Knight ultra light vs Knight mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one thought for you. I have a Mountaineer with a ultra light stock in .50 cal and a .45 in Mountaineer wood stock .45 cal 1:20 and l they both shoot excellent with both western and 209 conversion kits. The only thing l would consider is in Idaho you need to have a .50 cal or larger for elk. If only going for deer l think personal preference for how each feels should be your determining factor for light vs Mountaineer. I personally enjoy the Mountaineer better, but l do run a UL stock on one.

For a Hunting Rifle, i would go with the Ultra Light!! I had a .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Knight Mountaineer and Loved it, You Won’t go wrong with Either Rifle
My Old .45 Cal Knight Mountaineer at 600 Yards, Big Lead, and Real Blackpowder, These are VERY Capable Rifles :lewis:
Idaholewis I found these videos after I saw an add for these rifles and was thoroughly impressed by them. I might be interested buying a sample pack of your lead from different molds after I pick one up. That is if you would be willing to sell one.
Are you required to use "open ignition"? because that makes a huge difference on breach plug suggestions. Washington changed their laws but Idaho has not yet. Caps would still be required in Idaho.
Not in Washington but I live right on the border and at times have to drive through Idaho to get to some of my spots on the Washington side. So buying an Idaho tag is very tempting.My understanding is that these guns can be converted back and forth with out much issue.Do you know if this is the case?
But you dont need both. Buy the UL and get a Mountaineer barrel for about $350 shipped. Only takes a few minutes to swap barrels. IIRC Sabotloader has put his in a UL stock. Its a direct swap.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/mountaineer-muzzleloader-45-cal-120-fast-twist-barrel-kit/
I like this option. I think this is going to be the route i go.

Just one thought for you. I have a Mountaineer with a ultra light stock in .50 cal and a .45 in Mountaineer wood stock .45 cal 1:20 and l they both shoot excellent with both western and 209 conversion kits. The only thing l would consider is in Idaho you need to have a .50 cal or larger for elk. If only going for deer l think personal preference for how each feels should be your determining factor for light vs Mountaineer. I personally enjoy the Mountaineer better, but l do run a UL stock on one.
Hmm maybe ill have to get a mountaineer barrel in .50 then. Thanks for the heads up being a resident in Washington i had only briefly looked at Idaho's regs. I have yet to hold one so next is trying to find some were near me that has one in stock. Can you tell me why you prefer the mountaineer over ultra light?

So these 2 rifles have caught my eye and I am fairly certain I'm going to pick one . Now to decide on which one though, I believe each one would have its place. I can make a case for each one with my hunting style I live in eastern Washington near the Idaho pan handle border. One day might find me in a tree stand or ground blind waiting on a whitetail while the next I'm hoofing it up 1000' of elevation trying to get ahead of a heard of elk and then in the off season just going out to see how far I can throw a piece of lead and hit something. So i guess my question is the extra velocity and stability of the mountaineer worth giving up to save the weight or would the difference be negligible. As far as caliber 45 with the fast twist is the only way to go from what I've seen but i am fairly new to muzzleloading so that's why I am asking for opinions.I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
I own both, I purchased the ultra lite fast twist 45 this past season, I prefer it to the mountaineer. it is in my opinion one of the best guns for a production gun made.i am biased towards knight. good luck figuring it out, thats half the fun

Idaholewis I found these videos after I saw an add for these rifles and was thoroughly impressed by them. I might be interested buying a sample pack of your lead from different molds after I pick one up. That is if you would be willing to sell one.
Not in Washington but I live right on the border and at times have to drive through Idaho to get to some of my spots on the Washington side. So buying an Idaho tag is very tempting.My understanding is that these guns can be converted back and forth with out much issue.Do you know if this is the case?
I like this option. I think this is going to be the route i go.

I am in Priest River Idaho, We can’t be that far apart? If you get one of these Rifles we should get together and Shoot it, I will gladly help you set the Rifle up Properly. As for Bullets, I have a WIDE Array of .45 Cal Bullets that Run STELLAR in the 1:20 Twist. Same thing for .50 Cal :lewis:

I can build a far nicer rifle for the price of 2 though. 2 Knights would be over 2 grand unless you found a deal. When it comes to that kind of cash i would rather have 1 custom built exactly the way i want it. $1350ish for a 2 barrel set is a far easier pill to swallow with wiggle room for some upgrades. Midway's pricing is pretty tempting just to get 2 though. Get one in full PACNW and you got all the parts you need for any regs.

