Lead conical fit

Discussion in 'Sidelock/Traditional Muzzleloading' started by Jamie Hardwick, May 20, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. May 20, 2019 #1

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

As some of you know, I am really new to the ML game and I just purchased a new .50 caliber lyman GPH. When I ordered it, I also ordered a .50 caliber bullet sizing pack from No Excuses. So today, after cleaning all the shipping grease out of the barrel I started to use the sizing pack. A short story shorter, all slide down effortlessly save for the .504. But even the .504 (the largest they make) went in with very light/moderate pressure from my thumb and even less from the ramrod to seat it. Is this right?

I have heard the term "slip fit" a few times but thought that it only applied to bullets deliberately undersized with hollow bases. Are No Excuses bullets slip fit? Is this what paper patching is for? I'm not sure where to go from here since I'm not sure a bullet that was that easy to load will be good for hunting?
    Any input will be much appreciated and thanks again everyone for helping me figure this all out.

2. May 20, 2019 #2

dbowling

dbowling

dbowling

Light thumb pressure w/moderate pressure should be good.. no excuse are slip fit conical.. take and roll your conical between 2 new bastard files lightly and that will increase bullet diameter and make a better fit, its called knurling.. do a search here on the forum and there are some good treads on doing it. You can also fire a squib load of 20-30 gr of powder and will make it fit tighter, just do this before your 1st shot.

Willfish4fud likes this.
  3. May 20, 2019 #3

edmehlig

edmehlig

edmehlig

4. May 20, 2019 #4

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

[​IMG]
    Here is what it looks like after pulling it out.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

45-70 likes this.
  5. May 20, 2019 #5

bulletbusiness

bulletbusiness

bulletbusiness

I've got a White rifle that is a bit oversized. I will shoot a fouling load (30 grs of powder-no bullet) before the first shot or a couple wraps of dental floss around the bullet does the trick on that first bullet on a clean bore

6. May 20, 2019 #6

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

Jamie Hardwick

Ive never heard of knurling before, it looks like it will do the trick.

Edmehlig - Thank you for the link, He seems like he has a lot of choices. Ill give him an email.

7. May 22, 2019 #7

jlynch75

jlynch75

jlynch75

I use pink teflon tape on my bullets in all my White rifle's. Just one wrap around bullets makes a perfect fit.

8. May 22, 2019 #8

edmehlig

edmehlig

edmehlig

Jamie I sent you a conversation request to email me. I may be able to help you with your bullet issue.

Last edited: May 22, 2019