Knight ultra lite 45 and Maximus 240

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well if anyone is interested, I shot another doe today with the Maximus, this one was 85 yards and again a complete pass through and unbelievable damage, deer made it 30 yards I don’t know how.this bullet is for real it destroyed lungs and sliced the heart, lots of hemorrhaging. I honestly don’t think I can find a better performing slug for this fast twist, impressive

Well if anyone is interested, I shot another doe today with the Maximus, this one was 85 yards and again a complete pass through and unbelievable damage, deer made it 30 yards I don’t know how.this bullet is for real it destroyed lungs and sliced the heart, lots of hemorrhaging. I honestly don’t think I can find a better performing slug for this fast twist, impressive

Very nice, I am glad to hear it. I can't wait to see how they do in my 445 SuperMag and 444 Marlin. The more I find reviews on the Maximus like this, the more confidence I have it will function as well as the Bloodline out of my muzzleloader.

How much bloodshot meat did you get and how big was the exit hole in the hide? The Bloodlines only make a small exit wound, and I am curious if the Maximus does as well?

Bigger than entry and exit side was totally blood shot , took the hide off and quartered because of the 65 degree day , that whole side was was dripping under the hide. great performance. I have confidence in the Maximus

Bigger than entry and exit side was totally blood shot , took the hide off and quartered because of the 65 degree day , that whole side was was dripping under the hide. great performance. I have confidence in the Maximus
Congrats again !!!! Sounds like we will too !!! Thanks for sharing everything !!!

DWM, how much powder are you using in your gun?
I shot a buck with the 240 grain Maximus and was impressed with the results. Dropped it in it’s tracks and as far as I could tell the bullet performed as advertised though I did not recover the bullet.
I was using the light blue crushed rib sabots in my 1:20 twist knight mountaineer with 100 grains of blackhorn by volume. Ended up switching to a full bore bullet since then as I had problems with the sabot when I got much over 100 grains of blackhorn by volume. 120 grains of blackhorn by volume and I had bullets all over the target and found pieces of sabots that came apart. At 110 grains I was getting a decent group and then would have one every few shots with a sabot failure. It would be nice if there was a sabot that could handle the heavier powder charge.
I’m curious to hear what your experience is with amount of powder used and sabot failures.

DWM, how much powder are you using in your gun?
I shot a buck with the 240 grain Maximus and was impressed with the results. Dropped it in it’s tracks and as far as I could tell the bullet performed as advertised though I did not recover the bullet.
I was using the light blue crushed rib sabots in my 1:20 twist knight mountaineer with 100 grains of blackhorn by volume. Ended up switching to a full bore bullet since then as I had problems with the sabot when I got much over 100 grains of blackhorn by volume. 120 grains of blackhorn by volume and I had bullets all over the target and found pieces of sabots that came apart. At 110 grains I was getting a decent group and then would have one every few shots with a sabot failure. It would be nice if there was a sabot that could handle the heavier powder charge.
I’m curious to hear what your experience is with amount of powder used and sabot failures.
Guys , what about sub-- bases ??? You know the ones mmp sells ??? Put the pedal to the metal and let it ROAR !!!
Just sayin......wait , damn those are for a 50 arent they ??? Gotta be a way.....maybe a poly wad in the bottom under the bullet....this is worth thinkin about this subject right here !!!! There is a NEED for a SOLUTION !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Everyone that has tried to crank up the speed on those bullets has failed. It was happening long before you ever heard about them on this forum. They have been through numerous revisions and they are still finicky. The CEB 240gr solid copper if just too long to work really well in currently available sabots. A few more tweaks to the geometry might do it but at a huge hit to BC.

Everyone that has tried to crank up the speed on those bullets has failed. It was happening long before you ever heard about them on this forum. They have been through numerous revisions and they are still finicky. The CEB 240gr solid copper if just too long to work really well in currently available sabots. A few more tweaks to the geometry might do it but at a huge hit to BC.
Rats !!! How hard can they be pushed GM54--120 ?? how many fps ??

I started with 110 grains of 777 fffg accuracy was not good.dropped to 100 , still not good enough, when I hit 90 that was great . Guy from knight told me 90 was the load with that bullet in that gun.after the season I am going to try some black horn and other slugs, I still have a couple weeks of hunting left and need to shoot 2 more to fill the freezer, and this set up is devastating on deer, but I need to test accuracy out to 200, haven’t done that yet, I normally hunt open fields but this year I am hunting more woods otherwise I would have the 52

I started with 110 grains of 777 fffg accuracy was not good.dropped to 100 , still not good enough, when I hit 90 that was great . Guy from knight told me 90 was the load with that bullet in that gun.after the season I am going to try some black horn and other slugs, I still have a couple weeks of hunting left and need to shoot 2 more to fill the freezer, and this set up is devastating on deer, but I need to test accuracy out to 200, haven’t done that yet, I normally hunt open fields but this year I am hunting more woods otherwise I would have the 52
Do you know fps ??

