Knight UL or CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To go Western you will need to purchase a Bundle form Knight that includes a Bolt handle and body, a western breech plug and percussion nipples.

How is the western bolt body different other than the size of the cut out? Wont it fire a percussion cap if you had the plug and nipple?

Get the ultra lite and contact both Parker Trutec and bestill creations for a Salt Bath Nitride. If you put a nice Leupold on there you’ll have a top notch firearm for under $2k that will last you a lifetime

How is the western bolt body different other than the size of the cut out? Wont it fire a percussion cap if you had the plug and nipple?

The FPJ lip around the nose of the bolt runs into the the hex head on the breech plug and will not allow the bolt to fully close. If it weren't for that small problem the FPJ bolt would/will ignite percussion caps.

I verified that last night using a DISC Extreme. For the longest time I really felt that the FPJ bolt would close on a Knight breech plug. Your post got me off center and I tried it last night.

The Extreme is much heavier and the UL stock is MUCH nicer. The one thing on my mind is the UL 50cal is gunna be rough getting it to shoot at 300yards and conform to Oregon regs. You will be limited to a 1" long projectile. You can only push a conical so fast before accuracy goes to hell and leading the barrel starts. I really cant see you getting past 200yards effectively and ethically under those conditions. A light weight rifle, 24" barrel, iron sights and 450gr+ slugs is gunna be rough to say the least.

A 450ish grain conical is gunna be just about all you can fit into a 1" long 50cal bullet. The BC will hover around .205 or so. Run the numbers at 1300-1400fps. You might want to verify if the length reg is still enforced. It used to be no longer than twice the caliber.

Last edited:
The Extreme is much heavier and the UL stock is MUCH nicer. The one thing on my mind is the UL 50cal is gunna be rough getting it to shoot at 300yards and conform to Oregon regs. You will be limited to a 1" long projectile. You can only push a conical so fast before accuracy goes to hell and leading the barrel starts. I really cant see you getting past 200yards effectively and ethically under those conditions. A light weight rifle, 24" barrel, iron sights and 450gr+ slugs is gunna be rough to say the least.

A 450ish grain conical is gunna be just about all you can fit into a 1" long 50cal bullet. The BC will hover around .205 or so. Run the numbers at 1300-1400fps. You might want to verify if the length reg is still enforced. It used to be no longer than twice the caliber.

I wouldn’t do iron sights past 200. It’s tough enough at 100

“Hunt with or have in possession while hunting, sabots or bullets with plastic or synthetic parts. Cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.”

Oregon doesn’t mention bullet length but I believe ID does. I know a lot of people here use Thor bullets. I plan on hunting deer 95% of the time, I guess if it came down to it I would rather do 45cal and build a great deer gun than a 50cal that won’t shoot well.

Will I really gain that much from a longer barrel? The mountaineer is 3” longer but heavier? This year I shot a 240gr hornady penn conical with 90gr of 777 and could hold 3” at 100 yards. It didn’t shoot as well as I liked but at 100 yards it blew through a mature mule deer and put him right back down in his bed.

Knight offers a MOA guarantee to 200 yards. I watched a u tube video of a guy shooting black powder and lead conical at 600 yards with a mountaineer and putting 3 shots on a 8” plate. I guess it just seems like 300 with open sites would be doable with practice. I’m always one who tries to get as close as possible to an animal before taking a shot and 99% of my hunting is with a bow so even 100 yards seems like a long way. He was shooting 45cal, are they really that much more accurate?

What I would like is to be able to have a great all around muzzle loader that I feel confident with when I pull up for a shot. Traditions offers the LDR with a 30” barrel, would that be more accurate than the 24” knight? I do like the idea of a 50cal that if I want to hunt elk or have my boys hunt elk with in Idaho that I can use it.

I am really becoming a 45 fan, the ultra lite 45 is an incredible gun, i have only shot the ceb 240 maximus so far . devastating on deer , but you can’t push it hard , i found 90 grains to be the sweet spot.accuracy starts to fall off past that.i don’t remember the longest shot I took last year,I believe 80 yards, but oh boy the damage that slug does.look into some of my posts last year,I believe I posted some pictures.as far as long range, if you look into it I believe you will find all the long range competition has been won with the 45.i am also a big fan of the 52,can’t recall the last deer i shot with a 50

I am really becoming a 45 fan, the ultra lite 45 is an incredible gun, i have only shot the ceb 240 maximus so far . devastating on deer , but you can’t push it hard , i found 90 grains to be the sweet spot.accuracy starts to fall off past that.i don’t remember the longest shot I took last year,I believe 80 yards, but oh boy the damage that slug does.look into some of my posts last year,I believe I posted some pictures.as far as long range, if you look into it I believe you will find all the long range competition has been won with the 45.i am also a big fan of the 52,can’t recall the last deer i shot with a 50
Make sure you get the 1:20 fast twitch. Everyone else here paying double for the paramount. That has a 1:22 twist and weighs 10 lbs. it’s a no brainer. Knight’s just a better gun

I think the ultra lite only comes in fast twist in the 45, beast of a gun
Perfect. Assuming a .45 is allowed in OR (which imo .45 being too small anywhere is one of the stupidest rules ever made!!!)
Using a full bore projectile one could have a 300yd gun easily, assuming the shooter could do the job.

Why would anyone get a 1-30 .45........
My .45 Elite is 1:30, and is an excellent rifle and shoots VERY well. Its just not really a long range rifle, 200 max is what I would use it for.
If I was buying a new .45 today, it would certainly be a 1:20 UL, but my Elite is outstanding for what it is, and the avg hunter would love to have what it provides, I believe.

Why would anyone get a 1-30 .45........

Might wanna check on what Mr Miller used a couple years at Friendship for a better answer. He did quite well with a Mountaineer 1-30. And like i said.....never seen a Ulite 45 1-30. The first 45 UL i seen offered was a 1-20

Oregon requires a .50 for elk and .40 for deer, I would prefer to get a .50 so I can hunt both with the same gun if I decide to. I am considering going with a .45 for deer and getting a .50 for elk, most shots on elk will be 100 or less since we hunt them in heavy timber. I can see shots at deer being further for sure.

Knight offers a 45 1-20 Mountaineer barrel by itself. It will drop in a UL stock. You can even custom order a Mountaineer with a UL stock.

Of course you are looking at over $1000 for the 2 barrel set if you start with a 50cal UL and buy the 45 1-20 barrel separately. All the parts should interchange pretty easily.

Back