Large rifle primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
If one started with a clean sheet of paper to design a breechplug using smokess powders, and perhaps sabotless, would a better seal/fire etc. be with large rifle primers or a shotgun primer?

jims said:
If one started with a clean sheet of paper to design a breechplug using smokess powders, and perhaps sabotless, would a better seal/fire etc. be with large rifle primers or a shotgun primer?

A lot of people have tried the LR primers and I've seen few who like the results. This idea became popular because of a custom BP gun that shoots Pyrodex pellets to speed. The sub needs a really hot primer to burn the 200 grains of Pryodex.

Frankly put smokeless doesn't seem to need such drastic measure to work. And those who try it some times can't get accuracy.

I think 2 factors favor the 209 for dependability: 1) a smokeless MLer, even at best, has less containment of the powder than a closed cartridge, and 2) the breechplug does attenuate the flash from the primer to some degree. I believe RB's attenuates it less than the stock 10-ML2 breechplug. Edge's modified plug which RB makes for people, upon request, also attenuates the flame less. I have a modified plug on an unmentionable 45 smokeless that I shoot duplex loads in(5744 under 2015) that works well with the PR small rifle conversion. 5744 is likely the major reason this works so well. Maybe 4759 would have similiar success. Overall, I think a mag rifle primer in a very modern, efficient breechplug might work very well. RB's current plug is impressive and I understand an improved plug is in the offing. Just some thoughts.

Latest posts

Back