Knight Super Disc .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I use the Lehigh primer adapter with the Bestill breech plug if and when I upgrade? You mentioned patches so does that mean a patch is mandatory or can I go patchless?

You can use the Lehigh adapter with the Bestill plug. Using BH209, swabbing with a patch isnt really a big deal. You dont have to most of the time. I like to run a quick patch before heading home and its annoying when it gets caught.

You can use the Lehigh adapter with the Bestill plug. Using BH209, swabbing with a patch isnt really a big deal. You dont have to most of the time. I like to run a quick patch before heading home and its annoying when it gets caught.
I'm an idiot. I thought you were referring to a veggie or wool wad. Clearly you were not if I had just stopped and thought about it for a minute. Thanks for clarifying GM and thanks again guys for all your help.

You have received awesome advice.
Lehigh adapter for sure.
Please absolutely don't use smokeless in this knight rifle.
Thank you for weighing in. I had no plans to use smokeless in this rifle without confirmation that I could have it converted to smokeless. Thanks for answering that for me. I am curious about the cost of your breech plug. I saw your video on the knight conversion but now I can't find it again. I've searched youtube but for some reason nothing comes up.

Get your Lehigh kit first OR see if Bestill is still fitting his plug. To do it yourself you need a bare primer plug to start off so you can take some measurements. DIY was around $80 if i recall. I had one done with measurements i took and gave to Bestill. His plug fit EXACTLY the way i wanted when he sent it to me. Primers had excellent crush and no leaks.

The plug setup i would recommend in your 45 cal would be the 2 pc design.

Barrel and bolt assy only would need to be sent to me for fit and installation.

$225

Would include all needed parts.
2pc plug with tungsten bushing, 209 bare primer adapter and quick release bolt retaining screw and insured return shipping.

Best contact and I can send video to your email
[email protected]

Bullets will be going down the barrel without pants on so I will be resizing for proper fit. BH209 and I'm leaning towards the Parker BE hopefully the 275gr. Thoughts on something better or also worth trying? I know the Parker BE is listed at .451 but I have no idea what a Knight bore measures.

Knight and all other mass produced ML will have bore tolerances that vary.
.451 1:20 twist date back to the 1850’s.
Don’t be afraid of long lead conicals, they’ll shoot..

Bullets will be going down the barrel without pants on so I will be resizing for proper fit. BH209 and I'm leaning towards the Parker BE hopefully the 275gr. Thoughts on something better or also worth trying? I know the Parker BE is listed at .451 but I have no idea what a Knight bore measures.

This is what I am using my Super DISC's. Deadly bullets

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

458-260-3x-PBR.jpg

This is what I am using my Super DISC's. Deadly bullets

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

458-260-3x-PBR.jpg
Very impressive. Do you have to resize those? I think I read somewhere the .458 dimension on those Lehighs is only at the rings and the bullet itself is .451? Because of that, assuming I'm correct, the bullet once pushed past the rings slides in with no problem. Is that correct?

Very impressive. Do you have to resize those? I think I read somewhere the .458 dimension on those Lehighs is only at the rings and the bullet itself is .451? Because of that, assuming I'm correct, the bullet once pushed past the rings slides in with no problem. Is that correct?

I have two Super DISC's for one of them I do re-size the barbs from .458 to .454, and in reality I probably do have to since I built a couple of "bump sticks". The second and older of the two has a slightly larger bore and re-sizing is not needed. One end is used to get the bullet started through the crown and then the stick is turned over and the flat end is used to complete the push through the crown. Once the bullet passes through the crown of the bore they go down easily.

For me the home made 'bump stick works better than the short starter.

SS-BS.jpg

Bump-Stick.jpg

The barbs are sized at .458+/-

45x260-Barbs.jpg

The base of the bullet measures

45x260-Cupped-Base.jpg

45x260-bullet.jpg

Re-sizing is a simple task with an inexpensive Lee Press and re-sizing die.

Bench-Resize.jpg

I really appreciate the time you have put in to respond to my question. I am absolutely fascinated by all of this and super impressed with the knowledge of all you guys on this site. I will be trying these Lehigh's.

I almost forgot, what primers are you using and do you use a wad? Thank you for your help my friend!

I really appreciate the time you have put in to respond to my question. I am absolutely fascinated by all of this and super impressed with the knowledge of all you guys on this site. I will be trying these Lehigh's.

I almost forgot, what primers are you using and do you use a wad? Thank you for your help my friend!

If you get a Lehigh Bare Primer Breech Plug, then you will probably want to use Winchester W209 primers. And the BP is built for the ignition of BH powder. You do not need a wad as the bullet has a built in powder cup. The walls of the cup will expand to the size of your bore.

You can see the cup in this picture

45x260-Lehigh-Sabotless.jpg

Lehigh bare primer adapter and BP ordered today. I will see if this rifle is a shooter before I upgrade to Bestill's two piece BP. If it is then I'm all in for nitride and a new stock. I hope this Disc .45 is everything you all say it is!

Lehigh bare primer adapter and BP ordered today. I will see if this rifle is a shooter before I upgrade to Bestill's two piece BP. If it is then I'm all in for nitride and a new stock. I hope this Disc .45 is everything you all say it is!
Unless there is something wrong with the barrel, it will be everything good that you've heard. đź‘Ť

Back