Knight UL or CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just contact Bullshop and have him make you up some Goulds in .452 out of pure lead. They will weigh about 345gr. Shoot them with no more that about 70-75gr by volume of powder. Those will whack any deer within 125yards no sweat. Without knowing the actual land size of the rifle you got the .452 is the best guess. You might need .451 but Lee sells a cheap die for under $25 in .451.

Are those the ones that are being shot with paper patches? I've been watching a bunch of you tube videos on paper patched bull shops and am excited seeing the accuracy. I just don't know how those would do packing them around in the woods for several miles a day for days on end before getting a shot, they seem pretty loose in the barrel for that.

Nope, i shoot them with just a wad and 70gr by volume of BH209 in my Knight 45. For hunting i use a veggie first then a wool for tighter seal. Other subs you can get by with just a wool wad over the powder. Lewis recommends using a 50cal wool wad because they will fit tight in the 45cal bore. You can get a punch and cut your own also from hard pressed wool sheets.

My Knight will stack them Goulds up as good as anything ive shot and recoil is very acceptable. You can even use less powder. The bullet just flat out works for deer within a reasonable range.

Nope, i shoot them with just a wad and 70gr by volume of BH209 in my Knight 45. For hunting i use a veggie first then a wool for tighter seal. Other subs you can get by with just a wool wad over the powder. Lewis recommends using a 50cal wool wad because they will fit tight in the 45cal bore. You can get a punch and cut your own also from hard pressed wool sheets.

My Knight will stack them Goulds up as good as anything ive shot and recoil is very acceptable. You can even use less powder. The bullet just flat out works for deer within a reasonable range.

Thanks, I have a lot to learn. I shot some PA Conicals this fall and put them in right on top off the powder, they were covered in wax in the package. Do all bullets require a wad of some sort under them?

I'm also coming up short trying to find bullets. I planned on using Lehigh bullets but there 3-4 months out on the .458's I was wanting.
Which weight Lehigh bullet did you want to shoot?

I have a couple boxes of the .458 275gn Bloodlines made by Lehigh.

Oh OK. Your looking at the sabotless bullet. Gotcha!:lewis:

Ya, they are out of stock so I may end up having to do some sizing or maybe even some paper patching? I would love to find someone that wants to give up a box or two of those sabotless bullets though. Maybe I'll post up a wanted add

I’d bet a member here has several boxes of those .

Thanks, I have a lot to learn. I shot some PA Conicals this fall and put them in right on top off the powder, they were covered in wax in the package. Do all bullets require a wad of some sort under them?
A wad protects the base of the conical and provides additional sealing. Very good idea when using subs because they burn hotter than real black. I use them no matter what powder im using. If you wont to dabble in jacketed sabotless i would suggest .060" thick polywads. They seal super tight.

Back