Knight Wolverine conversion to #11

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Yesterday I shot my Wolverine. Stamped on the barrel it says Wolverine 209. Flounder was kind enough to give me some supplies (red things) and I have 209s so the shooting went on and I am very happy. I did get to wondering if the Wolverine could be switched to a #11 cap?? I have a Bighorn and for all practical purposes they look like the same gun. At least plunger and breech plug wise. So this morning I swapped out my Bighorn plunger and plug into the Wolverine. It snaps a cap just fine. Trigger and safety all functioned as it should. I then tried the original plunger made for a 209 with the plug from the Bighorn and that cap also snapped just fine. Muzzy gave me this idea.

So if you folks have a Wolverine and want to shoot #11, you just need to buy a plunger style plug with a nipple. The existing plunger designed for 209s will work just fine. I haven't tried one because I dont have musket caps but with a musket nipple I cant see why that wouldn't work also.

🔍
Western Legal Muzzleloader Breech Plug

Plunger Style–50 Cal Western Legal Muzzleloader Breech Plug​

$16.99
  • This Western Breech Plug Fits:.50cal LK93, LKII, MK85, BK92, American Knight, TK2000, Bighorn and Littlehorn
  • Ignition System: Western, #11 and musket cap

I'm not sure if the 209 plunger would work. In any case I'd rather use a flat striker. Seems like the pointy one would flare out your nipple.
I like the idea of switching to a cap. I was going to use a breech plug and striker from an mk85 if I would have ever got around to shooting it.
Art

About 18 months past, Longbowsteve was selling nos jeweled plungers (hammers) flat faced) and #11 hex breech plugs . At a very reasonable price. I bought one of each and they look brand new.

Yes, that is nice about the vast majority of knight plunger rifles - the interchangeability of many of the parts.

For the #11 caps, like flounder said... its best to have a flat face hammer. The coned 209 hammer will work, but it will definitely flare the nipple out. Some folks have taken a Dremel and filed down the cone flat. The Knight redhot nipple is a great nipple also.

I have used both setups in my knight plungers, by far prefer the #11 ignition. It is a super setup. I don't even own a 209 setup anymore, all mine wear #11's.

Latest posts

Back