large rifle vs. large magnum rifle primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see this 40 x 250 fury st crimp nosed bullet to be a bullet that would withstand a tough high shoulder shot or something like that and perform well. I do also have a bag of the 40 x 225 gr. bullets but havent tried them since making all the changes. light blue sabots used with all my saboted bullets and also wool wad. Oh and spinjags on starter and range rod. ordered another for my takedown hunting rod.

You will get approx 70 fps more speed from a DI over HIS and about 3K psi higher pressure per comparing trace info done by another.
I have the His plug and brass modules. the reason I backed all the way down to 51 gr. is I was having accuracy problems and couldnt figure it out so I was willing to try different things. now that I shot a great group after securing my forearm stock so it won't move, I will start moving up towards 55-56 gr 4198 and a fury 225 and 250 at 40 cal saboted and see if i'm still getting good accuracy. I may end up as high as 57 gr. 4198. and I may very well get a DI plug too, but I got the HIS because Hankin's had these guns already made up and my hands are practically destroyed by a nerve disease and it is very very hard for me to just tie my shoes so I was thinking let me try the His plug first and maybe get a Di plug later to play with. I agree I need to move up in ballistics at the range I'm likely to encounter a shot being as I hunt bean fields and cut corn fields. will probably go back through some .452 bullets also now that I seem to have found my accuracy problem. ya'll thanks so much for the insight on this, being a beginner in this SML thing ya'll have really helped me. If any of ya'll have accuracy problems with a cva conversion break action gun, be sure to check that fore end for any play or shifting, there was a little adjustment under that front stock that tightened it right up for me.

54gr and a 250gr bullet in sabot should be a very good combination. That is enough additional weight for a better burn. Just compare the speed the same day with a 200gr bullet. You will probably have very little difference in MV. When speeds are that close or the 250gr is actually faster its obvious the lighter bullet is pressure starved. I would love to see a side by side with Re7 and maybe even N120 vs 4198 and the 2 bullet weights.

Re7 dont need as much peak and N120 makes way better speed that either. Its just likes more peak too. You might be able to get down to 50-51gr of N120 with a 250gr sabot load and HIS but make as much speed as 55-56gr of 4198.

GM54-120, I may play with the n120 etc like you say but am a little concerned about where other powders are in terms of how long the powder column would be. IMR 4198 is a bulky powder that makes a plenty long column. I have a section in front of the breech plug that seems to be .600-.700 long which is slightly larger than the rifled bore, and the nose of my plug holds plenty of powder too judging by the looks of it. getting down to 50 gr. of powder I'm thinking it needs to be plenty bulky with large grains. This is all in reference to D55 damaging his apex barrel with n110 and possibly 4227.

Latest posts

Back