Knight UL or CVA Accura V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nphunter

Reaction score
I’m wanting a new muzzle loader, wanting an accurate shooting rifle for backpack hunting. I’m in OR so it has to be NW legal. I’m looking at the Knight UL and CVA Accura.

I’ve shot an older buckhorn and newer traditions muzzle loader. I know the CVA will be easier to clean the barrel in the field but that’s not a deal breaker.

Curious what others opinions are between the two. Do they both shoot well enough be consistent to 300 yards. I know the knight has a 200 yard MOA guarantee.

I’m also interested in the knight mountaineer, not sure how much more accurate it is going to be 300 and closer but also am not sure about the wood stock.

Any feedback from those who have been around both would be appreciated.

Thank You.

I haven’t found a load in my V2 that approaches MOA yet. Others have had great success. 1.5”-2” is as good as I’ve gotten with mine at 100 yards. Shooting BH209 and a ton of different bullet/sabot combos.
Edit: I personally wouldn’t buy it again.

I have 2 ultra lites,50 and 45 and the mountaineer, the ultra lite is an outstanding gun as is the mountaineer, but i like the ultra lite best, especially the 45 , that Patriot is on my list, probably going to be in my safe sooner than later, can’t comment on the cva, good luck sir

I haven’t found a load in my V2 that approaches MOA yet. Others have had great success. 1.5”-2” is as good as I’ve gotten with mine at 100 yards. Shooting BH209 and a ton of different bullet/sabot combos.
Edit: I personally wouldn’t buy it again.
I'm sorry to hear about that with your Accura. My V2 .45 I got to shoot real well using 84gr BH 209 .40 200gr SST in a HLBCRS. They didnt shoot that well in the MMP sabots they came in> About like what you're describing. I wasn't havin that either. NOw its under moa & flat out to 200yds. Avg MV is 2360fps. Mine alst shoots very well Fury STB .453's & Parker BE 250gr bullets too. It shoots the PB ELR bullets well too. Great lil gun to hunt from a self climber tree stand with too. For some cheaper target shooting I shoot 91gr W T7fff with GT Bullets .453 255gr cast lead hollow points with a .060 veggie wad. I'd hunt with that load out to 200yds as well. If things don't take a huge turn for the better with the access to & the prices of BH 209, I may have to only shoot T7.

The Knight Ulite and Accura V2 are vastly different MLs. The Accura MR would be a better comparison to the Ulite. They both share a similar market segment. I think trying to make either one into a 300yard rifle will be a struggle. Especially when restricted to PACNW regs.

A Mountaineer in a 45 1-20 would be a better choice if you are restricted to percussion and iron sites. You can get a "western" version and convert it back whenever you want to 209 primers.

Easier to clean?...i think you are forgetting about cleaning out the frame and firing pin assembly on the CVA. Using caps they get filthy internally and more tools are needed. The Knight comes almost completely apart with just an allen. Bolt removes without tools and the bolt comes apart without tools. The same allen removes the action bolt and trigger assembly on the Knight.

Only thing easier about the CVA is removing the breech plug.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I want a 50cal so if I want I can hunt elk in OR and ID. Most all of my hunting will be here in OR so it will be musket caps and 777. I shot my buck this year at 100 yards off of a cliff but would like the ability for longer or follow up shot if needed. We’re hunting open country so it’s tough to get under 100.

I borrowed a friends old BPI buckhorn this fall. I imagine the Knight will be similar as far as pulling it apart and cleaning.

I do like the idea of the mountaineer for accuracy but will be packing it several miles a day and on my pack as well so the UL seems like a better option.

What’s everyone’s opinion on the traditions G4 LDR, it’s under $400 so I question its quality?

C130261B-F3E6-4905-BAB9-38F558966C71.jpeg

If 50cal is a must and you want to save some $$$$ look at the CVA Accura Plains Rifle. Its built on the MR frame but has a 28" barrel. You can pick them up for under $450 in black/nitride. The longer barrel will give you a longer site radius but its still a fairly light rifle. Much nicer rifle than anything Traditions offers IMO. Might not work with iron sights though.

The Optima LR also has a 28" and almost as light. Pretty sure that one can be used with iron sights.

Last edited:
Knight by far. It’s just a better gun. If you can get the barrel nitrided, you might have the ultimate muzzleloader. UL and Mountaineer are great options!