Our Price: $991.75
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021817389

I wish that would be my price to get a Knight UL, right now it would cost me $1600.oo CDN, shipped for free to Michigan, then I cross the border n bring it back

I have owned both. I still have the ultralight. The matte finish and lower weight made it the better hunting muzzleloader. Never had issue with my oem beech plug. But bought the leight plug due to its made from 17-4 SS.

Last edited:
I own both, I purchased the ultra lite fast twist 45 this past season, I prefer it to the mountaineer. it is in my opinion one of the best guns for a production gun made.i am biased towards knight. good luck figuring it out, thats half the fun

For me the Mountaineer just felt more comfortable. I typically prefer a little bit heavier wood stock with a wider front grip. I also own a knight long range hunter and it has a very large wood stock. I do like the ultra like stock but l have never really loved any stock that wasn’t wood. The ultra light stock is nice to lose a little weight and feels nice but for me it’s a little more challenging to find the balance point l like and the stock is narrow up front. I think the the UL and Mountaineer and equal accuracy wise and craftsmanship wise from what l’ve seen. I think it really comes down to what feels best to you personally and what gives you the most confidence in your shot.

Hmm maybe ill have to get a mountaineer barrel in .50 then. Thanks for the heads up being a resident in Washington i had only briefly looked at Idaho's regs. I have yet to hold one so next is trying to find some were near me that has one in stock. Can you tell me why you prefer the mountaineer over ultra light?
Sorry, replied to the wrong reply. Scroll down a bit for my answer.

One other thing, we are required to use lead in Idaho. I have had good luck with no excuses 420 grain with a .060 polywad in my .50’s. And other folks on here can help you with other choices as well. Just thought you might like a starting point. I’m getting 3” groups at 200 over 90 to 100 grains of triple 7.

I am in Priest River Idaho, We can’t be that far apart? If you get one of these Rifles we should get together and Shoot it, I will gladly help you set the Rifle up Properly. As for Bullets, I have a WIDE Array of .45 Cal Bullets that Run STELLAR in the 1:20 Twist. Same thing for .50 Cal :lewis:
I'm down near Blanchard small world i guess. I would greatly appreciate your help in anyway you seem to really know your stuff. That goes for everyone here i seemed to have stumbled it to wealth of knowledge on this sight.

For me the Mountaineer just felt more comfortable. I typically prefer a little bit heavier wood stock with a wider front grip. I also own a knight long range hunter and it has a very large wood stock. I do like the ultra like stock but l have never really loved any stock that wasn’t wood. The ultra light stock is nice to lose a little weight and feels nice but for me it’s a little more challenging to find the balance point l like and the stock is narrow up front. I think the the UL and Mountaineer and equal accuracy wise and craftsmanship wise from what l’ve seen. I think it really comes down to what feels best to you personally and what gives you the most confidence in your shot.
These are the kinda details I've been wondering about. I really wished they offered a more traditional looking stock I've never been a huge fan of the laminate's or synthetic(not a deal breaker). So I think its getting to the point I need to just go put my hands on them and get a feel of which one suits me best.

I'm down near Blanchard small world i guess. I would greatly appreciate your help in anyway you seem to really know your stuff. That goes for everyone here i seemed to have stumbled it to wealth of knowledge on this sight.

Yea we are REALLY Close then, 20 minutes or So :lewis: Contact me Anytime and we will get together and Shoot.

Yea we are REALLY Close then, 20 minutes or So :lewis: Contact me Anytime and we will get together and Shoot.
Some guys have all the Luck !!! There ya go Lew !!! Hook him up !!!

Bear88 , travel the world over and you wont find a better guy !!! Treat him like family and you could have a friend for life !!!

Go have some fun boys and may God Bless you both !!! :thumb:

Hmm maybe ill have to get a mountaineer barrel in .50 then.

They dont have that barrel listed but im guessing they would sell one. If not they do have Extreme 50 barrel kits for a little less. Older Extremes did not have the forked recoil lug but they will fit the stock. I have no idea if new Extremes use the forked lug or not. I dont THINK they do. That barrel might balance a tad better than a 45 1-20 barrel in the UL stock. The other difference it uses a shorter breach plug than a Mountaineer/UltraLite......All the rest of the parts should be a direct swap with little to no tinkering.

Latest posts

Back