Knight UL or CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be limited to a 1" long projectile.

Just to clarify for reference: there used to be a requirement in OR for the projectile to be no longer than twice the caliber. This requirement went away last year or the year before.

Knight offers a 45 1-20 Mountaineer barrel by itself. It will drop in a UL stock. You can even custom order a Mountaineer with a UL stock.

Of course you are looking at over $1000 for the 2 barrel set if you start with a 50cal UL and buy the 45 1-20 barrel separately. All the parts should interchange pretty easily.

Do you prefer getting the ultra lite in .50 cal then get the .45 fast twist 1:20 mountaineer barrel for the long range?

That is a hard call because the one thing i dont have is a light weight 45cal. I already have a DISC 45 and Mountaineer 45 1-20 barrel kit build. I also have a custom 50cal that only weighs 7.65lbs ready to hunt.

For the OP however a UL 50cal and the 45 1-20 barrel kit could work.

I’ve got an Accura V2 and considering picking up a Knight Ultra Light. Here for the comments and .45 v .50 comments.

I’ve got an Accura V2 and considering picking up a Knight Ultra Light. Here for the comments and .45 v .50 comments.
45. the last deer I killed with a 50 was the ultra lite 50 , i just really like a 45 these days, i wish they made the ul in 52

I have the .45 Accura and a couple original disc .45 rifles. Sold my .50 Accura to get the .45. So many bullet options for the .45s. But i have a bunch of dif .45 bullets that i want to shoot saboted in a .50 that I may pick up another Accura just for that.

You guys sure don’t make it easy... Is the argument for a .45 just to use a solid bullet not sabot’ed?

You guys sure don’t make it easy... Is the argument for a .45 just to use a solid bullet not sabot’ed?
You can use both, depends on your needs. And in the case of the 1:20 UL, it can be a true long distance rifle, and still have enough energy to get the job done. Fast twist UL is the best rifle on the market today , imho.

@WV Hunter I’ll have to check that out. Heard a lot of folks talking about the ultra light in a .45 fast twist. I’m in New Hampshire so I’m not taking long shots but feel like I’m always chasing accuracy.

Thanks everyone for feedback. I think i will go with a fast twist .45 UL and then buy a mountaineer barrel for the .50 later.

Most of my hunting will be for deer and my kids will also use it for deer. I don’t think I will gain much in the longer barreled .45 fast twist since I am limited to open sites.

Any recommendations for a good deer bullet for the .45, has to be legal in OR, would prefer full bore and somewhat lightweight so the boys 11 & 14 can shoot the same load comfortably. Would also like to know of a good all lead bullet for ID deer hunting since that’s what’s required there.

I was going to wait until spring to purchase a knight but with all the political BS I think I’ll just order one now.

I bought an adjustable Swinglock sizer and sized some .458 405 Remington bullets (designed for .45-70) down to fit my .45. I follow IdahoLewis's suggestion of a .50 cal felt wad under the bullet and got decent accuracy. They have been devastating on elk.
I know you can't use it in OR, but I just got some Fury .401 OT Bonded 310 gr bullets for my .45 Accura. Shot well with 80 gr. vol. BH 209. Has a high sectional density (.275) and a good B.C.

I'm also coming up short trying to find bullets. I planned on using Lehigh bullets but there 3-4 months out on the .458's I was wanting.

I ended up finding and purchasing a Nitride Coated UL 45 that has never been shot. It is a Colorado version so I will have to buy a western bolt assembly conversion kit.

great find!!! I had called around a lot of places looking for mine before ordering direct

Nphunter - time to consider casting your own.

great find!!! I had called around a lot of places looking for mine before ordering direct

I was actually going to purchase a new one and I saw that one pop up on one of the classifieds and jumped on it. Now if I could just find a nitride western bolt assembly:)

I'm also coming up short trying to find bullets. I planned on using Lehigh bullets but there 3-4 months out on the .458's I was wanting.

Just contact Bullshop and have him make you up some Goulds in .452 out of pure lead. They will weigh about 345gr. Shoot them with no more that about 70-75gr by volume of powder. Those will whack any deer within 125yards no sweat. Without knowing the actual land size of the rifle you got the .452 is the best guess. You might need .451 but Lee sells a cheap die for under $25 in .451.

Nphunter - time to consider casting your own.
I might end up going that route, I already reload all of my rifle ammo for my boys and I and also have a press and do all of my own work on all of our bows and build our arrows. I'm going to need to add on to the house soon.

Back