Large conical question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTK

Reaction score
Hi all. I currently shoot a 385gr Hornady great plains, over 80gr of 777 FFG, out of my Lyman Deerstalker.
It has a 1:48 twist. The gun likes the load.
I am planning a bison hunt, and I am concerned that the 385 is too light, especially since it has a hollow point on it. Expansion isn't a good thing on a huge animal.
I have another Deerstalker, identical to the first, and I want to work up a load in it for this hunt.
First bullet I'm trying is the 600gr No Excuses. Planning to try it over 60gr to start.
Wondering if it will do ok out of a 1:48 twist. Have heard that the huge conicals can suffer with the 1:48.
Any thoughts on this bullet or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You didn't say what caliber. I have a order coming in from Bullshop in .54 caliber, 380 gr. he says a 1:48 twist won't stabize in .54 if any bigger. They should do well also in a 1:28 twist.

You didn't say what caliber. I have a order coming in from Bullshop in .54 caliber, 380 gr. he says a 1:48 twist won't stabize in .54 if any bigger. They should do well also in a 1:28 twist.
Sorry. It's a 50.

I have heard stories of the GP fragmenting badly. I used to shoot a lot of them but never at game. They were very accurate.

IMHO you will be much better off with NE 600. A guy doesn't shoot a Bison every day. If they don't shoot from your rifle, I'd look at a different rifle.

you could try these , 600 grains Paper Patch from Buffalo Arms. One on right recovered from a deer at 300 went through length ways stopped at Femur in rear leg20190307_194239.jpg

Sorry. It's a 50.
There's only one way to know for sure, of course try the 600 gr., but I suspect you will find they won't be stable like the .54 cal. I agree with Larry if they don't shoot well, you will need a rifle with at least a faster 1:24 or 1:28 twist.

There's only one way to know for sure, of course try the 600 gr., but I suspect you will find they won't be stable like the .54 cal. I agree with Larry if they don't shoot well, you will need a rifle with at least a faster 1:24 or 1:28 twist.
They are on the way. I will let you guys know how it goes. It will be a cpl weeks before I can shoot.
Thanks for the input!

NE has a new 420 grn in the 50 cal line up. That one should be ok in a 1-48. The NE bullets are going to be a better big game bullet than the GP. Just my opinion. I have shot Elk with the 450grn NE. Great performance.

bullets used above were shot from 24 twist barrel in .50

Just found this online. I wonder if it would be ok if I loaded with only 60gr.
Not sure I even want to try. Don't feel like blowing my gun up.
May have to order the 420s.
Sucks to eat a box of the 600.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-31-22.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-31-22.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 28
You won't blow up a BP gun with a 600gr bullet but it's unlikely a 1 - 48 twist will stabilize a bullet that long.

You won't blow up a BP gun with a 600gr bullet but it's unlikely a 1 - 48 twist will stabilize a bullet that long.
Thanks. I talked to Dave, the guy at No Excuses. He said 1:48 is the threshold. Might work, might not.

Just Talked to a tech at Lyman. Said the load was safe. Same thing tho, might perform, might not.
Will post results.

No dice. She couldn't stabilize them. Wide and erratic groups.
Back to the drawing board.

KTK; It's the length of a bullet that determines it's need for a fast twist. You said the gun likes 385 Gr hollow points. It would probably shoot a 400 gr flat point as well because it won't be any longer than the existing load. Penetration should also be improved over the hollow point. A 385 or 400 gr hard cast flat point could also be an option to give you more penetration without the additional length to cause instability. 400 gr is a lotta bullet. I don't see a bison walking away. (although I never hunted them)

I know quite a few Elk have been taken using NoExcuse 45cal 385gr conicals. So I would think any grain bullet that weight or heavier in a 50cal should do fine on Bison?

Back