfortumately you may still have an "over travel" problem would not know for sure unless I had the trigger in hand.

Thanks sabotloader. That is my trigger above. I followed the instructions and it is working perfect now. Can you explain in more detail what you are calling "over travel" and how do I know if that might still be a problem. I'm assuming your'e referring to excessive rear movement of the trigger after the trigger breaks?

Last edited:
A couple of points, when you clean your trigger, which you will have to do on occasion unless your breech remains clean, always make sure you lubricate the trigger assembly with a quality oil. I prefer to use a synthetic oil.

This is a very basic picture of the guts of a trigger.

Rem700-Trigger-Schematic.jpg

Over Travel - what is it?

Trigger Over-Travel
Technically: Over-Travel is any amount of “positive” trigger movement following the Break.

What You Feel:
Continued “positive” movement of the trigger after the Break, without much (if any) resistance, until something mechanically stops the trigger’s positive movement.

If the frame is what stops the Over-Travel, you’ll often see a small mark on the frame where the rear of the trigger hits the frame at the end of Over-Travel. This is common on some SIG P-Series pistols.

Any mechanical device that stops Over-Travel is called a “trigger stop.” Some are adjustable to allow the shooter to control the amount of Over-Travel, and some are fixed. Trigger stops can be mounted on the rear of the trigger itself:

So now if you look at the pic - you can see how the trigger block is controlled by the over travel screw. The screw allows or limits the amount of travel the trigger can do. If the over travel screw is turned in to far the trigger will not be able to move so it will not let the Sear drop which then would allow the the hammer to fall and strike your ignition system.

With your two screw trigger you really do not have this adjustment. The two screws - Trigger Pull and Creep are what controls your limits.

Hope this makes some sense.

This last picture show the sear sitting on the trigger block. by pulling the trigger it moves forward allowing the Sear to fall and the hammer moves forward.

Sear - Resting on Trigger.JPG

Hope I have not messed all this up

mike

Good job Mike! Trigger seems to be working great now. I will conduct a safety test here shortly. Suggestions for that? I have read 3ft drop test butt first on the floor with the bolt cocked and safety off? I don't like it but if that's what I have to do...

John

Good job Mike! Trigger seems to be working great now. I will conduct a safety test here shortly. Suggestions for that? I have read 3ft drop test butt first on the floor with the bolt cocked and safety off? I don't like it but if that's what I have to do...

John

No you really do not have to drop it from three feet. I just drop it it from 3-6" but I do push it down with my hands to make it will be a sharp contact.

3-6" sounds way better and I am happy to report it passed the safety test! I set the trigger at 3.5 pounds and I'm now good to go. I'll run about a dozen rounds down the barrel tomorrow just to be sure the problem is fixed.

Knight got back to me with a $180 price for a new trigger. Never heard back from Justin but I know he is busy this time of year. He's a good man that helped me earlier in the year with a new stock I ordered that I was having problems fitting onto my gun. That guy went above and beyond for me!

Thanks again Mike and everyone else who jumped in to help.

Latest posts

Back