I had a traditions vortek, it shot good i have to admit, but the quality compared to knight is not even close.i sold the vortek to my buddy, he likes it , but he just got a disc extreme,so that should tell you something

I’d like to add something- I cast my own hunting projectiles- I use a 500 grain flat base flat nose in my Accra PR and get about 1350Fps with a 77.2 grain by weight load of t7- super accurate- I can shoot a 5 shot group under 1.5 almost 1 moa in a 5 shot group from point blank to 250yrds no questions asked- which for a 200 yrd gun is great. But I think for the goal of being able to take 300 yrd shots consistently (even though my 500 grains are really still making good energy) I’d probably look at a different gun. Maybe do a Remington based muzzly with a prefit barrel from hanks or arrow. I build one and it’s a honest sub moa muzzy to yrd with t7 or black horn to 350-400 yrds. Now I can load up smokeless and extend that to about 500yrds on a nice day. But at the end my rem based muzzy feels more like a prs or BR rifle and I tend to hunt with Accra pr and pack with it because it feels right In the field if you know what I mean.

Attachments

• CF5EF650-931F-4858-BF10-3D8D2DE0D71E.png
    CF5EF650-931F-4858-BF10-3D8D2DE0D71E.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 247B69FD-9660-4577-8F7B-752452620ED3.png
    247B69FD-9660-4577-8F7B-752452620ED3.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The Knight Ulite and Accura V2 are vastly different MLs. The Accura MR would be a better comparison to the Ulite. They both share a similar market segment. I think trying to make either one into a 300yard rifle will be a struggle. Especially when restricted to PACNW regs.

A Mountaineer in a 45 1-20 would be a better choice if you are restricted to percussion and iron sites. You can get a "western" version and convert it back whenever you want to 209 primers.

Easier to clean?...i think you are forgetting about cleaning out the frame and firing pin assembly on the CVA. Using caps they get filthy internally and more tools are needed. The Knight comes almost completely apart with just an allen. Bolt removes without tools and the bolt comes apart without tools. The same allen removes the action bolt and trigger assembly on the Knight.

Only thing easier about the CVA is removing the breech plug.
Most people don’t realize that when they purchase a CVA

Ever wonder what happens to a CVA when you dont remove the firing pin bushing often enough and clean it out?

Here is a hint. Seems like a fairly common issue and especially critical for the NW versions.
0vO5BJ5.jpg

I can take a Knight bolt apart in under a minute with no tools. You would need at least 1-2 tools to get the CVA firing pin bushing out and its FAR harder to clean/inspect the inside of the frame. At the very least the forearm and barrel have to come off to remove the firing pin assembly. The buttstock should even come off if you plan to flush out the internals and apply a new coating of a CLP.

Shooting a NW version you better be cleaning it COMPLETELY every single time. This is not like a well head spaced 209 setup that dont leak like mad.

Last edited:
I forgot, you can get a disc extreme now in 50 for 349 I believe, thats an incredible price for a great gun

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/disc-extreme-muzzleloader/
That is a REALLY good price and all you really need to use caps is the plug and nipple. Not sure if it will be "open enough" to comply with NW regs but its not totally sealed either using the FPJ bolt housing. SO you may need the "western kit" too. Im not 100% sure. The Extreme is a bargain at that price with a real Timney trigger. Shipping is high but its still cheaper than you can get them anywhere.

Sabotloader could answer that part better since he is restricted to percussion during his ML season and shoots Knights.

If you were to purchase the new DISC Extreme with FPJ ignition, it would be really simple to purchase a Lehigh Bare Primer kit. that way you would have both 209 type ignition systems for the rifle. To go Western you will need to purchase a Bundle form Knight that includes a Bolt handle and body, a western breech plug and percussion nipples. From there the rifle is truly adaptable to any state hunting rules.

And as Scott mentioned the rifle is an excellent product.

Same state, same choices. I bought the UL first. Picked up an Optima on sale a year later. Haven’t shot the Optima yet due to time and not needing to. The Knight is a very high quality gun and its apparent as soon as you pick it up. The Optima doesn’t scream “Cadillac” when you pick it up, but it feels perfectly serviceable. Both are priced appropriately for their quality, I feel.

The Knight can use No. 11 Caps. The Western Ignition comes with Nipples for both #11 and Musket Caps. Haven’t used Musket caps, but I can say the #11 is highly water resistant if you plan on hunting the Wet Side. I recommend RWS caps.

That’s my feedback.

Buster

Thanks but the disk is $573 with the Western ignition system. I would think the UL would make more sense for me only being an extra $200?

Latest posts

Back