Knight ultra light vs Knight mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So these 2 rifles have caught my eye and I am fairly certain I'm going to pick one . Now to decide on which one though, I believe each one would have its place. I can make a case for each one with my hunting style I live in eastern Washington near the Idaho pan handle border. One day might find me in a tree stand or ground blind waiting on a whitetail while the next I'm hoofing it up 1000' of elevation trying to get ahead of a heard of elk and then in the off season just going out to see how far I can throw a piece of lead and hit something. So i guess my question is the extra velocity and stability of the mountaineer worth giving up to save the weight or would the difference be negligible. As far as caliber 45 with the fast twist is the only way to go from what I've seen but i am fairly new to muzzleloading so that's why I am asking for opinions.I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Can't go wrong with either one, pick the one that goes with the style of hunting you mostly do, and hopefully you can shoulder both before you buy

So these 2 rifles have caught my eye and I am fairly certain I'm going to pick one . Now to decide on which one though, I believe each one would have its place. I can make a case for each one with my hunting style I live in eastern Washington near the Idaho pan handle border. One day might find me in a tree stand or ground blind waiting on a whitetail while the next I'm hoofing it up 1000' of elevation trying to get ahead of a heard of elk and then in the off season just going out to see how far I can throw a piece of lead and hit something. So i guess my question is the extra velocity and stability of the mountaineer worth giving up to save the weight or would the difference be negligible. As far as caliber 45 with the fast twist is the only way to go from what I've seen but i am fairly new to muzzleloading so that's why I am asking for opinions.I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

For a Hunting Rifle, i would go with the Ultra Light!! I had a .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Knight Mountaineer and Loved it, You Won’t go wrong with Either Rifle.

My Old .45 Cal Knight Mountaineer at 600 Yards, Big Lead, and Real Blackpowder, These are VERY Capable Rifles :lewis:

To the OP, the difference between stability and velocity won’t make a big difference. I own a mountaineer, wishing I’d got a ultralite, but I’m 74 years old, if I was a young man the couple lbs of extra weight wouldn’t even be noticed. Good luck with whatever your choice be.

Welcome !!! I believe id go with the ultralight . I figure why lug it if you dont gotta ?? A good pad and/or a brake added would probably make up any difference in kick for extended practice shooting if it got taxing . Either ones really nice rifles !!! But id go light if i could .

The UL is what I would buy, for the reasons stated above, it's all I need for the hunting I do, and I will have one on the rack as soon as my canadian dollar gains some ground, green stock, nitride finish, bare 209

Personally id buy a Bestill Creations breech plug for either one too . His rear sealing bushing plug is Definately the thing to do for any knight bolt gun !!! Nothing else comes close !!! That would be a WISE move !!!

I live in eastern Washington near the Idaho pan handle border.

Are you required to use "open ignition"? because that makes a huge difference on breach plug suggestions. Washington changed their laws but Idaho has not yet. Caps would still be required in Idaho.

Last edited:
Im not sure if you can buy just the UL stock. You can buy a Mountaineer IN a UL stock though according to the custom order page.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/custom-shop/
Custom Shop
How would you like to have a .45 Caliber Mountaineer Barrel on an Ultra-Lite stock, complete with a Jeweled Ultra-Lite Bolt and a 20 MOA Rail with the trigger set at 2 lbs.? Or how about a Knight 500 barrel on a Mountaineer stock that is Zombie Green, with a nice Burris or Leupold scope mounted and ready for the range? Check out our Muzzleloader Custom Shop!
Let your imagination run wild. Let us know what sort of custom rifle you'd like for us to build just for you. Fill out the form below and we will get back with you on a quote as soon as possible!

Way too rational! If what I did make sense I'd still be on my first muzzie.

I can build a far nicer rifle for the price of 2 though. 2 Knights would be over 2 grand unless you found a deal. When it comes to that kind of cash i would rather have 1 custom built exactly the way i want it. $1350ish for a 2 barrel set is a far easier pill to swallow with wiggle room for some upgrades. Midway's pricing is pretty tempting just to get 2 though. Get one in full PACNW and you got all the parts you need for any regs.

Our Price: $991.75
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021817389

Last edited:
Back