Lead Ball vs Powerbelt AeroTip strike point

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VKC

Reaction score
I have my 54 cal sighted in at 100 yards using 100 grain of FF with a Hornady .53 patch round ball. If I load a Powerbelt Aerotip 348 where can I expect the strike point?

Last edited:
IMHO there is no way to predict that. If you are shooting at a 2 ft x 2 ft target I think you will likely hit the target (100yds) but that's no guarantee either. Each rifle and bullet has a unique relationship. How well they work together can only be known with shooting them.

I have my 54 cal sighted in at 100 yards using 100 grain of FF with a Hornady .53 patch round ball. If I load a Powerbelt Aerotip 348 where can I expect the strike point?
I often start at 20 yards with any significantly different projectile...

I am preparing for an elk hunt this fall. I am feeling good about round ball but would like to get some experience with Aerotips in my 54 cal.

What would you use? I'm feeling pretty good about round balls.

The problem with bullets coming out of a round ball twist rifled barrel is when they strike heavy bodied game like elk & moose. The bullet is not spinning fast enough to be stable as it penetrates heavy muscle, tendons, & bone. A lot of hunters found out that a Thompson/Center Maxi-Ball worked fine as to penetration for deer & antelope, but when used on elk & moose the bullet had a horrible tendency to wander off course, often gut shooting an animal when the bullet entered in the shoulder/heart/lung area.

The problem with bullets coming out of a round ball twist rifled barrel is when they strike heavy bodied game like elk & moose. The bullet is not spinning fast enough to be stable as it penetrates heavy muscle, tendons, & bone. A lot of hunters found out that a Thompson/Center Maxi-Ball worked fine as to penetration for deer & antelope, but when used on elk & moose the bullet had a horrible tendency to wander off course, often gut shooting an animal when the bullet entered in the shoulder/heart/lung area.
It is not a problem with whatever gets hit with the mentioned projectile using (pure lead )or really big( 20-1) it goes thru or stops on far side length wise quartering .I"m sure because that's with the 50 Cal GP, the 54 will just be more ! I have never used TC maxi/mini or anything else on game deer/bear/moose /Ed

Last edited:
If you are happy with the accuracy of your PRB load at 100 yards, then I would stick with that load and just get within that range or closer and aim for the vitals. The early mountain men took elk and buffalo with guns ranging in caliber from .50-.62. Just get as close as you can to make your shot.

I used round balls made from wheel weights not pure lead for many years. They are hard enough that I used one to kill a second deer after digging it out of a tree. Always had complete penetration. No matter the angle. Might work good for elk.

FWIW I have a slow twist 54 GM barrel mounted in a TC Hawken. It's sighted for 100 yds using PRB and 90 gr of Pyrodex. Using a 295 gr hollow point Power Belt and 90 gr Pyrodex, I hit about 3" low at 100 yd; L/R is right on.

I use the PRB for whitetail with the PB for a quick backup shot (haven't needed it yet).

A 295 gr HP PB is definitely a poor choice for elk.

Latest posts

Back