Do you know fps ??
No I don’t , but the 2 i shot were destroyed and I had complete pass through, the first one the bullet blew through the far side shoulder plate on an angling away shot, both were close shots second one was a pass through also with massive hemorrhage at the exit . The gun is a pleasure to shoot with this load, just not sure if it’s enough for long range for some, just sharing my experience

No I don’t , but the 2 i shot were destroyed and I had complete pass through, the first one the bullet blew through the far side shoulder plate on an angling away shot, both were close shots second one was a pass through also with massive hemorrhage at the exit . The gun is a pleasure to shoot with this load, just not sure if it’s enough for long range for some, just sharing my experience
Glad youre sharing !!! Well for sure its got plenty of power for the woods !!! Its been smackin them real good !!!
You think knight would know the velocity ?? Seems to me they suggested that load of powder iirc ??

Glad youre sharing !!! Well for sure its got plenty of power for the woods !!! Its been smackin them real good !!!
You think knight would know the velocity ?? Seems to me they suggested that load of powder iirc ??
The guy told me straight up to use that load, if it works out for 200 to 250 yards that would be awesome, I think it will, I haven’t shot past 125 yet. every time I go to the farm to shoot it’s windy. I see Toby bridges has been shooting them at crazy powder charges with no sabot issues, personally I have killed deer out to 150 with 100 grains for years I cannot see this bullet not performing well with my load

The guy told me straight up to use that load, if it works out for 200 to 250 yards that would be awesome, I think it will, I haven’t shot past 125 yet. every time I go to the farm to shoot it’s windy. I see Toby bridges has been shooting them at crazy powder charges with no sabot issues, personally I have killed deer out to 150 with 100 grains for years I cannot see this bullet not performing well with my load
Toby shooting your maximus and sabot ??? No way cuz it would work for you too !!! Other bullets maybe , that one no . Gm54--120 says that theyve never been able to really push that maximus really hard . He said that current sabots arent up to it for the 240 maximus , too short . I think id believe GM54--120 on it . Just sayin ....
In fact his reply in on this thread !!! Post #7

Last edited:
Toby shooting your maximus and sabot ??? No way cuz it would work for you too !!! Other bullets maybe , that one no . Gm54--120 says that theyve never been able to really push that maximus really hard . He said that current sabots arent up to it for the 240 maximus , too short . I think id believe GM54--120 on it . Just sayin ....
I’m not saying I believe him I just remember something about it, I will go back and see what he was doing

Went back, he was blowing the sabots apart with 130 grains, he then filled the sabot base with silicone, seems to help, I’m not going that route, if the gun doesn’t shoot and perform at 200 I will test other options. For now I love this setup and will experiment after the season. I got the gun late and wanted to hunt with it, took over a month to get it

Went back, he was blowing the sabots apart with 130 grains, he then filled the sabot base with silicone, seems to help, I’m not going that route, if the gun doesn’t shoot and perform at 200 I will test other options. For now I love this setup and will experiment after the season. I got the gun late and wanted to hunt with it, took over a month to get it
Cant say i blame you not doing that . Well after the season plenty of time to test many things . Good luck !!!

Just remember that CEB and Harvester are both sponsors and a sponsor is not gunna be overly happy with "reviews" that are not glowing. Tidbits like that are often not reported. TB claims Harvester has a new polymer coming out for the 45x40 sabot but otherwise it looked the same to me.

Versions of that bullet and even Lehighs had tons of issues with even milder smokeless loads. Loads pretty close in peak pressure to heavy BH209 loads. No one ever got them to shoot with a good degree of reliability and many guys tried in really good quality barrels like the PacNors. Even Barnes had a run of 195gr bullets with the bases just slightly too rounded. They would not shoot worth a darn. They blew sabots left and right.

Just remember that CEB and Harvester are both sponsors and a sponsor is not gunna be overly happy with "reviews" that are not glowing. Tidbits like that are often not reported. TB claims Harvester has a new polymer coming out for the 45x40 sabot but otherwise it looked the same to me.

Versions of that bullet and even Lehighs had tons of issues with even milder smokeless loads. Loads pretty close in peak pressure to heavy BH209 loads. No one ever got them to shoot with a good degree of reliability and many guys tried in really good quality barrels like the PacNors. Even Barnes had a run of 195gr bullets with the bases just slightly too rounded. They would not shoot worth a darn. They blew sabots left and right.
Thank you, I know not to believe everything that guy says, right now they are working great but I know it’s not going to let the gun live up to its potential, kinda sucks they are impressive in killing power , we shall see when I can shoot 200

Latest posts

Back