large rifle vs. large magnum rifle primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
After using only federal large magnum rifle primers since I got my scout conversion with His breech plug and brass primer modules, I'm tempted to try some large rifle primers. I haven't really wanted to go up to 65 gr. of 4198 , but rather have been wanting to go with a little less recoil, meaning I have spent my time trying to find a load around 56 gr. 4198 or 45 gr. of imr 4227. How many of ya'll have tried the large rifle primers in say a break action gun and prefered them over the magnum primers? I have read some posts here and there where some people experience an improvement in accuracy when going to the non magnum primer. Iv'e pretty much talked myself into getting some Large and seeing if there is a difference in my gun.

I would steer clear of any faster powder than 4198 in a conversion. 56-60gr of 4198 with a 250-275 bullet isn't bad on recoil. There is about .542 of chamber left in front of your HIS plug before the rifling starts and the nose of your plug will hold ?gr of powder. My DI holds 12gr and I believe the HIS may hold a little more. (Point) you need to have your powder column a little past the chamber area and into where the rifling begins or you may have some flame cutting as I did from too short a powder column. Just an FYI

D55, thank you for that information on the rifling gap in front of the breech plug. I will stop shooting the 4227 at this time. Just a thought I'm having, did you use any wad? I had a feeling there was a section of chamber left there as I could feel it with a short cleaning jag or short bronze cleaning brush.

I primed about 20 modules yesterday with the CCI large rifle primers and inspected each one and I have to say they appear to be better made than the federal premium match magnums I have been using. even if I go back to magnums I believe I'll stick with CCI. I need to weigh a few charges of 4198 and I'm gonna rethink the 4227 powder because of the bore damage d55 experienced with the faster powders having a short powder column thus creating a situation with his 45-70 conversion. thanks to D55 again for looking out for us . I really appreciate that.

I fired 7 rounds this afternoon with the cci large rifle primers and they did good, I was also trying a new powder and bullet so too many things changed to compare the primers with the magnums but by looking at the powder end of my modules they looked cleaner up in that nipple than they had been with the magnums. still plenty of shooting needs to be done.

I didn't shoot to good yesterday but it may well have had something to do with my fore arm stock getting some play in it. when I came home I inspected the latch mechanism and found an adjustment. It's on there tight now. I would much rather have 2 screws holding the fore arm stock on there, like the hunter model has. I have the scout conversion.

I also have a 20 gauge hunter slug gun with rifled barrel and I love that little gun. I have killed several bucks around 150 yds with it. I think the current manufactured hunters are like the scout only blued steel and no brake, which is longer in the barrel, I could be wrong on this but I think I saw this somewhere.

well today I fired only 3 shots and made a cloverleaf of about 3/4". I had tightened up that front stock, plus I recieved some spinjags today and used them on my bullet starter and range rod, plus I used a different front rest and moved it back towards the action of the gun. The load was a saboted 200sstx40 cal with 51 gr. imr 4198 and wool wad under the sabot and cci 200 large rifle primer. His brass primer modules.

I would not go that low with 4198. 56gr is already very low peak. You are probably around 2200fps@23kpsi and pressure starved.
mwBLVeo.png

GM54-120, thanks for that info, I will weigh out some heavier charges, and also go back and try my fury 225 and 250's in 40 saboted. thanks for the heads up, I was thinking that I may need more especially with me hunting the fields 100 percent of the time. 175 yds can present itself at any time.

Pressures could be better than expected with that DI plug instead of the bushing plug used in the trace.

I got my scout conversion with His breech plug and brass primer modules,
Pressures could be better than expected with that DI plug instead of the bushing plug used in the trace.

I think ive seen some DI traces with smaller amounts and they are better. Nothing with sabots though or very light bullets. You can almost see a trend here in this trace so even a HIS is not gunna do much with that load.
44kLNbe.png

Is it a HIS plug or his plug? I thought all he had available anymore was with his DI plug.

Jeff touts that with the DI plug that a 50 grain 4198 "is all you need" in one of his videos.

I have the His plug and brass modules. the reason I backed all the way down to 51 gr. is I was having accuracy problems and couldnt figure it out so I was willing to try different things. now that I shot a great group after securing my forearm stock so it won't move, I will start moving up towards 55-56 gr 4198 and a fury 225 and 250 at 40 cal saboted and see if i'm still getting good accuracy. I may end up as high as 57 gr. 4198. and I may very well get a DI plug too, but I got the HIS because Hankin's had these guns already made up and my hands are practically destroyed by a nerve disease and it is very very hard for me to just tie my shoes so I was thinking let me try the His plug first and maybe get a Di plug later to play with. I agree I need to move up in ballistics at the range I'm likely to encounter a shot being as I hunt bean fields and cut corn fields. will probably go back through some .452 bullets also now that I seem to have found my accuracy problem. ya'll thanks so much for the insight on this, being a beginner in this SML thing ya'll have really helped me. If any of ya'll have accuracy problems with a cva conversion break action gun, be sure to check that fore end for any play or shifting, there was a little adjustment under that front stock that tightened it right up for me.

Ok today was a great day also, only fired 3 shots but moved up to 54 gr. of Imr 4198, and .40 x 250 fury star tip crimp nosed bullet with wool wad and cci200 primer. a three shot group of about 1 inch maybe a hair less. Next time I'll move up to 56-57 gr. Imr 4198 and the same bullet. I really wanted this bullet to shoot well and it did. I don't think my abilities are better than 1 inch groups at this distance. I think the gun is a better shooter than me at this point. thanks to you all. Not sure if the primers had anything to do with the better accuracy because at the same time I switched from a led sled to a different rest and moved it closer to the action. also I tightened up the forend stock on the gun. this I believe made the most difference and I hardly ever hear guys talk about this issue. get that thing tight so it will barely snap onto the gun.

Back